LegacyGT.com

BMW goes l337

I would hate to sound shallow, but the E90 (that is the upcoming new 3's engineering number, right?) M3 could have a 400hp V8. that is what they are talking. But if it looks like the car in that picture, they are going to have a hard sell once the novelty wears off. Possibly with the M5, as well. If the e55 had a stick or clutched manu-matic it would be the winner. I just don't like Bangle's designs. I kinda get it, something new, and something that challenges the aesthetic sense, but that doesn't mean it is a satisfying shape to look at. I am not sold. The e36 3 series and e39 5 series sold hugely well because it was kind of standard and plain, yet had very nice detail work, and was overall executed very well. it oozed class, even though it wasn't some avant garde design. The 05 legacy and Lexus IS300 have similar qualities.

Well I have to say, I hope yr wrong for all the right reasons of course. The new E90M3 will be a big seller dont worry about that. I think from the images etc, the car will look a little different, a lot of the edges will be smoothed and these cars ALWAYS look better in the skin that on a PC screen. Yes the rumours you have heard are true, BMW MSport are certainly thinking about sliding a V8 400HP engine into the new M3 which will no doubt be mated to the SMGIII 7 Speed Box. The E55 and alike are a fantastic car with good looks to match, just wish more manufactures took a look at these styling cues. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']Well the new STi WRX has the ability to shift power from front to rear like the EVO, would be nice if we see it in the upcoming GT STi. 05 do u have many BM owners in the States DE-Badge their cars and run M gear as they do here in Oz. A guy at my old work did that to his 323i, changed it from no looks to no go to all looks and no go. Seen him today, havent seen him in 12 or so months and was driving behind him, his M3E36 exhaust on a E46 (ahh dont ask why) was all bent, ahh thats justice baby. Adam.[/QUOTE] Its not as prevalent over here, seems whenever I see pictures from Eurpoe and around the world there is far more M gear being worn by the non M owners. Kind of frustrates me but whatever their choice. Next topic BMW sales? BMW is going to be able to sell basically anything it puts out there, they do very well. The M5 is going to sell for sure as well as the next M3. The engineering outways any small aesthetic shortcomings and a lot of people actually like the way the new BMWs look? Me ehhh I liked the classic strong lines from the previous 7 Series and such models. I'm not a fan of all this artsy stuff that Bangle is after I want the crisp lines again not "flame surfacing"

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci'] Me ehhh I liked the classic strong lines from the previous 7 Series and such models. I'm not a fan of all this artsy stuff that Bangle is after I want the crisp lines again not "flame surfacing"[/QUOTE] Amen to that. Another thing is that BMW's engineering is churning out more and more driver's aids. Active steering does more than change the ratio, it can provide minor steering corrections too. I just don't care for the direction BMW is taking its cars... they lost me to Subaru. :D

[COLOR=Red]CONFIRMED:- NO V8 for New E90 M3[/COLOR] Helmut Himmel, the BMW M5 Project Manager has clearly stated that there will be NO cut down version of the V10 engine for the E90 M3 and no V8. This means that the BMW M3 is stuck with the inline 6. Himmel's statement (crushing the long held belief that the next M3 would be a V8) was made in response to a question about using a cut down version of the M5's stunning 373Kw V10. [COLOR=Orange]More information to come ..................[/COLOR]

Can anyone tell me how the new LegGT handles in the twisties compared to a 3 BMW? \I'm in the process of selling my 98 328is which I have done alot of work/mods to, I can see just by the numbers that the subie is faster off the line...but can it keep moving??? I'm trying to decide what to get, and seeing that I had 2 legacys (90 & 98GT) both of which where great cars- just not in the handeling area... What can I expect from the new legacy? Will it compare?

And.... I just getting back to subies so call me what you will... Are there good aftermarket parts available for this car? i.e slotted rotors, higher end brake pads, lowering /sport springs or a coil over suspension... do they make cold air intakes, high flow exhust systems, computer programing (chipping)... These are the type of things that have made my 60 mile drive a much more sporty fun drive...

G'Day kutch and Welcome to the site. To answer a few of your questions, because the GT has AWD, it has the ability to drive around corners a lot better than RWD and FWD Cars. I would that the Liberty/Legacy would have more cornering ability than an M if the power to weight was the same if you know what I mean. If you really want to understand the difference, try and take yr fav corner in yr 328, then do it in the GT then the difference will be very very clear. When you have to slow for the corner and then push the 328 on exit, the GT can drive right thru the corner keep the speed constant throughout. There are a lot of parts still coming for this car BUT you can certainly use a lot of the gear that is out there already for Subarus. The WRX gear is certainly not bolt on but if you talk to guys like Paul from AVO, he will be able to give you a better indication on what your costs and HP ratings are going to be like. If you have any further questions, please let us know. Adam.

Adam, Thanks for the response! Some of the best cars I've had have been Subies, I've just been out of it for awhile... (living in BMW land for the last few years)... 1. I understand about the power/wieght ratios. But what about the lean? Is it going to feel like your hanging on for dear life in that corner? Even though I back off a touch upon entry of a corner, the car has no roll, it feels stable. 75% into the turn the gas is hit and the slingshot effect works great. 2. What is the life expectancy on a 4cyl engine producing this kind of HP & torque? (OK, being used as a daily driver with a driving school here and there)... My first legacy, 1990 went 273,000 miles before a deer and the front end collided! That car still ran great after that, and I sold it a week later. But running 250 HP through a 4 banger even as a daily driver seems alot to ask from such a small engine - and expect it to last 200,000 miles?? -Kutch

• 2 weeks later...
The inside is boring and almost ugly to my taste, the outside agressive and I like it, especially the pictures of the new M3. Compared to the GT, the new 3 has a better agressive look from many angles - the GT looks more ordinary from some angles and as good as the 3 from others. I prefer the 3's headlights - similar to the GT in some respects, and the famous grill. Over all for the price the GT is better, of course.

Kutch, 1. Take a GT out for a test drive and throw it into some corners and you will see that there isnt much body roll. The suspension is pretty tight and certainly I think that it would out proform the 328. 2. The GT will hang in a lot longer than the NA engines found in the BMW's. Subaru has great service at a reasonable price. Trust me, when you come onboard as a Scooby owner, the money you save on services alone will buy you a holiday to somewhere warm overseas. Adam.

Well, almost all work I've ever done on my BMW has been done by me. Costs have been keep to a min, I always wait for deals/ group buys and good reputable parts to come along. My 328is is the e36 body, and It's time to get something different...And there is NO WAY I'm going with a new BMW...PERIOD... Not even an e46- Its just so...nasty. Bangle is taking BMW down a road that I do not want to go, thus I am once again looking at one of my first loves- the subie. I test drove the 5spd and the auto. I prefer stick but the auto I found wasen't bad! Finding a dealership that will give me a good price is the next thing on the list. So far all the dealers that have been mentioned in the "dealership" forum have been true, no one in my immediate area wants to deal like some of the bigger dealerships! One, NEW Country, flatly said no when I showed them some print outs from other dealerships on this site. oh well, I really wanted to get in on the 1.9% incentive that ends in a few days- looks like I may miss it?! -kutch

btw, a 328is and a GT is in the same Solo2 stock class I believe.. so umm, it's a very tough call of which car is truely a better performer.. on the other hand, the interior and other luxury items (including fit and finish) will goto BMW.. but then again, you are paying for that. Keefe
Keefe

Archived