LegacyGT.com

Storage bin removal?

grn

Aside from using the center storage bin to store my sunglasses, I also use it to store receipts or driving directions. I recently opened the cover halfway and then shoved a piece of paper in the gap and closed the cover to hold the paper in place. Great right? It was fine until I opened the cover and the paper fell back into the dash! How do I remove the bin to recover this paper that I need? Not only do I need the piece of paper, but I'm also worried about a piece of paper living in an area that gets pretty hot (as the label warns).

Help.

(Attached is a picture showing where the piece of paper "disappeared".)

sub.jpg.f4e076cfc2618c649058ad8b07758a43.jpg

Hey GRN,

You can just use a screw driver and pop the whole unit out. The vents and cubby and info panel all pop out as one. Just be careful as there is a wireharness attached info panel which you might have to unplug to get to the paper.

Thanks Googalash.

Does the panel come out any easier depending on where you pop it out with the screwdriver? I'd like to avoid damaging the dash.

Thanks.

I'd go from one of the bottom corners. It should pop out fairly easy if I recall correctly. However there may be 1 screw inside the back of cubby so doulble check that 1st. Don't think there is but not 100% about it.

Personally mine is a little differant caue I replaced the stocker with JDM OEM and put in a double DIN aftermarket navi unit in place of the cubby and reloacted the info panel down to where the little pop out ash tray is.

I wouldn't rely on the screwdriver. It's a bitch to remove, takes some pulling. there's a walkthrough around here somewhere.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Use a cd, you don't mind scratching, and slide it between the vent/cubby bezel and the dash.

Start on one of the bottom corners and pull the bezel toward you.

After you get it started just work your hand around it to relaese the rest of the clips.

Hope this helps

Tom

I'd go from one of the bottom corners. It should pop out fairly easy if I recall correctly. However there may be 1 screw inside the back of cubby so doulble check that 1st. Don't think there is but not 100% about it.

Personally mine is a little differant caue I replaced the stocker with JDM OEM and put in a double DIN aftermarket navi unit in place of the cubby and reloacted the info panel down to where the little pop out ash tray is.

Pics? Place(s) purchased? Prices? Happy with it?

I'll get some pics up tonight when I get home.

As far as what I bought it was:

Double DIN kit from Rallitek - http://www.rallitek.com/dodincopa.html

Info Panel kit from Rallitek - http://www.rallitek.com/inparebr.html

Navi I bought was an Pioneer Avic Z1 - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/division/demo/0,,2076_310069681,00.html#unit=AVIC%20Z1

The 2 kits from Rallitek work great and I had no issue putting them in. One thing to note however is the info panel relocation kit comes with a wire exteneder and yeah don't use it. The wire exteneder even though it has the correct harness only has 7 wires while the the USDM harness has 9. Extra 2 wire are for the passanger seat weight/airbag sensor. If dont have it hooked up it will through a CEL. Luckily there is just enough extra wire in the dash you can make it reach without using the extender. Its just a little tight. As I say though those 2 kits where well worth the money and they worked great besides the minor wire issue.

As far as the Navi is concerend it rocks my socks. I absolutely love it. While I don't use the navi feature that much arund town when I have used it, it worked great. As far as the AV features go it is freaking great. I love having the HDD in hte unit that I can rip my CD's too.

I'll get some pics up tonight when I get home.

As far as what I bought it was:

Double DIN kit from Rallitek - http://www.rallitek.com/dodincopa.html

Info Panel kit from Rallitek - http://www.rallitek.com/inparebr.html

Navi I bought was an Pioneer Avic Z1 - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/division/demo/0,,2076_310069681,00.html#unit=AVIC%20Z1

The 2 kits from Rallitek work great and I had no issue putting them in. One thing to note however is the info panel relocation kit comes with a wire exteneder and yeah don't use it. The wire exteneder even though it has the correct harness only has 7 wires while the the USDM harness has 9. Extra 2 wire are for the passanger seat weight/airbag sensor. If dont have it hooked up it will through a CEL. Luckily there is just enough extra wire in the dash you can make it reach without using the extender. Its just a little tight. As I say though those 2 kits where well worth the money and they worked great besides the minor wire issue.

As far as the Navi is concerend it rocks my socks. I absolutely love it. While I don't use the navi feature that much arund town when I have used it, it worked great. As far as the AV features go it is freaking great. I love having the HDD in hte unit that I can rip my CD's too.

How much cutting did you have to do to make the double DIN fit? I was all ready to try to hack up a factory stereo / HVAC unit until I read your post. This seems like so much simpler of a solution. I actually haven't bought the Legacy yet but will be getting one shortly. I have an Avic-Z1 in my Acura now, though, and I love it.

Whenever I have an interior piece off, I take a few digital pics so next time I know what the clips look like and where they are located which gives me an idea of the best way to proceed.
It is still ugly.

Archived