LegacyGT.com

Yet another quiet exhaust thread

ATB

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was all set to buy a SP2 for my wagon, but since it spends most of its life on 2-4 hour highway runs I am too worried about droning based on some of the recent reviews. Back to the drawing board. My goals are the following:

1) A bit more sound. Stock is too mild. I want to hear the boxer sound when accelerating hard, but when cruising I don't want a constant buzz. I had a mugen on a civic (har har) that did just this. Rumble and pops at idle and WOT, but almost stock quiet cruising.

2) Compatible with stock ECU for now. I plan to leave the computer stock until the 36k warranty is up, so anything that requires a tune to not be dangerous to the engine (aka run lean) is out.

3) Not throw away. If I went with a very mild CBE like a borla, it would not be the best if I later went for a UP/DP.

So, I am thinking of starting by getting a catted/catless DP. Will this give me at all what I am looking for? Do I need the mid and Y pipes too if I am going with a 3" DP? If no, is a 2.5" DP even worth it as the only mod?

I have heard about this hog mod, but isn't it basically purposely causing a small exhaust leak? Isn't there a danger of carbon monoxide in the cabin, particularly for a wagon? I have an infant son that rides in the back for said 4 hour road trips.

Uppipe and downpipe will make almost no difference in sound, even if catless. The cans are what causes the quiet and they need to be replaced if you need some growl. Other than that, the best thing you can do is to remove the entire air box resonator (search on this site for it). that at least will get you the by pass valve sound. Too bad you just missed the Xo2racing group buy deal on their exhaust...

Uppipe and downpipe will make almost no difference in sound, even if catless.

That was NOT the case on my car.

Was: Borla exhaust

Went to: Borla exhaust, HKS uppipe, COBB catted downpipe

There most definitely was an increase in sound/loudness. Nothing too crazy but it was louder without a doubt.

Later: added an equal length header

It got a little quieter/smoother.

When you say "borla exhaust" do you mean mufflers?

I think what craesq is saying is that if you do only the UP/DP, the sound doesn't change much. If you didn't try the UP/DP with the stock mufflers, you don't have a counterexample.

When you say "borla exhaust" do you mean mufflers?

I think what craesq is saying is that if you do only the UP/DP, the sound doesn't change much. If you didn't try the UP/DP with the stock mufflers, you don't have a counterexample.

No I haven't personally tried an uppipe and downpipe with the stock exhaust on my car but I have heard that combo in person.

Defining "doesn't change much" is going to vary from person to person.

In my opinion that combo isn't too loud but when I heard it I knew something was up with the car right away with no doubt. Now combo that with a louder exhaust and you're just compounding the exhaust note, but again to what degree is going to vary since what's loud to some people is "not that bad" to others.

Take from that what you will.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got you covered. Should have a prototype of the new MR axleback (for the MR y-pipe) here next week. Wagon fitment and nice single slant cut tips with a removable silencer insert for drone free cruising in wagons.

Am I reading this to mean that without the silencers in, the new MR system for wagons will drone a bit? Or is my overly analytical lawyer brain reading too much into Boost's comment?

Am I reading this to mean that without the silencers in, the new MR system for wagons will drone a bit? Or is my overly analytical lawyer brain reading too much into Boost's comment?

As I've discovered, any exhaust that you can hear at all seems to drone a bit on the wagons. For instance, the Prodrive axleback is nearly silent on sedans but the wagon I rode in with it droned a little bit. Just an unfortunate fact with the wagons. I included the silencers as part of the design on the MR wagon catback to keep that phenomenon as much at bay as possible.

Thanks very much for that clarification. This is a phenomenon that I would assume effect a wagon regardless of the product, but it's good to hear your perspective. I would guess that unless an owner installed about 100lbs of dynamat or a manufacturer spent $$$ on acoustic modelling of the exhaust resonance in the back of a wagon, this is just something that is going to happen to a greater or lesser extent. I'm rather suspicious of a manufacturer that says that a system doesn't drone a bit. Good post and thanks again. :)

As I've discovered, any exhaust that you can hear at all seems to drone a bit on the wagons. For instance, the Prodrive axleback is nearly silent on sedans but the wagon I rode in with it droned a little bit. Just an unfortunate fact with the wagons. I included the silencers as part of the design on the MR wagon catback to keep that phenomenon as much at bay as possible.

I didn't hear any drone in a wagon with Greddy SP2 at highway speeds.

Prodrive cans should not be considered a benchmark, they don't scream like high quality stuff anyway.

I have turndowns welded on my Greddy SP2 and I definitely get drone at highway speeds. It's actually worse at 25mph than anything else (around 1500 rpm) - get up to 70-80mph and it's about equal to the road noise. I took a road trip with it a few weeks ago (700 miles) and it didn't bother me at all, even with the radio off most of the trip.

Of course - I also have a fairly unique setup. I also have a SS resonator welded into the SP2. I also have MR headers, Crucial DP & Crucial HFC MP...so, none of the stock exhaust system is left. Considering all that - I think it's pretty quiet & although it was fairly loud when I installed it, it has mellowed out quite a bit & I really like the sound now.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I didn't hear any drone in a wagon with Greddy SP2 at highway speeds.

Prodrive cans should not be considered a benchmark, they don't scream like high quality stuff anyway.

Snodork has the Greddy SP2 on his wagon and I've driven and ridden in his car quite a bit. It does drone a little bit. It's not obnoxious, but there is a constant tone at freeway speeds. Perhaps I should say that any exhaust is louder in a wagon than a sedan, not that a given exhaust drones in a wagon.

I have the SP2 on my sedan and I must say it does have a sound but being a previous WRX owner, I wouldn't call it droning. if you have your radio on the slightest bit you cant hear it. I reccomend the blitz nur T if you want quiet on highway but have a good sound at WOT, when I save up enough money I plan on getting that one and having a Y pipe custom made.

I have a a greddy SP2 on my wagon and have grown used to it and like it but I would agree that it does drone a bit at low speeds in 5th gear. I don't notice it much at highway speeds. My wife won't drive it says its too loud. I have looked into putting in a hi-flow tube type resonator into the mid pipe but there does not seem to be any I have found that are 2.75" in diameter. Most are 2.5" or 3"

I just put an SPT CBE on my Catted Autospeed DP and it sounds great. It's pretty smooth actually. I has a nice mild pop at low speed and some growl with the pedal down. Enough to know it's a Subaru, but not enough to wake the neighbors in the middle of the night. Respectable sounding not obnoxious.

Haven't been out on the highway yet.

Let's kick this pig!

Performance wise with stock turbo and Cobb UP & DP, what makes the most difference? How about sound wise?

- Headers

- Y/mid only

- Cans only

- Complete CBE

Thinking of going headers and new mid/Y with stock cans. Anyone have that set up?

Interested in the MR for wagon too. May go AVO as well (seems more on the mellow side but not sure).

Kind of wonder if it's all worth it (other than sound) with a stock turbo.

• 3 weeks later...

I got Perrin Y-pipe + JDM Wangan (Apexi, really) cans.

Absolutely great growl at low rpms and stock quiet at cruising speeds.

Will post some pics soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived