LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to Mustang

Sorry I don't get to the board as often these days. I own my own business and I work 12-14 hours 7 days a week.

It all depends on what your priority is. If you want faster, you can be much quicker in a Mustang for only $24k. A Hyundai Azera is just as quick (maybe even quicker up top),has twice the room, and feels twice as solidly built. A GTO is a pretty nice package too. Even a 3.5 liter Altima offers nav, leather, and all the other goodies along with plenty of power.

If you start considering 1-2 yo used cars, it gets more interesting. Corvettes start to be enticing.

And don't get started on the "but those cars aren't AWD" or "I gotta have a stick shift." If you do, there are still other choices out there. Even the Ford 500 offers 268hp and AWD. I'm sorry but a stock LGT is just "blah." Not bad, but not barn-burning either. For some people it's the fastest, sportiest car they've ever owned and what I'm saying souinds crazy.

I stand by what I said originally. The LGT is a good platform if you want to mod. If you want to stay stock, you may find a better alternative in another car.

QFT

Sorry I don't get to the board as often these days. I own my own business and I work 12-14 hours 7 days a week.

It all depends on what your priority is. If you want faster, you can be much quicker in a Mustang for only $24k. A Hyundai Azera is just as quick (maybe even quicker up top),has twice the room, and feels twice as solidly built. A GTO is a pretty nice package too. Even a 3.5 liter Altima offers nav, leather, and all the other goodies along with plenty of power.

If you start considering 1-2 yo used cars, it gets more interesting. Corvettes start to be enticing.

And don't get started on the "but those cars aren't AWD" or "I gotta have a stick shift." If you do, there are still other choices out there. Even the Ford 500 offers 268hp and AWD. I'm sorry but a stock LGT is just "blah." Not bad, but not barn-burning either. For some people it's the fastest, sportiest car they've ever owned and what I'm saying souinds crazy.

I stand by what I said originally. The LGT is a good platform if you want to mod. If you want to stay stock, you may find a better alternative in another car.

although i have not driven a gto (which is not currently in production, btw), i have driven a mustang and i imagine the driving experience is similar. i have also test driven a tl, which i imagine is sportier than an altima, and much more so than an azera. and a ford 500, well, i won't even go there. i can tell you that a stock lgt is WAY more fun to drive than all of those. i can also tell you that it is much more pleasurable to ride in on a daily basis than a rock hard corvette suspension.

curious, where did you test drive a modded lgt before you bought one, cause i'm certain if you test drove a stock lgt, you would have said "blah" and went to purchase a ford 500 instead :rolleyes: . sorry, john, but i think you've been working too hard lately. time for a road trip to get reconnected to your subie :wub:

I didn't say I didn't prefer the LGT. After all, I bought one, and I still have it 2.5 years later.

I just said depending on your priorities, the LGT may not be the ideal car for some people. We know people buy cars for different reasons -- otherwise, how would the Accord sell in such numbers? Some people may want to sacrifice some nimbleness for more room, or give up AWD for a stronger top end pull. Some - just not me.

I never even rode in any modded Subaru before buying my LGT. I knew that the 2.5 liter had proven potential. I liked the car's combination of comfort and go-fast possiblity. I've had more than half a dozen turbo AWD cars so I knew that was my preference.

If a buyer's goal is performance, as soon as they ride in a Stage 2 car they'll order the parts. A 99-100 mph car is ho-hum average these days; a 105 mph car is a new ballgame. A stock LGT may be exciting if you came from a SUV or a Civic; it was the slowest car I'd owned in a decade! Ok, so my 01 Grand Marquis was the slowest, but even it had an intake, Superchips programmer, and could beat a WRX from a roll -- it got really ugly after 70.

this is actually what you said:

There are better cars out there for the same price.

you didn't say "Based on your priorities", you just said "better".

here were my priorities:

1a. Fun to drive

1b. Reliable

2. Fast

3. Interior comfort & style

4. Safe

i did not limit my vehicle search to subarus, nor to turbo awd vehicles. yet, for the money, i could not find any vehicles that top the lgt with the above overall priorities in mind. if you're saying there are better cars out there, i am still anxious to hear.

btw, i'd be interested to learn the half dozen or more turbo awd cars you have owned (more so than the grand marquis)

"Fun to drive" is so subjective. Drive my 92 GMC 4x4 for a week and anything will be "fun" when you first drive it. For some people the V6 Altima would be plenty fast and fun. The SE-R is a nice package, FWD or not. For other buyers, even the Azera's suspension is "too firm" and the steering "too quick." Both these cars run mid 14s - or what an average LGT driver will net, especially an automatic version. Even a Toyota Rav4 has similar acceleration.

Anyway, I've owned a 92 Eclipse GS n/a (bought new), two 92 Eclipse GSXs, a Talon AWD, an 89 Mirage turbo, a 91 Galant VR4 (#746), a 91 Stealth TT, and a 94 Stealth TT. Yeah, the Mirage wasn't AWD but it's still a lot of fun. I actually owned the GVR4 and the Mirage at the same time -- the two rarest Mitsus ever offered.

The Mirage lost the valvetrain after the t-belt broke and I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Last I heard it was in the St. Louis area with a 2.0 conversion and 120+ mph traps. Six months later the tranny in the GVR4 screwed up and again I couldn't afford the fix so it was sold. It was in the Beaufort, SC, area as of about 2002.

Link >> My cars - has some of 'em but not all.

The DSMs weren't anything spectacular. My finances weren't what they are today so they all ran in the 13s with a few bolt-ons. The 91 Stealth was my first 12-sec car (12.90s on a MBC and downpipe) and the 94 was my quickest. Even then it didn't have anything other than bolt-ons.

zmarko- Out the door was $33900, and sticker was ~$35 something. It had a couple of "extras" on it. If anyone is in the Socal (Orange Co.) area, you can't beat Irvine Subaru!
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Archived