LegacyGT.com

Headlight Adjustment?? Anyone??

Hi All, I took my car in for its first oil change the other day. I aslo had the dealer look at the alignment (which was fixed) and also to have the headlights aligned. At night time it is clearly off (right light a bit higher then the left.) I got the car back, the oil was changed and the alignment was fixed...The Service manager proceeds to tell me "oh your headlights weren't out of alignment, you foglights were and we adjusted them for you!" I hardly used the foglights and I said headlights!! Needless to say the headlights are still out of alignment and i'd rather just do them myself. I just figured that since the car was at the dealers they could do it all in one fell swoop!! Wrong...Does anyone or Has anyone attempted this?? Thanks for your Help!!
~Sucka-Duck~

it's so you can see the signs on the RIGHT side of the road.. while the left is cutoff a bit to keep your headlights from blinding on-coming traffic. For WRX bugeye owners, there were a lot of talk about JDM projector headlights vs EDM projector headlights, the JDM are aimed higher for the left (cuz they drive on the right side of the road) while EDM is aimed for the right. Of course, one [i]can[/i] get a JDM headlight (right or left) to even out the light pattern to have: (US left) ___/----\___ (JDM right) (for more light in the center of the road) ...or... (JDM left) ---\____/--- (US right) However you want to see fit, it can be modded. Keefe
Keefe

you should use your fogs or highs then.... You really should have the dealer put the lights back in spec.. they should be lower on the left as not to blind oncoming traffic... but the right higher is fine to read signs. I dunno if the overall headlight height is too high.... I have only had a couple people flash me after 2000 miles of driving... And i know that at least one of them was in the DAYTIME (letting me know my lights were on?) So... I guess they are just fine...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='carman493']I actually got brighted 3 times last night...i love it when i can turn on my brights and show them how bright my lights really are. I must say the headlights are the best i have ever had.[/QUOTE] Hey, yeah...[i]that's[/i] showin' 'em." Nothing like being blinded to show them what's for. If people are flashing you, it's worth having your alignment checked, as your lights could be a bit high. The "close in black" thing will happen, because of the sharp bottom cutoff of projector beams. The observation about raising your fogs just a bit and having those serve as driving lights, as they can run in conjunction with the low beams, is a good tip. Many people did that with the WRX. Just be careful not to set them too high. They can be adjusted by removing the plastic surround, and turning the adjustment screw clockwise to raise them, counterclockwise to lower them, same as the WRX. Kevin

I believe it is the reverse on the 05 legacy - counterclockwise actually raises them. I found this out by trial and error. My 00 Legacy was the opposite. And I dont think you need to remove the plastic surround either. I believe the adjusment screw is already accessible (if my memory serves me...)

[quote name='GTWag']I believe it is the reverse on the 05 legacy - counterclockwise actually raises them. I found this out by trial and error. My 00 Legacy was the opposite. And I dont think you need to remove the plastic surround either. I believe the adjusment screw is already accessible (if my memory serves me...)[/QUOTE] Good to know. Thanks, GTWag. I thought that when someone else did it (and posted), you had to remove the plastic surround. And you're right. I'm thinking from facing the car the wrong way. Clockwise moves them down, counter moves them up. Sheesh... Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Good to know. Thanks, GTWag. I thought that when someone else did it (and posted), you had to remove the plastic surround. And you're right. I'm thinking from facing the car the wrong way. Clockwise moves them down, counter moves them up. Sheesh... Kevin[/QUOTE] Clockwise: down Counter-clockwise: up Facing which way? Ken

well i know part of the issue with the headlights being high is that when i get on it, car front of the car obviously go up, not off the ground obviously but raises a bit, and I think that has a lot to do with it, so people think i might be flashing them. Also, its not just our cars, several other makes have the same effect where the lights are just factory bright and people dont know that those arent brights until you bright them. just my .02

The headlights on these cars are exceptionally bright and have an abrupt cutoff. And if you're coming over a rise, they may seem like high beams when they shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers. This seems to be the norm for new cars these days, especially Japanese cars. I know I've almost flashed a few people because I thought they had their high beams on, but as they close on you, you get above their cutoff line and they're fine. As a side note, do wagon owners get flashed less by oncoming drivers than sedan owners? I have a wagon, and have only been flashed once (coming over a hill). Do the wagons ride higher in the back owing to their stiffer rear springs? sqrl b8

[quote name='squirrel-bait']The headlights on these cars are exceptionally bright and have an abrupt cutoff. And if you're coming over a rise, they may seem like high beams when they shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers. This seems to be the norm for new cars these days, especially Japanese cars. I know I've almost flashed a few people because I thought they had their high beams on, but as they close on you, you get above their cutoff line and they're fine. As a side note, do wagon owners get flashed less by oncoming drivers than sedan owners? I have a wagon, and have only been flashed once (coming over a hill). Do they wagons ride higher in the back owing to their stiffer rear springs? sqrl b8[/QUOTE] I think someone noticed that the wagon does indeed have more ground clearance than the sedan. I get flashed more riding my bicycle (two NiteRider HID lights :D ) than I have in the car, which was once. Kevin

The service manual page in regards to headlight aiming is posted in this thread: [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5101"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5101[/url] Wagon should have their headlight aiming 3mm lower at 10ft. Outbacks are higher. As far as clockwise/counterwise, one need to say if he's looking towards the rear of the car, or the front of the car. Doesn't matter if you're upside up or upside down.

Archived