LegacyGT.com

2005 Audi S4 (6 Tip Auto) vs. 05 LGT-L (5MT)

Good engines, yes. Stellar engines, perhaps not. Especially when talking about their smaller powerplants. The 1.8T is a known quantity, not that impressive stock, but have been on the market, and modded like crazy. 2.0 FSI might be interesting. their 3.0 liter v6 again, is good, but I am not sure about stellar. The VR6 style 3.2 in the TT, again is a known quantity. The 4.2 v8 seems to be a decently powerful engine, with an oil pipeline as a fuel line. it seems like a lot of people comment on the gas mileage of that engine. Something like 15mpg normally, and as low as 8mpg when really getting on it. Porsche, BMW, TVR, Lotus, and of course Ferrari/Maserati seem like the folks with the stellar engine resumes. Audi seems like it would be in the second tier. The thing is, with subaru's recent power/displacement ratios, and longevity reputation, I think they might actually be in the second tier, as well.

The question is, do Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsu, Mazda, Ford, GM, Chrysler... Build stellar engines consistently? The engines from the Supra turbo and Nissan Skyline are stellar engines in and of themselves. The S2000 engine makes good power for it's displacement, the VQ nissan engine is nice, and the Renesis Rotary has won awards. Aside from the rotary, how much technology and knowhow for the 90's Nissans and Toyotas was indirectly influenced by Porsche's 70's and 80's Porsche street and racing cars. Porsche consistently builds superior engines. I have a hunch that Subaru learned a couple of things from Porsche's flat engine arrangement and turbos in the beginning. How many engines that make 100hp/liter naturally aspirated, have influences from BMW and Ferrari's racing developments for decades. How many engine designers learned a lot about reliable and high-performance double overhead cams from the Lotus engines (ford blocks or it's own block) in the 1960s. I am not trying to diminish toyota, mazda, mitsu, or nissans contributions, as they are very distinct improvements over what existed before. But that is just it, it existed before. The overhead valve V8s from GM, Ford, and Crysler in the 50s were amazing engines for the time. So good that they are still being used today! :laugh: It is going to be interesting to see the next BIG advancement in automotive powertrain technology. We have been on a ramp up of technology in the fine points of engine design, with fewer big break-thoughs like overhead valves, overhead cams, turbocharging, fuel injection. Mazda has championed Felix Wankel's rotary engine to a modicum of success after a long development cycle. Saab was talking about variable displacement and compression, BMW has throttle-less technology. A couple of companies are developing direct fuel injection. People talk about hydraulic valves, pneumatic valves, cylindrical valves, and all sorts of other things that haven't taken off quite yet. It is going to be interesting to watch.

I believe that HONDA make the best NA engines in the World and have taken them to quite a few F1 Championships wins including C.A.R.T Titles. AUDI and Porsche have also done well in the LeMans Series but haven't really seen Toyota crack the big time as of yet but only think its a matter of time. Toyota were hurt badly back in the 90's when their WRC Car was disqualified for being outside Championship rules and this set the image and progress of the company back.

LOL...that's funny. But the new S4's don't use the troublesome 2.7TT engine, rather the tried and true 4.2 V8. It's a nice engine, and I love the sound and exhaust note from it. My buddy is going to change all that though with an intake and exhaust early next week. Hopefully it still sounds great and not too obnoxious.

[quote name='Driver72']See results here: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=79551#post79551[/url] I'll just say, all you who thought the LGT would get creamed....WRONG![/QUOTE] Yes, but if yours was the auto and his the manual I presume the results would have been very different, right?

In Autocrossing, the S4, WRX and GT are all in DS stock.. go figure. It's really not that big of a difference in performance other than the AWD on the S4 is far more superior (if one knows how to take advantage of it).. but for the price difference between the S4 vs the WRX/GT limited, that's going to be a tougher decision to make on who is really gets the bang for the buck (my vote is on the GT Limited since it's not lacking much from the S4 from the price difference and standard options you get with the car). Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='fan42025']Yes, but if yours was the auto and his the manual I presume the results would have been very different, right?[/QUOTE] Well yes, of course. Even manual for manual, he'd of pulled away from me. Audi lists the 0-60 of the S4 at 5.3 for the manual and 5.6 for the auto. Mags have gotten the manual to 60 in basically 5.0 flat. So I was guessing the auto-tip would be in the 5.5 range. Right about where our manual LGT's are. But I thought the V8 in the S4 would pull away from me once rolling, even with the tiptronic. But it didn't. He might have pulled just a hair (1/2 car) had we been at sea level and not 1800 or so feet in elevation. And above 100 mph he might have pulled too. The tiptronic in the S4 adds 100 pounds in weight over the manual. And with the obvious hp loss to the wheels that autos have over manuals, I guess that's what allowed me to run neck and neck with the S4 auto. It's just a bit humbling that a turbocharged $30K 4 cylinder car can hang with a $50K car with a small V8. Even though it was manual vs. auto We were both surprised.

Archived