LegacyGT.com

CDR playback quality?

Parousia

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this issue... but I seem to get a poor playback with my CDR cd's. The first thing I do when I buy a new CD is rip it into iTunes and then burn a mp3 cd for my car, of course the Legacy doesn't play mp3 so I am now burning regular CDs for the new car.... I have noticed that the playback is a little hissy sometimes and static sometimes as well. As far as the burned quality, I have never burned a coaster in 5 years so I am pretty sure the CDR is pretty good quality... I complained to my Service Dept. and they asked if I have read the manual and if the CDR was compatible with the head unit? Anyway just seeing if U have had this same issue. Parousia

Since CDs are digital audio (albeit uncompressed like MP3), media quality does little to affect sound quality. There's the jitter effect that makes some paranoid audiophiles store their CDs in the fridge, but that's not what you're describing. I'm thinking the particular parameters in your MP3s' encoding would be what's making the sound quality drop, or possibly your decompression codec. Try a third-party MP3 converter (like Easy CD-DA Extractor, for instance) back to back with your default codec on a test CD, or take a store-bought CD, rip a track, then burn it back to back with the original, uncompressed track.

[quote name='sduford']MP3 sounds sucks, unless you are using one of the higher bit rates.[/QUOTE] That is, unless you use the proper encoding method. VBR quality 2 works fine for me, but I have some friends who swear by OGG and FLAC. Of course, then some players can't decode it, but you get what you pay for.

I rip at 128 Kbps CBR with the Lame Codec. I'm over 30, so I can barely here the difference in higher bitrates anyway. I've burned several audio CD's on CDR's for my Legacy GT (6 disc) and they sound perfect to me. The only problem I ever noticed was a CD I overburned to about 83 minutes to fit 2 CD's on one - the last song had major static (more than minor hissing)... but I think overburning success is media dependant anyway...

If you are using iTunes, rip with 192K AAC, it's got excellent quality if you require compression (to save HD space on your computer or iPod). I am hard pressed to hear any losses in quality with 192K AAC. If you are using 128K MP3 (sort of a standard), that can definitely sound crappy. In fact, that's pretty much equivalent to 96K AAC, half the rate of what I recommend. You can also rip in a lossles format (several options in iTunes) and then transfer back to CD. That should definitely sound perfect since there is zero compression and zero losses. If that still sounds bad, something else is wrong. Craig

[quote name='yeldnats']I think overburning success is media dependant anyway...[/QUOTE] Absolutely right, you'd get a lot of jitter, garble and CR errors on the very edge of some media, which is why Nero gives you that little speech before you can enable overburning. As for codec settings, 128KBit CBR is good enough for some tracks and some players, but not near-CD quality. 168Kbit CBR is usually where I draw the line. It depends mostly on the quality of the mastering done at the record label. CD-DA is 44.1KHz 16 bit stereo, which has quite a bit of room for fidelity in it. Most masters are done at 192KHz 24 bit stereo these days.

[quote name='c_hunter']If you are using iTunes, rip with 192K AAC, it's got excellent quality if you require compression (to save HD space on your computer or iPod). I am hard pressed to hear any losses in quality with 192K AAC. If you are using 128K MP3 (sort of a standard), that can definitely sound crappy. In fact, that's pretty much equivalent to 96K AAC, half the rate of what I recommend. You can also rip in a lossles format (several options in iTunes) and then transfer back to CD. That should definitely sound perfect since there is zero compression and zero losses. If that still sounds bad, something else is wrong. Craig[/QUOTE] Craig is pretty much right on on this one. Personally I rip MP3 at 192k because I used to have a CD/MP3 player in my last car, but if you aren't hardup for space, go ahead and rip into either WAV or AAC Lossless. I believe the main difference there is that when you rip into the AAC format, the Album/Song info is written into the header whereas WAV does not support song info header information. The only time this would be a problem is if you have spent a lot of time making your titles/song lists neat, and later you wanted to re-build your library, .. or the apple xml file got hosed .. with AAC, it will just rebuild your libary list from the header info .. if you had used WAV, it would have nothing to read.

Ok an update... I also use 192kb when importing files and as I have mentioned do not normally have any problems at all with my burned CD's. I have been able to reproduce the garbled sound issues on my cd's in the car, but it is difficult because... it does not always happen in the same place on each track! I use CDR obviously and according to the manual this media is acceptable, but if the track gets static or garbled and I reverse the song back to the same place it usually plays perfectly the second time. Because of the difficulty in reproducing the sounds Subaru has not been able to hear it, I dont think its getting worse but it sure is annoying. Thoughts? Parousia

Archived