LegacyGT.com

Rearended by an H3

Bummer, I got rear ended the same day, same time (9am) while waiting at a traffic light. A honda accord hit me (the driver didn't see me at all) - 2 other cars were damaged.

Subie looked allright, but after a body shop checkout the bill is close to $4.500. What was strange was the amount of damage on the honda. It literally got under the subie, so the car was 2ft shorter after the accident, with the radiator moved to where the air intake is on turbo subarus.

Still, apart from bumper scratches and some loud noises coming from one broken tailpipe, the subaru is driveable.

I hope there is no frame damage (the body shop couldn't evaluate it without breaking the car apart, and I'm scheduled for next week - so far, they said it looks ok.).

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: Got my car back and I'm not happy with the work done. There are large gaps and misaligned panels. My right tailight didn't work and I didn't notice it for 2 days. I'm still in shock that they didn't even check to see if the replaecd tailights worked? I'm still pissed about this whole ordeal because somebody couldn't stay awake.

I'm sending my car back to have them redo the bumper, it can be much better. The interior trunk liners were also torn due to someone pulling on the liner instead of popping the pins. To make it worse, my left-rear suspension is off. This one wheel rides almost and inch lower than the opposite wheel. It looks lowered only at this one wheel. The local subie dealer is going to take a look at it this Friday. To add insult to injury, someone at the body shop took 2 cd's out of my indash changer. WTF?

In the 3 weeks the body shop worked on the car, State Farm was unable to verify insurance with the other party? I had to pay my deductable even though 100% fault was noted to the other party.

As for legal recourse, I'm still working on that. I'm truly annoyed by all this.

Thanks for the feedback, the DV will help as I feel like I'm going to take a big hit for this.

Best thing to do as far as legal goes, is to keep lots of records. Time off work due to pain, doctor visits, time to take care of your car, etc, etc. even track milage for dealing with all this. Seems like a PITA, but if you have all this logged, all you really need in most cases is a lawyer to write a letter in order to get a decent out of court settlement. Without tracking all time and money, it's real hard to push the pain/suffering for any decent settlement. As far a s being part of the broken system, the other driver is 100% at fault, and it's there insurance. get a decent settlement and keep it out of the courts. even track the time it takes you to track your time... The more numbers you have, the better your case.

hope you and your car are better..

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Best thing to do as far as legal goes, is to keep lots of records. Time off work due to pain, doctor visits, time to take care of your car, etc, etc. even track milage for dealing with all this. Seems like a PITA, but if you have all this logged, all you really need in most cases is a lawyer to write a letter in order to get a decent out of court settlement. Without tracking all time and money, it's real hard to push the pain/suffering for any decent settlement. As far a s being part of the broken system, the other driver is 100% at fault, and it's there insurance. get a decent settlement and keep it out of the courts. even track the time it takes you to track your time... The more numbers you have, the better your case.

hope you and your car are better..

^+eleventyone. You should definitely not be out anything but your time and annoyance by the end of this. If your insurance company is having a hard time getting the other party's insurance to verify, file a police report that they were driving uninsured. Play hardball. There is no other way to play this.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Hire someone for a consult, at least -- money well spent, and may apply to a retainer later if you hire them for the case. Keep a record of EVERYTHING! The more data you have, the more likely the insurance goops are to pay out properly. If they feel they can win a case, they go to court because 1. it delays the payout, and 2. they have lawyers on staff full time to wring these things out in their favor. Sometimes they will simply refuse to pay out until you have a scheister in your corner.

An old lady in a bronco coming to volunteer as an aide where my wife teaches, rolled her Bronco onto the back of my wife's parked Miata and crushed it. Took us about 13 months, but we finally got the deductible out of the other company. Lots of stupid letters about "we don't have the correct information", sent them many, many copies of our records. When we wouldn't just go away - they finally paid off.

Glad your ok.. Got lucky with that...

Definately check the dv on your car. I had hurricane damage on a Ford Ranger off road (traded it in on my suby)damage had been minor, a few scratches and spiderweb windshield strike. Anyway, because the Truck had been repainted, even though we paid the extra bit for frame off so most of the underside of the bed and cab could be done. You still get a bit of overspray here and there that can't be hidden, and they take a lot off the value of the vehicle because of that.

(because a buyer looking at the vehicle may notice the overspray and say, "Hey! this has been repainted, it may have been damaged in a wreck." and no matter what the dealer says, or Carfax for that matter, you never know for sure.

I'm glad I have my little suby now.... here in Cocoa beach drivers are as bad or worse than D. C. or L. A. (mainly because they come from everywhere and most are really old....) Ok that may be and exageration... but there are a lot of seniors here... I've been able to avoid so many near misses with my suby that my ford truck would have creamed.....

The only good Hummers are H1's... (partial to those) My business partner has one, he let his son drive it one day and he came home that night and Creamed the brick wall and light post at the edge of his drive way.... Humvee won that one... scratches to the bumper and a cracked headlight...

Hummer H1's are pretty amazing. I have a black H1. And it has been into about 2 driveway accidents. How? Don't ask. My dad has a pretty large truck and the way the Hummer was sitting in the driveway, plus its color, you couldn't even see it, and my dad rammed the rear end of his truck straight into the front grill. Result? NOTHING to the Hummer and a large dent into the metal bumper of my dads truck. 2nd time was a black 05 Camry reversing into the Hummer. Result? NOTHING to the Hummer and a demolished tailight to the Camry, plus a few scrathes on the bumper.

But anyway man, do what you can to get your money. Don't feel bad for anyone.

Yeah, the H1 is the real deal, but makes absolutely NO SENSE as a street vehicle. I truly wonder about people who use these as such. Well, at least Ahnolt can legitimately pull it off, but everyone else?

The H2's and H3's are designed for the street at least (as well as off road) but they try so very hard to retain the aggressive attitude of the H1. So I must wonder about those drivers as well. Bunch of Arnold wannabe poseurs.

I think anyone who thinks that it is really cool to be intimidating to others is basically a dick, by definition. Who needs em?

FINALLY!

Meanwhile, the House moved a step closer Wednesday to forging its own energy legislation as the Ways and Means Committee by a 24-6 vote advanced a $16 billion energy tax package. It included $6 billion in tax credit bonds that states and communities could use to promote energy conservation and greenhouse gas reduction programs.

It also extended tax credits for biomass, wind and small irrigation hydropower, and solar energy and new tax breaks for producing cellulosic ethanol and so-called “plug in” vehicles that are power by electricity from the grid. The bill would end the “Hummer tax loophole” where people can take advantage of a tax incentive for business to buy large SUVs.

I do wonder about this country sometimes.

FINALLY!

I do wonder about this country sometimes.

Never will happen. prety much the only reason there are so many suburbans, etc on the road is the tax thing. If this tax loophole were fixed, It would drive the nail in the coffin that is GM. Actually now that I think about it, part of the current adminstrations pro business tax plan extended that tax break to vehicles under the 6000 lbs previous limit, and other large capital investments. I'm not sure when this expires. This tax loop hole was designed to help heavy equipment owners and farmers be able to write off the big eqiupment they needed to get their work done. Now almost every doctor in the country drives a F***ing Tahoe.. Its wrong and needs to be fixed, but it wont.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Hate to say it but even if the loophole was corrected you would see just as many on the road.

My household would be one of them, though I am not much of a fan the wifey is BIG TIME.........

Her previous 2 vehicles were mini-vans & she swears to never go back. Anytime I suggest cars to her she has no interest found that out this week when I mentioned to her about the 06 M45:rolleyes:

I pick up my kids @ school every day I'd say the vehicle breakdown in the car line is as follows:

70% large suv's

10% crossover/med size suv's

10% mini van

10% Cars

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hate to say it but even if the loophole was corrected you would see just as many on the road.

My household would be one of them, though I am not much of a fan the wifey is BIG TIME.........

Her previous 2 vehicles were mini-vans & she swears to never go back. Anytime I suggest cars to her she has no interest found that out this week when I mentioned to her about the 06 M45:rolleyes:

I pick up my kids @ school every day I'd say the vehicle breakdown in the car line is as follows:

70% large suv's

10% crossover/med size suv's

10% mini van

10% Cars

Hybrid Escalade in your future? ;)

The argument that SUV's are safer is often used to justify their purchase. But everyone here knows that they handle like crap and tend to roll over pretty easily. Most of them don't stop too well either.

But anyone with high school physics knows that when two objects collide, the less massive one loses. So to win, get the heaviest car you can. But if most vehicles had similar mass (like it used to be once), this would become less of an issue.

The other reason that I often hear is that people like sitting up high so that they can see better. So to win again, get the tallest vehicle you can. But if most vehicles had similar height (like they used to be before the SUV craze), again it becomes a non issue.

I see small families with one or two kids cruising with mom in the Suburban or Excretion, which they 'need' because they have to carry so much of their crap around with them all the time. There wasn't nearly so much 'stuff' when I was a kid. I travel very light with my kid in the Leggy, and she is as happy as a clam.

My business partner has an H1 Alpha, he uses it mostly for business purposes. Though he does drive it daily, it's not his daily driver. (he uses it to haul gear when he sets up displays at fitness shows, and such)

The rest of the time it is used almost exclusively offroad. He's go a Mercedes SLK, a Acura NSX, and a Prius, that he uses as daily drivers. Though he won't take the prius out with his family in the car. He bought a B9 Tribeca for driving his family around because of the safety offered.

Anyway, when he bought his H1Alpha last year (it's his fourth) he paid $96,000US and got a 100% tax rightoff on his taxes each year he purchased an H1. This is a tax deduction available to self employed business owners.

Now, he didn't need the tax right off, (his income is such that he pays cash for his cars and it doesn't dent his bank account) but his accountant showed him the tax deduction and recommended it. He looked at getting a nice van for business and a land rover or gelandenwagon for fun. But it was cheaper to buy the humvee. This latest one he put a new turbo and exhaust to boost performance, which also gave him better gas mileage. It is loaned to the police fire and rescue during severe weather like hurricanes and tornadoes.

My business partner has an H1 Alpha, he uses it mostly for business purposes. Though he does drive it daily, it's not his daily driver. (he uses it to haul gear when he sets up displays at fitness shows, and such)

The rest of the time it is used almost exclusively offroad. He's go a Mercedes SLK, a Acura NSX, and a Prius, that he uses as daily drivers. Though he won't take the prius out with his family in the car. He bought a B9 Tribeca for driving his family around because of the safety offered.

Anyway, when he bought his H1Alpha last year (it's his fourth) he paid $96,000US and got a 100% tax rightoff on his taxes each year he purchased an H1. This is a tax deduction available to self employed business owners.

Now, he didn't need the tax right off, (his income is such that he pays cash for his cars and it doesn't dent his bank account) but his accountant showed him the tax deduction and recommended it. He looked at getting a nice van for business and a land rover or gelandenwagon for fun. But it was cheaper to buy the humvee. This latest one he put a new turbo and exhaust to boost performance, which also gave him better gas mileage. It is loaned to the police fire and rescue during severe weather like hurricanes and tornadoes.

I guess they still have that interesting rule that lets you depreciate 100% of the cost of a vehicle that weighs over 6000 lbs under section 179. What lunacy!

At least your partner uses the H1 mostly offroad, and lends it to first responders when they can use its special capabilities. That is pretty decent of him.

I am self emplyed and my Leggy is written off, but I am subject to the limits, just a fraction of its value every year. It would take me a long ass time to write it off completely, longer than I would probably keep the car.

Archived