Which tires do you like most  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which tires do you like most

• Kumho ECSTA ASX
    • Yokohama AVID H4S
    • Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
    • Bridgestone Potenza G 009
    • Falken Ziex ZE-512

So, I am down to 2/32 left on my RE92's @ 22k and need to replace them soon. So I am looking for something that will perform well becuase I live on a mountian road and drive it like I should. I have upgraded to JDM Spec B Rev A schocks and JDM GT springs to make the drive better. Attached is a example of the mountian road I drive every day, elivation change: 600 - 2700 - 0. So Here I am looking at the following tires:

Kumho ECSTA ASX

Yokohama AVID H4S

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Bridgestone Potenza G 009

Falken Ziex ZE-512

Continental ContiExtremeContact

I am leaning toward the RE960 or the ZE-512 right now. Anyone have these, ran these, etc.. and care to chime in. I would prefer if you respond only if you have real world experiance with these.

Thanks

Edit: Missed the Continental ContieExtreamContacts. I don't know how to fix the poll, but if a mod can, please do so.

928741641_highway9.JPG.df10cb68c82be3f3af8e2695c6d9acfa.JPG

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

To the OP... there are many many many threads discussing this very issue and most- if not all- of the tires you listed. Here there is a compendium of reviews, a thread dedicated solely to the 960 AS, one (or more) to the ZIEX, various to the Contiextremes, various for the ASX, etc. Search...Just trying to help out a bit :) .

I voted for the 960's because I have them. Look at the 960 thread and the compendium for more info, and my very detailed review therein (so detailed that I almost fell asleep reading it again:lol: ). There are also other reviews in there as well.

The contiextremes also have received excellent reviews, and do have a price advantage over the 960's. The reviews seem to indicate that the contis lean a bit more towards the AS/winter side of the equation versus summer (like a p-zero Ms for example), and are a bit "soft" if not inflated to a high PSI. The G009 is more of a "performance AS" tire as compared to a Ultra HIGH performance tire like the 960. Thus, the g009 will lean more towards comfort than performance side of the equation. The Ziex have gotten mostly good reviews too, but to me, they are "old" technology.

Realize that with any AS tire, there are some compromises.

My biased opinion is that the 960 is the best compromise out there right now between all out performace tire and AS capabilities. THey are a bit more expensive, but too me its worth it. Check out the Road & track review of the tire, where it was compared to other summer only tires and held up very well (all this stuff is also in the compendium) ;) . Oh, and I got them in 225/45/17 size.

just .02

Are you driving up to Tahoe and stuff in the winter? If not, I recommend the Kumho SPT's as an excellent performance tire choice. Very good wet and dry traction, decent wear rate. I've had the ASX's (didn't like), and have the Conti's on my stock rims for trips to Tahoe. I hated the ASX's, but the SPT's have changed my view of Kumho 180 deg. If you are doing snow, then my vote is for the Conti Extreme Contacts, I think they have one of the best cost to performance ratios out there, but dry grip is not the best of the bunch.

To the OP... there are many many many threads discussing this very issue and most- if not all- of the tires you listed. Here there is a compendium of reviews, a thread dedicated solely to the 960 AS, one (or more) to the ZIEX, various to the Contiextremes, various for the ASX, etc. Search...Just trying to help out a bit :) .

I voted for the 960's because I have them. Look at the 960 thread and the compendium for more info, and my very detailed review therein (so detailed that I almost fell asleep reading it again:lol: ). There are also other reviews in there as well.

The contiextremes also have received excellent reviews, and do have a price advantage over the 960's. The reviews seem to indicate that the contis lean a bit more towards the AS/winter side of the equation versus summer (like a p-zero Ms for example), and are a bit "soft" if not inflated to a high PSI. The G009 is more of a "performance AS" tire as compared to a Ultra HIGH performance tire like the 960. Thus, the g009 will lean more towards comfort than performance side of the equation. The Ziex have gotten mostly good reviews too, but to me, they are "old" technology.

Realize that with any AS tire, there are some compromises.

My biased opinion is that the 960 is the best compromise out there right now between all out performace tire and AS capabilities. THey are a bit more expensive, but too me its worth it. Check out the Road & track review of the tire, where it was compared to other summer only tires and held up very well (all this stuff is also in the compendium) ;) . Oh, and I got them in 225/45/17 size.

just .02

LawGT

You can rest asured that I did search on this, but I didn't find a good real world comparison between them. But then again the search can only do as good as the information fed into it, and I am not that great and refrasing to get the right results. Your response was exactly what I was looking for. After prusing the 960 threads, my weight has been leanning more toward that one, but I am probally a few weeks till I can purchase them.

Are you driving up to Tahoe and stuff in the winter? If not, I recommend the Kumho SPT's as an excellent performance tire choice. Very good wet and dry traction, decent wear rate. I've had the ASX's (didn't like), and have the Conti's on my stock rims for trips to Tahoe. I hated the ASX's, but the SPT's have changed my view of Kumho 180 deg. If you are doing snow, then my vote is for the Conti Extreme Contacts, I think they have one of the best cost to performance ratios out there, but dry grip is not the best of the bunch.

Most likely will not be going to taho much if at all. But will probally be driving to Seattle over the Christmas holidays so good snow/ice traction will be a added bonus. But we can always take the FXT as well, so not a "need".

What I am looking for is something that will give me great performance in the dry/wet, living in Boulder creek with our 60" rain in 4 months, everything helps. The last couple of years we have gotten a couple of inches of snow a couple of times, but nothing the RE92's could handle w/out even flinching. It does freeze up here a bit in the winter, but I haven't really seen anything to be concerned aobut the Ice traction as well.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

LawGT

You can rest asured that I did search on this, but I didn't find a good real world comparison between them. But then again the search can only do as good as the information fed into it, and I am not that great and refrasing to get the right results. Your response was exactly what I was looking for. After prusing the 960 threads, my weight has been leanning more toward that one, but I am probally a few weeks till I can purchase them.

Most likely will not be going to taho much if at all. But will probally be driving to Seattle over the Christmas holidays so good snow/ice traction will be a added bonus. But we can always take the FXT as well, so not a "need".

What I am looking for is something that will give me great performance in the dry/wet, living in Boulder creek with our 60" rain in 4 months, everything helps. The last couple of years we have gotten a couple of inches of snow a couple of times, but nothing the RE92's could handle w/out even flinching. It does freeze up here a bit in the winter, but I haven't really seen anything to be concerned aobut the Ice traction as well.

Glad to help. Before I settled on mine, I posted tons of questions here (and made me think of copying NASIOC for a "Compendium" thread -- self serving statement:lol: ) and people here were good in providing guidance. Just passing along the favor ;)

From the info you provide, it looks like you may be leaning more for an AS tire that is more performance (dry/wet grip) biased, versus all out winter grip. If so, the 960 will be perfect for you. I think they are amazing, and dry/wet grip has been favorably compared to a summer only tire (See Road & Track article and other reviews here). Winter grip FOR ME was awsome this past season in Chicago (where we saw significant accumulations). However, if you lived in the UP of MI or Canada, etc, where snow covered roads are the norm for months at a time, I woudl say get full on winter tires.

So, I see it like this (which btw, is the same situation I was when I got mine):

* conti: Cheaper; a more "plush" ride (which some describe as "too soft"); arguably better winter grip (although I'm not 100% convinced about this, see TR winter test of 960); technology from the "earlier" part of the 2000's.

*960: more $$$, arguably better dry/wet grip (very very close to summers); Great winter grip (although arguably less than the contis...but my caveat still applies ;) ); still a great comfortable ride (wayyyyy better than re92, and by extension, probably plusher than re050); technology and compunds from less than 1 yr ago.

Ultimately, both are great tires. Choice is yours...

LawGT, you are such a great welth of knowladge. Thanks for your input. You are correct in my concern in the mostly dry/wet need since the winters around here are so much less harsh than i am used to in the PNW. And if I am only going to be up there for 2 weeks a year, not sure if we are flying or driving yet, I don't think that I should base my decision on that.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Some of my subie frineds around here that have WRX's are recommending the Falken 452's instead of the 512's. They have had mixed results with the 512's and have been loving the 452's. hmmmmm, decisions, decions.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 1 month later...

I am about to buy the RE960 Pole Position AS.

My last concern is which size to go with.

I need some advice.

Any other spec b or 18" peopel running this tire?

Stock is 215/45/18

I'm considering 225/45/18

Any downside to this slight increase in width?

What will this do to my aspect ratio (sidewall thickness)

I can't remember which way it is effected.

Will it fit properly?

Will it look like it is too big for the rim.

Remember the rim is only 18x7. :(

I would have no problem asking the tire shop to put one of each on and taking a look for myself but I doubt they'll have both 18 inch tires in stock.

I'm hoping someone around here has tried these sizes.

Also, wondering if another spec b ownwer that had the Summer tires experiences a huge drop in performance.

These RE960s are so highly rated I wonder.....

And the fact that I won't be white knuckled when I take it to the mountain makes me happy to replace the summer only tires.

In addition I got 30k out of the original tires and the guy at the shop commented that I got more miles than most he's seen with that tire.

I rotated regularly and do a lot of highway driving.

Thanks for any help!!!

Need to order the tires ASAP!!!!!!

If you do not need All-Season tires why bother. It adds a few dollars for something you may not need.

I am using 225x45x17 on stock wheels, instead of 215. The sidewalls will tend to bulge slightly out of the rims but they seem to give you the lowered look because they fill up the wheel wells a little bit.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

If you do not need All-Season tires why bother. It adds a few dollars for something you may not need.

I am using 225x45x17 on stock wheels, instead of 215. The sidewalls will tend to bulge slightly out of the rims but they seem to give you the lowered look because they fill up the wheel wells a little bit.

Thanks for the input... but did I say I would not need them?

I may live in California but within 65 miles I can go from 200 elevation to 7,500.

There is weather up there all year long.

I was afraid to go to the snow for the first 30k in my car because of the "SUMMER" tires.

I will be much more relaxed now.

I like the idea of filling up the gap a little and I am not considering lowering the car any time soon so the slightly wider/taller tire might work.

Just curious how the speedo will react.

I also heard that the narrower 215 (stock) will have more precise and tighter turning performance. I dont' really want to loose performance....still deciding....

I ended up getting the 225's on my car and the spedo didn't really seem to change at all. I went to Big O in Santa cruz and they wern't able to get the RE960's in time so I went with the next best thing according to them, Michlien Piolt Exaltos, they were about $5 more a tire so not a big deal to me. I have not notised a performance decrease from the stock re"crappy"2's. I was scraping every time I drove into my driveway and now I don't with the slightly taller tire. So I am really happy so far.

Review for the michilen:

They STICK to the pavement. Wow. Better than the piolt sport a/s's I had on the Baja. For the first 200 miles, they seemed a little greasy, but after that, they won't stop gripping. I took a couple of turns that the re92 would have broken loose, and they didn't squeal or even give the hint of breaking loose. Definatally a good buy so far. Now need to get some milage on them to see if they last. I live in the mountians and my comute takes me from 600 to 2700 to 0 elevation in one direction. And the roads are extreamly windy and a lot of fun to drive, even more so with better tires.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

960 as ....i put asx on my car yesterday. i have already had them out to the track, on the freeway, on the back roads...etc. i t rained today....I was not impressed with the wet traction, it was at most a slight improvement. everything else has been super and the dry traction is so great that it proves to me that i need springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived