LegacyGT.com

"Soot" in the tail pipes?

i'm pretty sure i'm burning oil or something, or is this completely normal for the 2.5i? i noticed it today when coming out of a dinner for breakfast, i went back inside and got a napkin and wiped (not firmly just a tad bit of pressure) and the napkin came out black.

not that really, i mean its kind of a paste not really a soot. also, my car makes a puffing noise from behind it, i bought the car used but im pretty sure it didn't do this new?

Hey, I was just out cleaning the soot off my tips with 2000 grit sandpaper. I've owned mine since new, now 36,000. The black stuff IN the muffler tip of mine is black, thick and crispy. It chips off. I've tried rim cleaner, brasso and other cleaners but nothing will take it off. Probably why yours is pasty. Get a 2 or 3 inch cone type wire wheel, a drill and start grinding if you want them cleaned out.

None of these have a smooth idle. They all kinda stutter now and then at idle. Just the nature of the beast.

Let's kick this pig!

Turbos alaways have soot inthe tailpipe because they run rich alot

NA cars shoouldn't have as much soot and if it is indeed pasty, you may be burning some oil. Next time you're in for an oil change or whatnot mention it to the dealer.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

yeah, i would expect it from a turbo model pretty much, but not really an na not this much. only real reason for mentioning it is because my bumper to bumper warranty is up in july and i figure that they will find some way to screw me out of covering it.

Just another quick note. Check the engine compartment around your intercooler and see how much oil is buiding up on your motor. I have to clean mine by hand a couple times a year to keep it looking nice. The turbo models have a tendency to blow a little oil out the BOV and I'm sure some goes out the exhaust from the turbo too.

Unless you can actually see blue smoke pouring out the exhaust you are fine. Although someone may have just beat the piss out of it before you got it if it does smoke.

Let's kick this pig!

My opinion is that's its normal exhaust stuff. The paste you describe is just the water condensation (also normal;) ) mixing with the dry carbon build-up.

Now if this post was describing carbon build-up across your back bumper, then I'd agree something was amiss.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived