LegacyGT.com

In 10,000 miles my powertrain warrenty is up, and im thinking od swapping out my 4EAT for a 5MT. i have located the transmission itself with only 6000 miles on it for only 500$, so i think i will probably pick that up and then start buying all the parts that i need. my question is however, is the rear differential in the MT cars different from the AT cars? the 4EATs torque split is 90/10, the MT is 50/50. i was wondering if i would need the an MT rear end to handle the difference.

any thoughts?

i am pretty sure the trannys mount up correctly but you do need the rear diff and half shafts/axles, etc...

i heard that the subaru motors and drive trains were like lego blocks, you can just switch one thing out for another etc... and build on it.

i hear the STI6MT dosent mount up right..

can someone confirm this?

Yeah, bad idea. You would need to CUSTOM make it to fit, just buying the "right parts" and rear end and axles and all that does NOT add up. It is confirmed, a couple of people here on this site have tried it a ways back, but it requires such custom work that it is better to not go w/ the STI 6 speed. If I were you and really wanted a 6 speed, go w/ the 07 spec B tranny and rear ends and all. Though that will cost a bunch.

IMO 5MT is your best bet plus the rear end...

Yeah, bad idea. You would need to CUSTOM make it to fit, just buying the "right parts" and rear end and axles and all that does NOT add up. It is confirmed, a couple of people here on this site have tried it a ways back, but it requires such custom work that it is better to not go w/ the STI 6 speed. If I were you and really wanted a 6 speed, go w/ the 07 spec B tranny and rear ends and all. Though that will cost a bunch.

IMO 5MT is your best bet plus the rear end...

so are you saying the 5mt bolts right in as long as u use the whole rear end or just rear diff? What bout clutch pedals, master cylinder and all that smish smash

I am not the expert on these things, but I do know for a fact that the STI 6spd does not fit w/o major custom work.

The axles I am not sure about, but I would venture to guess that it probably would need the whole shabang, diff and axles from the 5MT Leggy...but that is just a guess.

Clutch pedal is an obvious have to that doesn't look like a just "bolt on." Master cylinder? Why would you need to worry about that? The brake system has nothing to with tranny AFAIK...

Archived