LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake/heatshield w/o exhaust upgrade

EidolonSix

Everyone will tell you it won't but if you want your warranty it's all you have at your disposal. I started out with the intake and now have the catback added to round out the powerpack package and each step did increase at least power under the curve with the exhaust adding the most of the two by far. You are not going to get the intake on and piss your pants from the increase in HP, it will at least seem faster due to the new sounds you get coming out of the intake. All whooshing and growling is intoxicating!! :lol:

I have the SPT intake and exhaust now and they compliment each other nicely. It seems to quiet down after a feww hundred miles, but it could be me getting used to it. I do plan to go with a catted DP and possibly headers, if I can get ahold of a set of good wrapped ones. I'm sure that would amplify the sound a little more and maybe round out the sound. If only Cobb would hurry up and bring out the AP so I can step up the mods.

I have the SPT exhaust and I love it, the sound is great. Not quite as cool as my Contour SVT sounded, but still very nice. If the Intake sound is just as good I may get it. Also waiting on the AP. Does anyone with an '06 have a SPT intake and an AP? Does the intake give you any gains after tuning?

Yes an AP stage 1 or any kind of tuning other than stock will void your warrenty. However, if something goes wrong and you need warrenty work, just unmarry the AP and convert the maps back to stock and I believe the dealership will never know it was even there. Thus, not voiding your warrenty.

As for the SPT intake, an off the shelf map from Cobb does NOT include or take into consideration any kind of intake. If you contact a company like TDC you can actually tell them all of your mods and they will make a custom tune for specifically what you have. Costs about $125 for the custome tune and you can look for an extra 15hp with there custom tune and an intake.

Hope it helps...

Personally, I am very value oriented, and the Megan Racing TBE is the cheapest and one of the finest pieces offered to the legacy crowd. Full stainless steel and hand tig welded. Not to mention Paul (Boostjunkie) is the best in customer service I've ever had in any business, period. He's really a great guy. But for a lil over $800 you can have the full stainless TBE with no cats and no cel's!

Having it, I am in love with the sound. At idle it sounds like a v8 mustang with its low grumble, and only loud when you want it to be. The sound never gets old to me. Other exhausts drone which I personally dislike, but MR keeps it quiet while just cruising, but still giving that nice low rumble.

For the price nobody can beat it. Autospeed is $1000 because of their sale but it has fitment issues I've heard. The cobb is a great piece dont get me wrong, probly the nicest piece offered to legacies exhaust wise, but I cannot jusitfy the price! It's like $1500-1600 for the full TBE right? That's just nuts!

I paid $799 for the MR TBE, so with the exta $800 your saving, imagine the possibilites! :dm:

Zac

• 1 year later...

Are the Cobb AP maps set to only go along with the Cobb pipes or do the various exhausts have no effect on what the ap does. Any problems with the Megan exhaust fitting onto legacy?

Personally, I am very value oriented, and the Megan Racing TBE is the cheapest and one of the finest pieces offered to the legacy crowd. Full stainless steel and hand tig welded. Not to mention Paul (Boostjunkie) is the best in customer service I've ever had in any business, period. He's really a great guy. But for a lil over $800 you can have the full stainless TBE with no cats and no cel's!

Having it, I am in love with the sound. At idle it sounds like a v8 mustang with its low grumble, and only loud when you want it to be. The sound never gets old to me. Other exhausts drone which I personally dislike, but MR keeps it quiet while just cruising, but still giving that nice low rumble.

For the price nobody can beat it. Autospeed is $1000 because of their sale but it has fitment issues I've heard. The cobb is a great piece dont get me wrong, probly the nicest piece offered to legacies exhaust wise, but I cannot jusitfy the price! It's like $1500-1600 for the full TBE right? That's just nuts!

I paid $799 for the MR TBE, so with the exta $800 your saving, imagine the possibilites! :dm:

Zac

i dont believe they are only designed for cobb pipes, i've checked with some others about it.

however, if you read the details for the maps it describes the systems they are designed for. stage 1 is for stock intake / stock system, but i've been told that a CBE with stage 1 will not be harmful. however, they specifically say that it is for the stock airbox OR the cobb intake/airbox.

i'm planning on getting a Borla CBE soon so i've been looking at it. i currently have the SPT intake, and i like the sound most of the time. sorta felt a difference without it, because when i test drove my car it had a SPT intake on it, and then after i tell them i want to buy it they tell me it wasnt supposed to be there and took it off. i test drove again and thought i felt a difference so i convinced them to put the SPT back on (though i have no heatshield). i have the stock airbox still (but i think i'm missing some pop-clips), i'm trying to decide if i want to switch that back in when I buy an AP or talk to them and see if it really will be a problem with the SPT intake. either that or buy the intake/airbox from cobb with the AP and see if i can get a deal heh...

SPT Exhaust is good...

SPT Intake, VERY BAD...

Honestly folks. All testing done by independent sources shows that the SPT intake is a very poor design on our cars and is actually dangerous on anything other than stock cars. Even on those it is borderline...

:spin:

yeah I've seen all the bad comments about it. sorta kicking myself for having them put it back on before i found this website. ah well, doesnt seem too difficult to put the stock airbox back in, i'm just gonna have to buy popclips and i hear they're way more expensive than they should be

on the talk of the AP...how do you know if you have a 2005 or a 2005.5?

SPT Exhaust is good...

SPT Intake, VERY BAD...

Honestly folks. All testing done by independent sources shows that the SPT intake is a very poor design on our cars and is actually dangerous on anything other than stock cars. Even on those it is borderline...

Is it ok if you have a tune for it? I'm running Stg 1 now and just put one on.

2011 Legacy 3.6r w/multimedia

2005 WSP LGT *sold

2006 Tribeca Limited NAV/DVD *sold

2005 FXT *traded

2003 WRX *traded

SPT air intakes relocate the MAF sensors. Extensive testing was required to make sure the smooth airflow of the intake was compatible with the sensor. Tested in traffic, on the dynamometer, and under light and heavy loads at low and high speeds, the MAF output in the SPT intakes proved to be accurate because of the smooth airflow.

http://www.driveperformancesubaru.com/pics/shared/grey_arrows.gif ENGINE BAY TURBULENCE TESTING

SPT air intakes also reposition the air filter within the engine compartment. If the air filter is positioned in a particularly turbulent part of the engine compartment, that turbulence can disturb airflow across the MAF and affect its output, causing its output voltage to spike. Tested at speeds well over the legal limit, the SPT intakes’ MAF voltages were as smooth as with the OE intake.

got the above from here...

http://www.driveperformancesubaru.com/version3_2/upgrades.asp

Is this propaganda or true?:confused:

I like the sound but am not willing to damage my engine to get it.:spin:

2005 WSP LGT *sold

2005 FXT *traded

2003 WRX *traded

It is propaganda...

Independent testing showed that they did not do a good job of keeping smooth airflow. It only gets more dangerous as you tune and modify the car more.

You can get a tune for it, but you have to have one specifically from a tuner that takes into account the SPT Intake...

:spin:

Thank-you for the response.:)

I'll wait for my map.

It is propaganda...

Independent testing showed that they did not do a good job of keeping smooth airflow. It only gets more dangerous as you tune and modify the car more.

You can get a tune for it, but you have to have one specifically from a tuner that takes into account the SPT Intake...

2005 WSP LGT *sold

2005 FXT *traded

2003 WRX *traded

Installed the intake and it'll be coming off tomorrow. I don't like it, just not for me - guess I'm the type that has to touch the stove to realize it's hot.:lol:

The SPT intake and heatshield will be for sale in the members section soon.:spin:

2005 WSP LGT *sold

2005 FXT *traded

2003 WRX *traded

• 9 months later...

Archived