LegacyGT.com

Kicking it old school

Still have the Legacy but wanted a car that wasn't my daily driver as a project so I bought a 1964 Mercury Comet. V8 (orginally a 260, predecessor to the 289 and 302), automatic (optional 3 speed merc-o-matic, aka 1964 version of C4), RWD (Ford 8" diff), and like the Legacy GT, a 4 door. Basically the same as a Falcon which means it is basically a 4 door Mustang as far as mechanicals goes.

Great lines, nothing to write home about now right now, dirty and nasty.

Phase 1 is just getting it running well again. Pulled the fuel tank, replacing fuel lines, rebuilding the carb, checking all the wiring, replacing hoses, replacing fluids, changing the brakes and that sort of thing.

Should be a fun project. Hope to have it rolling by June.

The body is in good shape, only a couple spots of pinhole rust which will be easy to weld up. They are around the rear wheel wells. The paint is okay but not great, and eventually will need a paint job. No through rust in any of the important spots (floors are good, frame rails are good, shock supports are good). Chrome is in great shape. No bondo on the car anywhere.

Current powerplant is a 289, the orginal 260 was replaced some years ago. I plan on playing with that for a while (headers, intake, carb, etc) and building a 302 based 347 stroker as a side project. But replacing the powerplant is down the road for now. All mods done to current engine will work on new engine. Old engine will then be rebuilt as a side project.

Hvae fun, but as on old duffer I have to give a VERY old joke. What do you call a cross between a Mercury Comet and a Plymouth Valiant? ( they were both made the same year)

A VOMIT:lol:

Showing my age, yet again:lol: :lol:

It was funny, 40 some years ago!!!:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I like the '64. Boxier than the 60-63 and has side/side headlights instead of over/under on the 65+.

It is deceptive in its size. Looks big but it is the same size as the LGT...and a lot lighter with a curb weight around 2700 lbs.

A 347 stroker in a 2700# car is the end goal many moons away. I'll need to start buying stock in Goodyear.

I like the '64. Boxier than the 60-63 and has side/side headlights instead of over/under on the 65+.

It is deceptive in its size. Looks big but it is the same size as the LGT...and a lot lighter with a curb weight around 2700 lbs.

A 347 stroker in a 2700# car is the end goal many moons away. I'll need to start buying stock in Goodyear.

Back, long ago, before most of you were born, I worked on really old cars. Grahams, Hisso's, Crane Simplex,Packards even one very nice Bugatti. Heck, I drove a 300 SL Gullwing back and forth for parts! (lots of over steer).

Getting any old car to run is just a lot of fun:cool:

I should'a bought that Gullwing, 15k in 1965!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 1 month later...

Figured I would dig that one back up. I finally thought about putting some pictures online...

Finally got around to rebuilding the carb and finished that up last night. She starts up, but the fuel tank still needs to be cleaned out. A repop model isn't available so I'll just acid wash it myself. Last time I started it it sounded really great though, no nasty smoke coming out. That was pre-rebuild and the idle was a little rough, I expect it to be a bit better now.

Next steps are plugs, wires, points, cap, etc. and the gas tank. Then the fuel and engine will be all set.

After that tranny.

Finally the brakes and then I'll see how it drives!

Goal is on the road for under $2k including the price of the car.

The legacy is hanging out meeting it's MUCH older brother...

57457683_cometfrontview.JPG.892b57faf53ac9f1af16df262eddab64.JPG

1583601255_cometrearthreequarterview.JPG.3fa4391f4cb079e4bad8bc1ae1a3b13d.JPG

Just throw this in over the weekend........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/432-INCH-FORD-STROKER-BY-NASCAR-BUILDER-crate-engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ019QQitemZ290112970063QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

keep it looking just as it does other than upgrading the drivetrain & suspension/tires.

Talk about a sleeper

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Wow, that is a great price! And it is even the right brand. I hate seeing a Chevy in a Ford...

Yeah, that C4 would definitely need to be upgraded. So would my Ford 8", but finding a Ford 9" rear isn't an issue.

You don't think that the current 14" tires could handle that?

Actually that place has the engine I want, a 347 stroker for a great price of $4k.

Hmm...

Well for now I'll play with what I have in there ;-)

Wukindada - that is pretty much my end goal. No exterior mods, other than the wheels/tires when it is complete and basically a new engine/drivetrain. I'm not to concerned about the paint, it is good enough and if I get it painted really well that will cost me as much as the planned engine!

Archived