LegacyGT.com

Kumho ECSTA ASX

LegacyMUN2k6

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was real close to buying those, but then i got a better deal on Toyo Proxes FZ4's. i love them and glad i went with them. i'm not knocking the Kumho's, that's what i originally wanted, but i got a better deal on these, and i was told they were better for all (3 season) tires. not bad in the snow either. i have 225/40/18's.
It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

I have the ASXs on 17x8 wheels, 235/40/17. Ok snow traction, good in the wet and dry. Moderately hard sidewall so still decent steering response but not too harsh a ride. I have 225/40/18 Yokohama AV ES100s on 18x8 wheels. I only use them for autox and trackdays now since with Swift springs and stock shocks, the Yokos hammered my butt (much stiffer sidewalls) and were pretty uncomfortable on bumpy back roads or rough interstates. ASXs are much better in this regard but still handle pretty well. 225 or 235 width, you won't go wrong, espec. for the price.

I'm using them on my stockers now and love them.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'm about ready for tires... Boy am I confused. Been searching / reading up here on Kuhmo vs Conti vs Pirelli vs RE960AS vs 225 vs 215 vs soft sidewall vs harsh ride vs good in snow vs more likely to bubble vs tire rack customer reviews...

Oy vey! Lots of good information. I just need to make a freakin decision...

Leaning towards Kuhmo's in 215.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I'm about ready for tires... Boy am I confused. Been searching / reading up here on Kuhmo vs Conti vs Pirelli vs RE960AS vs 225 vs 215 vs soft sidewall vs harsh ride vs good in snow vs more likely to bubble vs tire rack customer reviews...

Oy vey! Lots of good information. I just need to make a freakin decision...

Leaning towards Kuhmo's in 215.

any reason in particular you are leaning towards the 215? - 225's fit on the stock rim --- might as well go wider since they fit. -

any reason in particular you are leaning towards the 215? - 225's fit on the stock rim --- might as well go wider since they fit. -

yeah it's only 5mm each side of the rim. plus 225/45/17 gets you more sidewall height = less noise + fills the wheel well better + adds rim protection as side wall sticks out a tad more. if you go RE960's they have a realitive narrow sectional width.

Kumho ASX 225/45/17 = 8.7 on a 7" rim (tire rack)

RE960 225/45/17 = 8.5 on a 7" rim (tire rack)

Stock RE92A's 215/45/17 = 8.6" on a 7" rim (Manufacturer's website)

"Section Width

A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall (excluding any protective ribs, decorations or raised letters) at the widest point. This measurement is made without any load placed upon the tire and after the tire has been properly mounted on its industry assigned measuring rim and has been inflated and reset to its test pressure after 24 hours.

Because a tire's section width is influenced by the width of the rim upon which the tire is mounted, the correct industry assigned measuring rim width for the tire size being measured must be used.

The width of a tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same tire was mounted on a wide rim. NOTE: because the overall diameter of a steel belted radial is determined by the steel belts, there is little, if any, change to the overall diameter of the tire due to differences in rim width.

The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".

Well, the 225's will be a couple lbs heavier / tire. They will also have a sloppier sidewall than the 215's which could be compounded by the fact that these tires have softer sidewalls to begin with... I'd hate the go 225 Kuhmo and feel like I lost some handling in the twisties.

Well, the 225's will be a couple lbs heavier / tire. They will also have a sloppier sidewall than the 215's which could be compounded by the fact that these tires have softer sidewalls to begin with... I'd hate the go 225 Kuhmo and feel like I lost some handling in the twisties.

they're still stiffer than the stock tires - and will perform much better... Plus, being a slightly wider tire will give you added traction. You won't feel like you've lost anything, trust me.

If you're really that concerned about weight and performance then you shouldnt be looking at all season tires.

they're still stiffer than the stock tires - and will perform much better... Plus, being a slightly wider tire will give you added traction. You won't feel like you've lost anything, trust me.

If you're really that concerned about weight and performance then you shouldnt be looking at all season tires.

True. I guess I want the best of both worlds while spending the least amount of $$. Glad to hear they are stiffer than the stockers. I think my mind is made up. Please close this thread before I change it again.

True. I guess I want the best of both worlds while spending the least amount of $$. Glad to hear they are stiffer than the stockers. I think my mind is made up. Please close this thread before I change it again.

Anything is better than the RE92s

Just get the Kumho's, they are great for the price.

Kumho ECSTA ASX 225/40/18

I was thnking about getting these to put onto my tarmac3 18x8" to use all year round. What do you guyd think and what would you recommend?

i have had the 235/40 & the 225/40 asx's , ihave 18x8 rota p1s. i had to removethe 235s because of rubbing (cars lowered)

peronally i think the 225s look better, also they handle just about as good at the 235s, not quite as sticky, but the car responds better with the 225s

the only down side the this specific tire is if they sit for a day or two they will flat spot a little. this also had been reduced since i switched to the 225s

however if you do decide on the 235s i will have a set for sale shortly

I used them on my Impreza RS for a few months and then put them on my LGT Sedan....ran on the LGT for almost a year, including one winter...:) They were 225/45/17 ,on Enkei rims, and worked great....Changed them for some Pirelli P Zero-Nero 225/40/18 on OZ rims.

I put the ASX's on my wifes Impreza 2.5i....she loves them:wub:

Great tires at a good price.:) :) :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/ASX2.jpg

Archived