LegacyGT.com

Harman Motive LGT 'Tail Out' Kit Review

ERLoft

Well, this is only the initial review, as I haven't had a chance to drive too much, but a quick review with the installation notes. Pictures to follow - probably next week sometime.

The Harman Motive kit includes:

Perrin 25mm Adjustable RSB

Perrin 22mm Adjustable FSB

Perrin Stout Mounts

Kartboy Rear Endlinks

Kartboy Front Endlinks

The price is $600 for everything.

1) Installation. RSB's are fun to install. Funner than Imprezas in any case. I ended up removing the rear section of my exhaust to do it. Also, an impact wrench is a VERY good idea when it comes time to install the Stout Mounts! I would very much advise against doing it without one. I imagine on a normal exhaust, this would be pretty easy from here out, but with the Autospeed Exahaust, things get tricky. The RSB does not play nice with the exhaust. I hooked everything up and lowered the car. Eeewww! The RSB is resting on the exhaust. Hmmm, not good. But wait! The Autospeed exhaust comes with RSB relocator pieces that move the mounting point a bit higher. Brilliant! Only problem is, that the lower bolt for the relocation kit uses the same hole as the Perrin Stout Mounts. So, what to do? Well, I ended up taking the bolt for the Stout Mounts, along with a couple heavy duty washers, and threading it through from the opposite side, then adding the nut. When the car was lowered back down, the center portion of the RSB is a couple of MM above the exhaust. Good think I used an extra long Kartboy hanger for the rear midpipe exhaust hanger! So far, I don't think anything's knocked together. If I took a big bump - enough to really make the exhaust move around - I might get a clang out of the exhaust, but all seems well. They're compatible, but only just!

The FSB is far easier. That is if you get the sway bar right side up. I tried upside down first. Doesn't work that way. Trust me.

Driving Impressions:

Definitely flatter in the corners. MUCH flatter. Ride is affected, but not overly so. These bars are stiff enough that each side doesn't move independantly near so well anymore, and as a result, more gets transmitted to the car. Additional noise is non-existant. I need to get the car to a nice open spot to really find out how much 'Tail Out' I can get. I'll post more impressions once I can really get a chance to push the car with the new bars.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Install wasn't that hard - although the front bar was a bit of a bitch. As long as you've got decent tools, 2-3 hours should be good.

I really like my setup, but since I've had it for so long and haven't ridden in many other LGT's, especially stock setups, I can't give a good description of the differences.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im doing this install on Pineys LGT later tonight. In doing some reading it seems like the 25mm rear sway combined with the stock mounts is a bad idea? Should we order up a set of stout mounts?

Is it best to install them at the same time or easy enough to add after the bar install? We have the bar and Perrin endlinks ready to install but will wait if the Stout mounts should be added and is easiest done all together.

Yeah, the Harman kit comes with stout mounts, so you're covered there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm running the Perrin 25mm F/R sways on my car, with no other suspension mods and I love them. I just set them on the "soft" settings, and it keeps the car flat, very flat. It totally changed the way the car handles cornering. My butt dyno would swear that it is more stable and I feel much more confident taking hard corners. I have yet to try them on a track or auto-x.

But if this is any bit of use for a description, I don't know what else is. There is an intersection on my way home that I like to cut into, hard, and I have had my traction control system actually kick in! Just ignore the fact that I was turning at around 40+mph at the time. But, that was probably due to the crappy OEM tires reaching their limits too.

Bridgestone. If you care about performance, don't buy/use/run these!

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

The Spec-B has Bilstein struts, and aluminum A-arms/controller arms. Pretty much most of the main suspension parts are aluminum.

Now for the eternal search for springs until I can afford coilovers.

What brand are the RT615's. I'm drawing a blank, I SHOULD know this. THX.

EDIT: I'm just waiting for them to burn up. I'm surprised that they have lasted a year the way I drive!!

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

They are Falken Azenis RT615 225/45/17. The car also has Cobb lowering springs and now 25mm rear Perrin bar with Perrin endlinks.

Install wasnt too bad once I figured out which way the damn bar is aligned in there haha. The heim endlinks Perrin sells are definately quality.

Only issue we had was the 4 nuts for the endlink bolts were not included - a trip to Home Depot for 4 grade 8 nuts and we were squared away. Rear bar took about 2 hours to do on the ground without a lift... air tools are a must.

Next up is the Perrin front bar and endlinks - Ive heard install is a little tougher on the front bar? Is this due to getting the physical bar in and out of its location or what? Thanks

I will post pics of a set I installed last night this afternoon.

Heres a pic I snapped just now of it - kinda hard to see but you get the point. Bolts to the subframe mount and then reinforces that bracket.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/SandInspiredKustomz/Frosty/DSC05974.jpg

I am thinking about running this kit with my stock suspension. I was wondering if any of you with this kit or similar has had a chance to see how tail happy the car is.

I have the 25mm rear Perrin sway with endlinks. The ass end feels like i just got out bootcamp. Way more responsive in turns and if your stupid enough like me can pitch the tail a little sideways around sharp turns. I definently want the front sway and endlinks cause the understeer is too much for the performance the rear can handle. Hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...
I know its a little bit of an older topic but i was wondering if anybody had anything new to say about this set up after driving with it for a bit? how does it handle in the rain? i was driving in the rain yesterday, and wondering how twitchy it might make the car.

Archived