LegacyGT.com

why did subaru.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, i wouldn't be so sure... we've got someone down in the retirement state with some tricks up his sleeve, as gathered from other threads.

I don't believe 30PSI will be out of the realm. I do know of several LGTs running 24+ of boost with the (gasp) plastic manifolds. I do 22-23 with no issues.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

I highly doubt that a well made thermoplastic intake manifold is the weak link when upping boost pressure.

Our plastic manifolds have been tested @ 30psi & have had no issues;)

fair enough. here is what i meant to post:

We talked to some of the top Subaru and Legacy 2.5 GT tuners like Crawford Performance, Cobb Tuning, Easy Street and Squid Auto (formerly Kingpin) to get their take. Here's what we found:

The Legacy's EJ25 uses the same block and similar heads as found on STIs and '06 WRXs. The main difference is the intake manifold and associated plumbing. In order to reduce manufacturing costs, the Legacy motor uses an ABS plastic intake manifold and end-tanks on its top mount intercooler. This is good for weight reduction and lowering intake temperature, but comes at a cost for high-boost turbo cars. Unlike conventional aluminum intake manifolds and runners, plastic manifolds typically use a recessed rubber O-ring to seal against the cylinder head instead of a flat gasket. Under stock boost, this is fine, but for anyone who wants to upgrade turbos or just increase the stock boost levels past 17psi, the O-rings just might do a Challenger. The plastic intercooler end-tanks will have similar issues with high boost or prolonged beatings at stock boost.

While bolting up an aluminum STI manifold to the heads in order to hold more boost is a relatively easy task, getting the rest of the Legacy fuel, vacuum and boost plumbing to fit is not. Changing manifolds requires almost a complete engine bay fuel system swap since OE-quality fuel lines and connectors are near impossible to modify. That means the intercooler and throttle body will have to get changed out too.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0706_sccp_2008_subaru_wrx/future_sti_plans.html

ummmm...having seen my manifold pulled off as well as tgvs, we have gaskets for both junctions between intake manifold and tgv and tgv to engine block.

no problems and i think sport compact did as much research as they could have. crawfords own lgt with a twinscroll turbo has the stock intake manifold.

Mike

so i cant just paint it red with normal paint?

I would use high-heat capable paint, and a plastic-compatible primer. Or a high heat paint that bonds with plastics chemically. Sanding the plastic may be necessary, to give the paint a non-glossy surface to cling to.

You want something that sticks well, and that withstands the heat under the hood.

The red crinkle-coat stuff would probably approximate the color and texture of the STI's red aluminum manifold as closely as possible, if that is the direction you are wanting to go.

why did Subaru start making plastic intake manifold on the legacy and 08 wrx's?

Kiyanichenko,

I wondered the same thing after I noticed that my wifes 07 Impreza has a metal manifold.

I asked the tuner when I was getting dynoed and he said that BMW and MB has been using plastic in their manifolds on the full range of US models for 3-4 years.

Morrisok

Kiyanichenko,

I wondered the same thing after I noticed that my wifes 07 Impreza has a metal manifold.

I asked the tuner when I was getting dynoed and he said that BMW and MB has been using plastic in their manifolds on the full range of US models for 3-4 years.

Morrisok

ya but you see, they are not turbo charged and know one is planning on dropping a turbo into them.

ya but you see, they are not turbo charged and know one is planning on dropping a turbo into them.

Yes while most of the models of BMW and MB in the US are not turbo charged there is the BMW 335 (turbo petro) and MB E320 Blutec (turbo diesel) which are both turbo and many of the models of both BMW and MB outside of the US also have a turbo diesel or petro choice.

Morrisok

can i replace the O-rings with something stronger?

it is already a gasket... if you want, i'll take pictures of the ones i have sitting here... Harman Motive reused my stock gaskets ;) 23lbs of boost.

Mike

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61976

Stock "plastic" manifold, who knows what kind of godly amount of boost... seems fine.

The plastic manifold not holding up to boost is not necessarily a problem as reported by Sport Compact... There are plenty of us here running lots and lots of boost with the stock lgt plastic manifold.

Mike

generally engineers would design these things to contain a 'proof' and 'burst' pressure. each of those is determined by either a max normal operating pressure or a failure pressure and then a factor is used to determine a requirement for pressure containment. at proof, no yielding or damage can occur but at burst some yielding/leakage can occur as long as it's not a sudden release of pressure. for commercial aerospace, the federal aviation regulation specifies the factors. for automotive, im not sure it's regulated but im sure they use a similar approach. even still, automotive generally dont optimize until they have tiny margins on the requirements as weight isnt as big of an issue, especially in a passenger car. so you can assume this thing will take a good bit amount more pressure than the stock levels. i was surprised when the end tanks popped off of peoples ICs at such low levels for those reasons.

Archived