LegacyGT.com

Current wrx owner here looking to trade up...

Siorange

Hello everyone i just registered today. Nice site you guys have going on here. Currently i own a 02 wrx and i've been thinking about trading up for a 05 legacy. I have absolutely no mods on the car except springs, jdm sti lights and front lip so as you can see power is not that important to me. Believe or not i'm one of those people who bought the bug-eye for its looks potential (not stock)! I think the WRX is plenty quick (coming from driving a 93' bmw 525i) so i didn't feel the need to mod it. I love the rex but the one big gripe i have is that it isn't refined enough. The car is a blast to drive but i need something that doesn't have so much road noise and is a bit more comfortable.(And the low end pick up is nothing to right home about too). So my question is, should i move up to a 2.5i Limited or just pony up and get the GT? I'm not big into speed, just need something that is comfortable, good in snow and decent pickup. Anybody have any experience with buying a 2.5i Limited? I checked around and noticed something strange at the local dealerships. they're listing the specs as 163HP, but when checking the subaru website they're stating the 2.5's should have 168? whats the deal?

Moved to Pre-purchase Questions. I'd test drive both and then deceide, the one major advantage the 2.5i has is gas milage, approx. 5 mpg better than the GT. Would it be MT or AT? If I was buying a 2.5i it would have to be MT. 163hp in California due to emissions requirements, 168hp everywhere else.

It's 168 hp There are a few missprints in the Subaru borchure, so don't take everything you read in the Subaru paper work as gospel. If HP is not that big for you go with the 2.5i. You should do yourself the favor and test drive both. The GT is so amazing. Gave a STI owner a ride in my 05 GT I have a manual boost controller set at 15psi. This guy was really amazed how quick the car is because it doesn't feel that quick. The Legacy is a much more refind chassie then the smaller Subby's. I have given friends who are Toyota Camry people rides on a 2 hour trip to VT in my 00GT. They said they thought there Camry was quite, they now know the Legacy is quiter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oops! sorry about posting in the wrong forum. Anyways, this car would most likely be an automatic. My wrx right now is a 5-speed and my gf hates it. She can't drive my car so when we go out on weekends i'm always the designated driver which sucks. How much should i expect to pay for a 2.5i limited vs the GT limited? edit: Oh i forgot to mention i am in Mass. if that helps.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Like Gumby said, drive both versions. And don't buy a car based on what your girlfriend likes. That's kind of like tattooing her name on your body...

[quote name='jedimaster']Like Gumby said, drive both versions. And don't buy a car based on what your girlfriend likes. That's kind of like tattooing her name on your body...[/QUOTE] Haha, no i would never do that. My girlfriend doesn't like my WRX too much and i'm driving that now. Her only pre-requisite is that my next car has to be an automatic. I would move up to get an A4, TSX or 3 series which would make her happy but I want as little car payments each month as possible. So the 2.5i limited is an ideal substitute for the more refined features that i want at the 24k-25K price range. I'm sure i'll end up financing some amount for my next car but i want payments to be around 150 or so.

[quote name='Siorange'].... So the 2.5i limited is an ideal substitute for the more refined features that i want at the 24k-25K price range. I'm sure i'll end up financing some amount for my next car but i want payments to be around 150 or so.[/QUOTE] $150 a month for 60 months would only let you borrow ~$8500. AT Limited Legacy with no other options would cost you ~$24K. That's ~$26K with tax. Since you only want to finance $8.5K, you'll need to come up with the other $17.5K, which is a nice chunk of change. That's something to think about.

2.5i? Not the GT? Don't knock one out of the park only to miss touching home plate... I too went from an '02 Rex to an '05LegGT...stage 2 Rex...trust me, you will miss the power, the 2.5i is slower than the WRX you currently 'like'.

I have a 05 2.5i wagon and an 02 WRX. Since I already owned a WRX, I didn't feel the need to spend the $$ on the GT. Sure the 2.5i is slower than my WRX and the GT. I do occasionally miss the WRX power when I'm driving the 2.5i, but to me, the 2.5i is a great deal and a lot of car for $22k. The gas mileage is a ton better than my WRX also. The 2.5i has a nice quite and comfortable ride as well. It's quite the opposite of my WRX.

Get both of them out on the road and get the feel. You can read and read and read but nothing like getting in the car and just going for it. It can be hard giving it to a car with a salesperson in the car so see if you can go yrself, trust me, it will be worth it. The GT has a lot of things going for it over the WRX, comfort and pure power are the first that come to mind. Always good to hear ppl coming across from the WRX, Enjoy. Adam.

[quote name='nimaxpro']$150 a month for 60 months would only let you borrow ~$8500. AT Limited Legacy with no other options would cost you ~$24K. That's ~$26K with tax. Since you only want to finance $8.5K, you'll need to come up with the other $17.5K, which is a nice chunk of change. That's something to think about.[/QUOTE]The REX is totally paid for and i have money in the bank to throw down on a payment. :cool: I figure that i can sell it for at least 15K because my car is totally stock except for cosmetic parts from the factory with 39K on the odo. But i will definitely go test drive both as other members have advised already. The other question i have is what type of octane does the 2.5i and GT take? I pay 25-32 a week for gas depending on prices around here.

Archived