LegacyGT.com

So, yesterday morning I'm cruising down the 405 freeway going to work. I'm doing 70-75 in the fast lane and the car just ahead and to the right of me runs over a damn retread, tossing it directly into my path. With cars right and left in the carpool lane, there's nowhere to go. I nailed the thing.

It partially tore off my STi front lip. Didn't actually damage the surface of the lip itself too bad, but it ripped out two of the screw mounting locations on the right side. Fortunately, I have the SSI skidplate, so although there's a big rubber mark down the plate, nothing under the car took any real damage. The clear bra did it's work for the most part too, although the retread wrapped around the lower portion of the front bumper and scratched up a bit of paint right around the center vertical portion of the bumper.

I was pretty much able to do repairs, with a little 3M tape, some PVC cement and Super Glue, and some nice big washers to get the bolts holding zone to spread outside of the damaged area. Enough that I showed a couple of people who aren't real car people and the only thing they noticed was the rock mark on the other side of the lip from a canyon drive earlier in the week....

I'll try to post up pix of the repaired lip sometime soon, but I'm glad I was able to make the best of things, 'cause a new lip would've been damn expensive!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Back in '01, I was traveling back down I-5 from Seattle in my '02 Impreza 2.5RS, just about to enter Portland. I had only had the car for 6 months, and it was the new "bug eye" version. I'm in the left most lane, doing 70, and following a small Toyota truck. Somewhere up ahead, someone lost dry wall of all things, which this truck runs over ahead of me. In the process of this, the dry wall was kicked up into the air in such a way that I hit it dead on. The angle was as such: My front left light hit the bottom quarter of the wall, the top of it hit my windshield with such a force that my rear view mirror was facing down. There was dry wall forced under the molding at the top of the windshield.

In the split second that it all happened, it appears that the wall was coming directly for me, as in at my head. My body's instinct was to protect my face from this thing that I thought was going to go through the windshield, so I actually ducked down almost to the point where my head was below where I could see over the dash.

Somehow I managed to not run myself off the road. I had to drive through the rest of Portland and stop at the rest area south of it before I could see what exactly happened. I'd never been so damned scared in my life, being that this was my first real road accident.

Humorously, my mom's only real sadness was that the "really cool Subaru emblem" had been knocked clean off during the incident. She wanted to keep it :p

The insurance bill for this was nearly $4K :(

closenight.jpg.dc97cfc5c24f247d348cbb4715acdbb4.jpg

closetop.jpg.2b64fa05dfa78b64ab2dcc75fca3d9d8.jpg

drivesideclosefrontday.jpg.73d6745f01b60aa1d7e468008c7c327f.jpg

frontclose.jpg.5ce3c5a8c518f210ff8f03a6f059b3c3.jpg

frontclosenight.jpg.5cd818bad248b82e4915cb30c72ca491.jpg

fullfrontday.jpg.71fe229530210fdf5e8276fb3b0b0802.jpg

fullfrontnight.jpg.468a8c7d0bb971c8cb79138f90279c11.jpg

windowtopday.jpg.7cfdbe2cab730948a74c2f2c9cc79b20.jpg

windowtopnight.jpg.b08c9f34313fa32ad7121cb4d3229c72.jpg

sorry to hear about your misfortune......and i know this is terrible, but i'm still not all the way awake, and upon first reading i could've swore you wrote "....runs over a damned retard....." "i nailed the thing."

had to read it three times, but i got it----retread.........thankfully it wasn't a retard and you're car isn't in too bad a shape.....

I'm picking my 05 GT up from the body shop today. On I25 in Denver in heavy traffic and a pickup truck kicked up a metal pole about 3 feet long (still not sure exactly what it was, it was so fast). $2k worth of damage - entire right headlight assembly shattered, bumper was hit so hard that one of the metal supports behind it punched a hole outwards through the bumper, big crease in the hood and the passenger side fender looked like somebody took a circle saw to it and chopped up the leading edge. Thank goodness it didn't hit the windshield, I think it would have come right through. I'm glad I hadn't cleared & blacked the headlights yet, would have had to redo one ;)

sorry to hear about your misfortune......and i know this is terrible, but i'm still not all the way awake, and upon first reading i could've swore you wrote "....runs over a damned retard....." "i nailed the thing."

had to read it three times, but i got it----retread.........thankfully it wasn't a retard and you're car isn't in too bad a shape.....

Thanks...now everyone in the office thinks I am insane trying not to laugh!

Sorry to hear your accident, at least the damage was minimal and no one was hurt.

My father hit a retread once in his little Saturn. Fortunately no damage or injuries, but he pretty much thought he was going to die when it happened and same thing he had no where to go but right into it.

Sorry to hear about your car, I also know whats its like to be attacked by those stupid retreads. In my last car I had retreads kicked back up on my car twice. The first time it was heading to a Mazda meet in Chicago and it came up the front fender and ripped off my drivers side rear view mirror. I went to look in the mirror to see where the tire went and I didnt have a mirror haha. The next time was on the way back from Dallas and it came up and was flattened out, it took out the hood, broke the inside of the headlight and the HID blub but not the outside lense, and nocked out my side marker somehow.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

:(:(:(

Sorry to hear it man

About 10yrs ago I hit a semi tire that was still on the wheel, it had fallen off a transport.

Close to 3k in damage & since Florida is a no fault state my ins had to cover it:rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

[had to read it three times, but i got it----retread.........thankfully it wasn't a retard and you're car isn't in too bad a shape...../QUOTE]

... as my daughter would correct me they are called "special needs".

Me : "Nice turn signal ya stupid retard"

Daughter : "... special needs, Dad."

[had to read it three times, but i got it----retread.........thankfully it wasn't a retard and you're car isn't in too bad a shape...../QUOTE]

... as my daughter would correct me they are called "special needs".

Me : "Nice turn signal ya stupid retard"

Daughter : "... special needs, Dad."

very true......my brother has been handicapped since a very early age, so i typed that with an intimate knowledge about special needs. but if we can't laugh at ourselves, or can we laugh at?????:)

Archived