LegacyGT.com

new stage 2, issues

Spray

I'll get some pics up later. I ended up part of the..subframe I guess it is? where it was rubbing. It's much better now, although it still rattles in reverse and when downshifting at high revs, so a little more needs to come off.

I'm a little miffed that I was told it's a known issue from the vendor but no warning beforehand, would of been much easier to do this the first time around, then waste another saturday correcting the problem.

On a side note I got my AEM intake in and matching software...much faster :p

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's apparently a known issue, i guess it's hitting the tranny part

Are you sure it's hitting the tranny? I have MR DP prototype and IIRC there is plenty of clearance with the tranny.

Do you only get the "rumble" when you let off the gas? If so you probably have an exhaust leak either at the UP or DP. Basically when you let off the gas the exhaust is very rich, and if the exhaust gas is hot enough the oxygen from the outside air will mix with the exhaust and combust. From my understanding this is actually pretty normal for a cat-less Subaru, it's called afterfire. But it usually happens farther downstream toward the muffler unless you have a leak. I had this problem where the stock center pipe mates to the MR DP. Since the MR DP uses 3” flat gasket it doesn’t seal well against the stock center pipe that uses the donut gasket. So every time I lift off the throttle I get this noise that sounds like it’s coming directly underneath the passenger floor board. The fact that you are missing a UP stud and having low boost I would suspect you have a pre-turbo leak.

chenc544: I had the same problem, it's definitely hitting the crossmember because the pipe was resting on it. The "rumble" is the best way to describe the sound and vibration coming from it, cuz it sounds like metal on metal and feels like it too. After i fixed mine it doesn't vibrate/rumble on the crossmember unless im driving aggressive (i.e. autoXing). I may wrap it to keep from having the metal on metal contact when im at racing events.

I see, my "rumble" doesn't sound like metal on metal at all. So I guess it's different. I do still get some noise when I give it some gas in reverse. I will check the cross member the next time I'm down there.

Chenc definately check it. To be honest at the start I definately thought I had some kind of exhaust leak, till you get down there and it's definately rubbing. You can see the marks on the pipe. In fact it's so tight on that crossmember you could hardly even move it.

Sorry guys. I have had a couple DPs that have run close to the tranny crossmember while the majority have been fine. None of my beta testers reported any problems and of all the ones I have installed, I've had 2 that ran a bit close. The solution was to put a little dimple on the DP in the offending area and/or to clearance the subframe a bit. Both are quick and easy fixes. However, anyone having an interference problem and who is unable to resolve the issue, can contact me and I can get you an exchange.

Archived