LegacyGT.com

Suspension Installation Service Request

sportwagon

What is your estimate for the following Install Price?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is your estimate for the following Install Price?

• Free... ha ha! Don't I wish!
    • >$1000 Yikes! I hope not!

This is a copy of the request that I sent out to eight different area tuners/shops:

Request for Installation Service:

I have a 2005 Legacy GT with approximately 52K miles. I have an extensive modification list that includes numerous suspension modifications. I have accumulated all of the remaining suspension pieces to complete the suspension modifications. I am now looking for a well-qualified and experienced shop to complete the installation and align/tune the suspension.

The Legacy is daily driven and used to commute to and from work, but it is also a show-winning car, too! Receiving the “Best Interior and Audio System” category at the 2006 Wicked Big Meet. I would like to be able to display the car again at the 2007 Wicked Big Meet on June 17th, so service would have to be completed by the 15th at the latest.

I am willing to accommodate the chosen shop by leaving the car for however many days that they may need to complete the suspension tuning, as I should be able to acquire alternate transportation for several days if need be. I am also willing to advertise for or represent the chosen shop at the 2007 Wicked Big Meet if the labor costs for the installation/tuning are waived or greatly discounted.

The following is the list of suspension parts that I have installed currently:

• Cusco Sway Bars (F: 23” / R: 21”)
  • AVO Adjustable Endlinks (F & R)
  • Cobb Rear Sway Bar Mounting Bracket Reinforcement Bracket
  • Cusco Front Lower Brace
  • STi Pink Springs
  • STi Strut Tower Brace

The following is the list of suspension parts that the chosen shop would install:

• JDM GT Bilstein Struts
  • Strut tops, dust covers and seats for JDM Struts
  • JDM STi Pink Springs (currently on car)
  • STi Trailing Arms
  • Spec B Aluminum Lower Control Arms (front)
  • Poly Lower Control Arm Bushings
  • Cusco Rear Lower Brace
  • DBA Slotted Rotors
  • Hawk Brake Pads
  • Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings
  • Cusco Exhaust Hangars

Installation Note:

Before the Aluminum Spec B Lower Control Arms can be installed they will need to have the rubber LCA Bushings pressed out and then pressed into the stock steel Lower Control Arms, which will be removed during the install and remain as a back up part. The Perrin/AVO Bushings will be pressed into the Aluminum Spec B Arms before they are installed into the car. Also, I would like the stock struts springs to be reassembled to be an easily swappable back up part if need be.

Thank you,

It may seem like alot, but really the only chore is the trailing arms. Everything else can be done very easily. it would be way under a grand for install, around the $500 mark. Ive installed everything on your list except for the trailing arms, in my driveway in one afternoon.

It may seem like alot, but really the only chore is the trailing arms. Everything else can be done very easily. it would be way under a grand for install, around the $500 mark. Ive installed everything on your list except for the trailing arms, in my driveway in one afternoon.

including the bushings- pressing them in/out? There is much of it that I can do... but getting it all done at once, including the tougher pieces seems like a much wiser choice.

whitetiger is correct and his price is reasonable (note to my NC friends - he actually CHARGES :lol: ). With a press the bushings are a no brainer.

I wasnt saying i would charge 500. i was saying a shop would charge around 500.

BTW i gotta finance my mod craze somehow.:lol:

quotes so far:

Dent Sport: $1000-1200 not incl. alignment (booked until June 1st) Verbal estimate

XX Tuning: 1,575.69 includes a basic alignment ($85) and $89.19 of sales tax?? (they sent a very detailed PDF copy of an Estimate valid for 7 days)

Quote from email response:

-

Thank you for thinking of us to help you complete this project. We would be more than happy to work with you on this upgrade and if you read any review of our work on any forum you will see that we are second to none at fabrication and suspension setup. We are more than qualified if not the most qualified out of the recipients of this e-mail. We have a German made Beissbarth wireless alignment system which utilizes 8 CCD sensors and laser in each head for highly accurate measuring. This system is far superior to any run of the mill Hunter system and is the system of choice for the following auto manufacturers: Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and many more high end auto makers. Most alignment shops follow the recommended specs given by the manufacturer, we on the other hand talk to you about how you want your car to handle and ask questions like: what kind of driving do you do? Are you aggressive? Do you care about tire wear? Then we set the car up for you to the exacting standards that has given us our reputation, we never compromise. When setting camber, caster, or toe on any vehicle we shoot for exact numbers (not a range like most shops or the dealership). If you think this sounds good you will appreciate the care and attention to detail that goes into your installation as well. Anyone can put suspension parts on cars, but its how you do it (from tools to what chemicals and lubricants you use) and what you look for along the way for potential problems that makes the difference. We work on Porsche, Audi, BMW, Lotus, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Subaru and many other high performance cars. We prepare street cars, rally cars, and road course cars as well as tube frame chassis from the ground up. Our shop rate is $75hr which is more than reasonable for the expertise you receive. If you would like any references please let me know and I will furnish at least 4 or 5 immediately.

-

Very impressive!

Price??? 75/hr... better than others, but how long does the precision installation take at $75 an hour???

I am very interested to talk to Synaptic 3!!!

Est. Time /Rate /Sub-Total

Struts/Springs/Seats/Covers/Strut Tops Swap ________- 4 - 90 - $360

Installation of STi Trailing Arms ________- 2 - 90 - $180

Installation of Spec B Arms ______- 2.5 - 90 - $180

Swapping Bushings Aluminum/Steel Arms ________- 3 - 90 - $270

Installation of Cusco Rear Lower Brace ________- 0.5 - 90 - $45

Installation of Rotors/Pads _________- 2 - 90 - $180

Installation of Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings __________- 1 - 90 - $90

Installation of Cusco Exhaust Hangars _________- 0.5 - 90 - $45

Basic Alignment __________- 1 - 85 - $85

Shop Supplies _________- 1 - 6.5 - $6.5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sales Tax - $89.19

Total - $1575.69

If a shop is going to quote you flat rate labor times for each component, they are ripping you off. Most of those parts "overlap" when installing.

If I charged you 8 hours, plus an alignment, you'd be around 800 bucks.

Yeah... the overlapping is why I am doing it all together!

I could do much of it in my own driveway, but since the things I can't do are literally right next to or attached to these parts it makes sense to have it done all at once.

Est. Time /Rate /Sub-Total

Struts/Springs/Seats/Covers/Strut Tops Swap ________- 4 - 75 - $300

Installation of STi Trailing Arms ________- 1 - 75 - $75

Installation of Spec B Arms ______- 2 - 75 - $150

Swapping Bushings Aluminum/Steel Arms ________- 1 - 75 - $75

Installation of Cusco Rear Lower Brace ________- 0.5 - 75 - $37.50

Installation of Rotors/Pads _________- 3 - 75 - $225

Installation of Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings ________- 1 - 75 - $75

Installation of Cusco Exhaust Hangars _________- 0.25 - 75 - $18.75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sales Tax - $0

Total - $956.25