LegacyGT.com

ABS clunkiness???

akscooby

First, hi all. New member of the forum here, and I've had my '05 GT Wagon for about 2 months. Love it. For the most part. It snowed here in Alaska, and I got to test the ABS on some ice...they thunked and clunked and felt like the drive-line was about to fall off. The manual says some clunking is normal, but this was excessive. It was well above "chatter." Anyone else have this problem? Or know about it? I'd appreciate info on whether that's normal. This is my first ABS vehicle, so I really have nothing to compare it to. I have to say that this car handles incredible in snow! I've driven in Alaska since 1984, so I've seen my share of snow and ice, and this car rocks. It is hard to lose control, even when I'm trying to slide the back end around a turn, and it basically corrects itself. I'm running Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 Studless snow tires for the first time, and they are impressing me so far. Well, enough. If anyone has any suggestions on the brake issue, let me know. Thanks! -SM

Welcome to the forum =) The members are probably gonna love you because your getting snow before the rest of us (Americans, not Canadians) do. It sounds pretty normal to me, as long as it's the ABS making that sound. I just brake hard on wet leaves sometimes for the hell of it to get a feel for the ABS. Is this your first car with ABS?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Drift Monkey']Ah stop it with the snow talk already. DM wishes it snowed where he lives, if even a little bit...[/QUOTE] Dude- come over my way- I'll put you up for a few days and you can test out a real NE winter!

[quote name='jedimaster']Dude- come over my way- I'll put you up for a few days and you can test out a real NE winter![/QUOTE] I might have to take you up on that. I (still) have never been to the East coast in all my 20 years of life. Feels like I'm missing out. The farthest east DM has been is FL.

Yeah I own an 05 OB XT and I think the ABS is really lame. I tested it on wet pavement and on a dirt road. I was amazed by how clunky it is and the fact that locks the wheel way too much, causing some tugging and pulling and dramatically increasing the breaking distance. I'm hoping better tires will help, but I still think the ABS is really lame.

I have stated this before that the Scooby has a different ABS and wont go into ABS until right on the limit. There is a lot of peddle travel till it kicks in. The ABS unless you are used to it, does sound and feel very different. My suggestion is to get in a carpark or some piece of road where there is NO one at all, and just try it out so u know what it should feel like. Its a great idea and I use it a fair bit in normal driving. King of the late Brakers here. Adam.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Sounds like it's just something I'm going to have to get used to. -Adam--I've taken it out on a straight, icy road at night and just slammed on the brakes---that's where the clunking started. It's different, and a little scary at first, since it sounded like my car was falling apart. Seemed to function alright, though. Meanwhile I'll continue to let the turbo wind up as I attempt to get sideways in corners. Silly car has too much traction. ;) -SM

While I haven't engaged ABS in my LGT yet, my previous Forester did make quite a racket when it was activated. It's good to try out ABS in a controlled environment so that during an actual panic stop, one does not freak out and let up on the brake pedal. Ken

Hey akscooby, yes its scary how much traction this car has. I have to admit I have taken a lot of roundabouts and corrected waiting for the front end to wash out and it just hangs in there. Have even taken roundabouts really sharp thinking the front is going to wash and actually rolled onto the flat curb, Im thinking to myself, hey thats not right but I'll take it. :D Adam.

Archived