LegacyGT.com

while sitting @ a light today........

kits for the RX7 tend to put the chevy small block, but Miatas usually get the ford small block, for some reason. Maybe it is just due to the MonsterMiata project, and trying to replicate the small-block Cobra ethos with a Miata shell.

small block this, small block that, There are other engines in the world.

First off, I would keep a rotary in an RX7, as I said, preferably a 20b 3-rotor with a twin-scroll turbo sounds nice.

Put a small block in a hot rod... in a consumate light weight little japanese honest sports car built to replicate the philosophy of some of the fine sports car coupes of europe; a chevy engine just doesn't seem quite right, even if the specs are good.

The lotus V8, DOHC, small displacement, high-revving, compact and turbocharged just seems like a piston equivalent to the engine that the RX7 was designed for. It was designed to be modular, and high-tech. And probably less expensive than a ferrari V8 or some other similar small displacement multi-valve V8.

But I am not saying that any of you can't put a chevy V8 in a 'X7. It does sound like a fun car, and very powerful, no doubt.

kits for the RX7 tend to put the chevy small block, but Miatas usually get the ford small block, for some reason. Maybe it is just due to the MonsterMiata project, and trying to replicate the small-block Cobra ethos with a Miata shell.

small block this, small block that, There are other engines in the world.

First off, I would keep a rotary in an RX7, as I said, preferably a 20b 3-rotor with a twin-scroll turbo sounds nice.

Put a small block in a hot rod... in a consumate light weight little japanese honest sports car built to replicate the philosophy of some of the fine sports car coupes of europe; a chevy engine just doesn't seem quite right, even if the specs are good.

The lotus V8, DOHC, small displacement, high-revving, compact and turbocharged just seems like a piston equivalent to the engine that the RX7 was designed for. It was designed to be modular, and high-tech. And probably less expensive than a ferrari V8 or some other similar small displacement multi-valve V8.

But I am not saying that any of you can't put a chevy V8 in a 'X7. It does sound like a fun car, and very powerful, no doubt.

Uh part of the appeal of doing an engine swap is to upgrade the power and reliability of a car, for a relatively low monetary outlay. All of the setups you propose are engines that would probably cost a great deal more than a small block Chevy, may not weigh any less, and be far less reliable and much more complex.

I love LSx FDs. They are good looking, powerful, handle well, reliable, easy to get parts for, and they piss off RX-7 fanboys. What's not to love?!

I would really like to build one when I get the funds a few years down the road.

My previous car was an FC Rx-7 turbo stock, I sold it to my buddy who threw an LS1 in there, at first I thought, "what a shame", until he took me for a ride!

The sound alone is worth the price of admission, never mind going from a high 14 1/4 to a low-mid 12

So unholy but oh so right!

:)

Archived