LegacyGT.com

What did you guys pay for your outback XT's?

I am thinking about just going with a new 07 outback xt manual and lowering it.

Prices in California are getting too ridiclous for a used LGT 05 in a manual.

Just curious what you guys paid for yours, and was it OTD price?

Also, anyone know if lowering a outback will void the factory warranty?

As far as interior, the legacy and the outback is pretty much identical correct?

I want a manual wagon, which is why I am going through all this trouble.

Thanks for the help!

It was a steal! I saw it near a small dealership on my way home from work. I was considering getting a new Forester XT, but then I thought that I'd find out what they wanted for the OBXT. They asked $20K, I said $17.5K and they agreed to $18K. :iam:

I think because its a 5spd wagon, most people were passing on it. It was there for almost two months.

• 2 months later...

Bought my wife's 2005 OBXT 5MT (Atlantic Blue/Slate) new (with 14 miles on it) in December 2005 for US$24000. Had been on the Paul Brothers Subaru lot for 8 months.

Bought my 2005 OBXT 5MT (Garnet Red) new (with 50 miles on it) in August 2006 for US$22200. Had been on the Paul Brothers lot for 20 months. It was the one (of the two choices the wife had available) she liked less, as she was just picking a color at that point, they're otherwise practically identical).

Their theories on why they didn't sell were a) no leather in Fairfax County VA, b) manual transmission, c) turbo.

Deals are out there - just look for leftover stock!

Christ - you guys know how to depress someone.

I think I paid around 35k for my 05 XT Ltd, but they gave me about 3k over what my '97 was worth on trade-in (they deal everything on the trade) so it was more like 32k new. It is an auto though & Outbacks sell like hotcakes here in MT...there's not much motivation for them to "deal" so I know I got hosed.

Oh well - I still love my car...next time I'll fly out to VA & drive it back! :rolleyes:

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

yeah seriously I'm depressed. I thought I got a good deal when I bought mine in October '06 for $21,500 with 20k on the clock. But then it hadn't been on the lot long before I spotted it and considering it was a loaded up limited that sold new in Dec '05 for $32k with options up to $33k or so, I thought was pretty good

I am thinking about just going with a new 07 outback xt manual and lowering it.

From what I've read on these boards a lowered OBXT has an inherent handling disadvantage compared to an LGT with the same ride height, because of differences in parts of the suspension that aren't normally replaced. I'm no expert and I don't remember the details, but you should look into it.

Prices in California are getting too ridiclous for a used LGT 05 in a manual.

Just curious what you guys paid for yours, and was it OTD price?

Getting expensive? Hell, they've been expensive! I paid $24k + taxes & fees for my used 05 LGT LTD 5MT wagon over a year ago. It was the only one I could find for sale with the exact colors and options I wanted anywhere in the country, new or used, and conveniently right in SF.

From one perspective I got ripped off - I could've bought an equivalent sedan for several thousand less. But an LGT sedan was out of the question because they didn't have folding rear seats then, and even if they did I would still have preferred a wagon.

There were also 2-3 new 5MT LGT wagons still on dealer lots at that point, but all 700+ miles away, in color combinations I didn't want, and only 1-2 of them were limiteds (which I did want). I probably could've bought the red/tan limited one in WA for not much more than my used 05, but I wanted the dark interior, it would've cost extra in flight + gas to get there and back, and I probably would've had to take time off from work to boot.

But from another perspective it was still a good deal. My requirements were a manual transmission, AWD (I replaced my last car only to get AWD for driving around Tahoe in the winter), folding rear seats, and a basic level of sportiness. I also wanted a wagon, and one with enough power to pass safely (i.e. quickly) on two lane roads at high elevations. Even at $24k there were no other cars I would have preferred, new or used.

I don't think demand for 5MT LGT wagons is or ever was very high, it's just that there's just almost no supply. There weren't many sold in the first place, and I bet most owners are happy with theirs and aren't selling. Evey so often I browse around to see if there's any for sale locally, and there almost never are.

As far as interior, the legacy and the outback is pretty much identical correct?

Pretty much, yes. The OBXT's interior is actually slightly nicer because Subaru cheaped out on the LGT wagon a bit. The OBXT comes with a rear center armrest and a 12V power socket in the cargo area, and the LGT wagon gets neither. The missing parts for the power socket are cheap ($12 IIRC) and easy to install yourself, but adding the armrest would be quite expensive, $400-600 IIRC, because you have to replace the larger of the two seatbacks.

There's also differences between the 05-06 and 07 interiors (not OBXT/LGT-specific). They are:

- 07 radio has AUX in (a cheap but hacky aftermarket addon is available for 05-06 radios)

- 07 radio can play MP3 CDs (the 06 L.L. bean OB radio could too, and could be swapped in place of the standard LGT/OBXT one, but cost $400-500, and still needed the AUX in hack)

- 07 radio got a new faceplace as well (I prefer the 05-06 one looks-wise, but of course AUX in + MP3 > faceplate differences)

- 07 dark interior has a mix of faux wood and metallic trim, like the light/tan interior has had all along (except a darker wood for the dark interior; 05-06 dark interior trim is all faux metallic)

- 07 got a new gauge cluster (the 07 one looks a little more upscale than the 05-06, but the 05-06 looks good too and doesn't have the annoying realtime analog MPG gauge)

Also, get a short shift kit if the car you buy doesn't have one already. The standard shifter is passable but has long throws and is a bit floppy. The STI short shifter is good but pricey, so an aftermarket one is probably your best bet.

Edit: Oh, and the LGT has slightly quicker steering than the OBXT. It's still not quick though, so I wouldn't worry about it if you do buy an OBXT. When I drove an LGT and an OBXT back-to-back the suspension hid any subtle differences in the steering.

• 4 months later...

I'd have to say: "Way too freakin' much--given the steep depriciation on these things".

I bought mind in Aug 2004 for what at the time was considered to be a "good deal" (at least according to all the Subaru forums I'd been checking with) which I believe was 2% over dealer invoice. I think we got out of it for around $30k for a loaded XT Limited.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have bought a demo or 1-2 year old used model and save myself $10k. Great cars, but buying the newest model right after it first comes out will clearly cost you in the long run, IMO.

Tim

The local dealer around here want about $33K for an '08 OBXT MT. I was going to trade in the 05 OBXT I have but the cost on these new things in unreal! I think I paid around $26K in Oct of 2004. They claim the new OB has a ton of things standard that weren't several years ago.......

The MSRP for an XT is similar to the 2.5i LL Bean that I got (my wife who will be driving this did not want the hood scoop). I bought a '08 2.5i LL Bean Outback with Nav and VDC for $26,200 out the door (that is, this included the 5% tax, $250 dealer prep/title and $86 for plates). The only options besides NAV and VDC were the auto dimming mirror and the cargo net. This price seem OK and is below the Edmunds Fair Market TMV value of what others are paying ($25,959 on an MSRP of $27,551 including the $645 destination charge since the Edmunds TMV does not include the $1,300 tax and tags - I am not sure whether Edmunds TMV includes dealer prep/title but I doubt it. In any case I am over $1,000 below the Edmunds TMV.

I paid $25,500 for my 2006 OBXT 5MT limited, 7,200 miles, with hitch, armrest extension, and subwoofer, I got it in August 2007. More than I wanted to pay, but I searched the whole Northeast for 3 months and this was the best i could come up with. I am very pleased with the car, it is now at stage two with steering wheel radio controls. Chris
Here's proof: Just 1 minute after buying my OBXT, I had 7 phone calls from insanely hot women, and got 7 dates out of it. Coincidence? I think not.

I am also joining the depressed club. I bought my 08 OBXT 5MT OBP for $30,500 (with XM adapter). There were much better deals on cars sitting on the lot, but since I had to order mine, my negotiation leverage was minimal. But, when you get exactly what you want, I guess you pay for it.

I was in the same boat, looking for a GT 5MT wagon. They were impossible to find when I was looking this past summer. I think the OBXT is a great alternative, but I am surely going to get some coilovers and decent all season tires when I have the money. The only complaint I have with the car is the squishy ride and crap tires. My 4Runner took corners better than this thing does.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered this today...

'08 Outback XT, manual transmission

Quartz Silver

* tinted windows

* rear dome/reading light

* all weather floor mats

* wheel locks

The price is not yet set in stone but it will be:

$29,825 (New England invoice)

-$325

+$300 (options above)

-applicable rebate at time of delivery

+$199 dealer processing fee

I also received a reasonably good trade-in value for my truck, but with an estimated 4-8 weeks until delivery, I will try selling it privately.

Archived