LegacyGT.com

Haynes Legacy Manual

tekkitan

Are these any good.. There was a stack of them for all sorts of subaru's at this technical book store i went to about a month ago, but I had just watched a top gear episode where Clarkson slagged them off for some reason.

Many a mechanic has started with Haynes and Chilton's manuals (now the same ownership).

They are good enough for most usages.

Nothing beats a Subaru Tech manual, but for the cost involved, the Haynes will do.

Personally I have been using them for about 30+years and have had very few problems with them.

O.

I haven't seen one yet that was very helpful for anything technical. If you're a clueless idiot and can't figure out how to take of the lug nuts, then they might be useful.

that's not called for. there is PLENTY of technical information in this manual.

haynes over chilton (even tho same company)

just installed a radiator in my 95 integra and checked these out while i was picking up fluids. haynes had a nice writeup on doin the radiator and chilton had nothing. haynes was also much more organized and easier to find info in.

i disagree with ivwarrior. there is a LOT of technical info. maybe he was born with knowledge of replacing a timing belt.

Well, I picked up at that tech books store a manual to teach me the ins and outs of automotive drive trains, running gear etc.. it's very good, cost allot ($130NZ), and is teaching me allot about engines.. Stuff I want to know, like exactly how a gearbox does what it does etc. But regarding doing my own maintenance and services on my legacy, it's not subaru specific in any way. How much is it for a proper subaru manual? That would suit me just fine. And more importantly, can you get it over the net?

I don't like that auction..

Seems shady and too cheap. The 2006 in the picture looks photoshopped. It's too broad a range of model years as well. Forestor should be grouped with Imprezza, not legacy.

It usually takes Haynes and Chilton 2-3 years or more to get a book out for a new car. 05+ Legacys are completely different from earlier models to the point that a shop book would have to contain two sets of directions for every teardown if it actaully covered those years. And the forrestor is alot different than the earlier legacy's too....so it just doesn't make sense unless that book is a foot thick.

edit:

Ok, so i looked up Haynes and they do list a 2000-20006 manual for Legacy and Forestor. My guess is that they list the 2005-6 legacy as being unchanged.. as does quiet a few manufacturers out there.

Someone get ahold of this manual...i'm intrigued now

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I don't like that auction..

Seems shady and too cheap. The 2006 in the picture looks photoshopped. It's too broad a range of model years as well. Forestor should be grouped with Imprezza, not legacy.

It usually takes Haynes and Chilton 2-3 years or more to get a book out for a new car. 05+ Legacys are completely different from earlier models to the point that a shop book would have to contain two sets of directions for every teardown if it actaully covered those years. And the forrestor is alot different than the earlier legacy's too....so it just doesn't make sense unless that book is a foot thick.

edit:

Ok, so i looked up Haynes and they do list a 2000-20006 manual for Legacy and Forestor. My guess is that they list the 2005-6 legacy as being unchanged.. as does quiet a few manufacturers out there.

Someone get ahold of this manual...i'm intrigued now

Um, I have one in my hands right now :p

i only posted this because it has helped me, i figured i'd let someone else grab one

ok..so how to they differentiate between 04 down and 05 up?

Well, if something is the same for all years, they don't mention anything. Usually stuff is different though. As an example, they have different diagrams of the exhaust system for early non-turbo of the Legacy/Outback class, non-turbo later models, and turbo later models. They pretty much separate the directions for things as well. It's as organized as it could be other than splitting the book for each make and generation of Subaru.

The only thing i found was an incomplete listing.

I had an 04 PZEV which had the strange equal length headers (borrowed from the H6) which had three cats and 5 O2 sensors. It was not shown.

The air filter was also from the H6.

IIRC, the fuel pump is listed on the wrong side under the seat.

No longer have car and just wanted it for possible use.

I just haven't gotten to the point to spring(?) for the Subaru service manuals.

I don't want to download portions for a price.

Mods take precedence.

Besides you people are much more colorful than a manual :lol: .

O.

Well, of course it isn't going to cover EVERYTHING. But it covers mostly everything of the most common vehicles of those years and of course if you want better manuals, go buy the official Subaru Service Manuals for a ton of money instead of something that covers mostly everything that costs $20 :)

I bought this one off ebay, the weak point is that it covers too many models in one book. You spend half your time searching for the instructions for specific car.

I always liked having a Haynes manual around, even if I did have the FSM but this one's just inconvenient to use.

My advice...vaca pix

Maybe get this as a secondary source of info...

Then go do that :)

someone did it already for all of us:p

I bought this one off ebay, the weak point is that it covers too many models in one book. You spend half your time searching for the instructions for specific car.

that's what i figured it'd be like

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived