LegacyGT.com

Am I the only idiot who did this?

I was going to change my oil for the first time for my 2006 Outback 2.5 wagon, and instead of draining the oil, I drained the ATF fluid! It just looked like it was where the oilpain drain plug should be...So now my car is on ramps and I need to wait to go the Subaru dealer since no local auto parts store has the Type J Tranny fluid. The book cals for total qty of 9.8qts, but I oly drained probably a little less that 4 qts total. I assume that should be all I need to replace. I am an idiot...I know this........So am I the only one??:mad::confused:

nope almost every quick lube in s. florida has bought a 5eat or 4eat

Ha, that's funny. Forgivable mistake for an amateur (I would probably do it too if I had an AT), but not for a quick/jiffy lube place. One can only hope they make good on the cars they trash.

When I bought my '05 NA, the dealer had a buyer appreciation night a few weeks later. The service manager warned us not to change the oil at any quick lube shop because of that same mistake. He also pointed to a crate tha contained what he said was the engine of a customer who went to a quick lube. I thought he was BSing. Now I guess he wasn't.

You really had a T-70 bit on hand, but didn't know the transmission from the engine? You are def not alone, mannnnny people have done this. I just would have thought that needing a weird tool would clue you in to double check what you are doing. But, can't say that I haven't done equally silly things along the way. Well, maybe not equally....

When I had a SAAB 900 (older, not the new midget) I took it in for an oil change at Montgomery Wards. Just an oil change mind you.

When I checked the oil the next day, it was very high so I assumed the brain dead 'mechanic' had put in a quart too much so I got one of the suction drains that you can put down the filler spout and removed a quart, then another, then another, then...... (PANIC!!!)

It turns out that the afore mentioned 'mechanic', drained the manual transmission and filled the oil with what was effectively a double charge.

After going ballistic with the manager and getting all of the fluids correct, I called SAAB. They said to not worry too much because they will ocasionally drain the tranny and run the car while dry to see how much damage it will cause. Happily for the short distance I put on the car it was alright.

• 2 weeks later...

My father (ex-mechanic) and brother (at the time, a future mechanic) did that to my '91 DSM...

They volunteered to do the oil change while I was at work since they were doing all of the other family member's cars and when I got home and saw all the empty ATF bottles I knew something was up... ;)

• 9 months later...
You really had a T-70 bit on hand, but didn't know the transmission from the engine? You are def not alone, mannnnny people have done this. I just would have thought that needing a weird tool would clue you in to double check what you are doing. But, can't say that I haven't done equally silly things along the way. Well, maybe not equally....

The 4EAT doesn't have a Torx drain plug, that's why the confusion exists.

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to change my oil for the first time for my 2006 Outback 2.5 wagon, and instead of draining the oil, I drained the ATF fluid! It just looked like it was where the oilpain drain plug should be...So now my car is on ramps and I need to wait to go the Subaru dealer since no local auto parts store has the Type J Tranny fluid. The book cals for total qty of 9.8qts, but I oly drained probably a little less that 4 qts total. I assume that should be all I need to replace. I am an idiot...I know this........So am I the only one??:mad::confused:

Nope.

I get plenty of cars that came from Jiffy Lube, Goodyear, Firestone and any other shop that doesn't have anyone that knows Subies that have that done or worse. Half the time they undo the transmission filter putting a hole in it and then realizing it is the wrong one, reinstall it and 1,000 miles later, transmission fluid is everywhere. I even seen one with an engine filter on where the transmission filter goes:lol:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived