LegacyGT.com

Dealership woes with bubbling paint...

I posted here a few days ago about paint bubbling on my rear trunklid. It is bubbling near the license plate, all around (the plastic piece). My car was sold new in September '05 and I purchased it from the same dealer (salesman knew the 1st owner) in November '06, along with a Gold Plus extended warranty.

I went in to the dealership to get my oil changed and figured I'd show them the bubbling paint, too. They looked at it and said that they wouldn't do anything since it had been resprayed. The trunk lid has NOT been resprayed. I found my salesman, he went to service with me and told them that this car is mint and has never had any respray. They decided to change their story and said that even if it hasn't been resprayed, they can't fix it because it is out of warranty (though only 18 months old, the car has 45k miles on it). I asked how something like paint can be affected by mileage, and how come it isn't purely a time-related issue? They said they didn't know, but couldn't fix it. Starting to get irritated, I asked why the Gold Plus extended warranty that I'd purchased didn't cover it, and they said that warranty doesn't cover paint. I went and go my salesman again, saying I was pretty disappointed with how poorly I was being treated for something that is CLEARLY a factory defect on subaru's part, and he went and spoke extensively with the service manager, finally saying he couldn't do anything. The service manager told me that they wouldn't cover it unless it was rusting through, then they'd reconsider. I showed him the bubbles and asked how long to expect them to rust through, and he said it would show within a few months (this is where I LOL'd, since I knew the part was plastic!). He said there was no more they could do, so I told them i would not give them any more business, and was calling Subaru of America to voice my dissatisfaction with that dealership, and the issue with the paint and not being warrantied. I will call SoA on monday.

What do i do now? I'm pretty pissed about all of this, and can't believe how poorly this dealership treated me, after doing ALL of my service there, PURCHASING my car there, etc. Ugh.

Great timing, i am having issue with my paint also.

I won't be able to go back to the same dealer I purchased the car from because i went out of state.

I will be heading over to a dealer around my area.

I just realize my clear coat is peeling off, it is around the rear driver side window.

The car is only 4 months old, even though i got hit twice but I am 100% positive it is no where near the damage area.

This is very disappointing for me, it is my first legacy and the paint issue is really a reason I should reconsider when I get a new vehicle.

This is one of the risks of buying a used car. The previous owner could have been in an accident without reporting it and had the trunk repaired out of pocket. I don't know if paint defect is part of the Gold Plus extended warranty, if not, then the dealership has a case.

I hope you have a better luck with SOA.

I am also having issues with the paint on my spoiler. In certain light you can notice the paint starting to bubble. I am the original owner of a 2006 that I've had for 11 months.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

interesting. i also have some paint issues on the rear bumper where the trunk lid hits and rubs. the clear coat bubbles up, yet is not cracking. my car has 30K miles and from what hubby (service advisor) found out from SOA, you now have to send in pictures with a detailed explanation of what and why. My trunk lid has been rubbing and hitting the rear bumper (i have the OEM spoiler) since day one. we submitted the pics and requested they fix it, but not much else we can do. :(
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

pour water on it everyday and make it rust like a MF 5 year unlimited rust. I had a 1994 Legacy and in '03 I had the entire wagon repainted because the rack on top had rusted. 4 months left on the rust warranty OMG I was so happy. Oh and the dealership argued about it, Just walk into the floor and run every potential buyer off, then they started to listen.

I too, have paint issue on the rear c pillar. I had spidering in the clear coat. However, the day before I was going to the dealer, I was rear ended and damage affected the area of concern.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

I don't quite understand. You state that you are out of warranty and that the extended warranty does not cover the paint. So why would you expect to have it fixed for free?

What am I missing?

Question, doesn't Subaru have a longer corrosion warranty? A lot of cars have things like 6yr/unlimited mile coverage - does Subaru not have something similar for paint/rust?

Archived