LegacyGT.com

Anybody use the Cool Cover Air Intake Tube

Prime Power

Sounds as unbelievable as the intake tornado! Just pop it in and save hundreds of miles per gallon!

Zac

:lol:

I don't get the correlation. The tornado is an air restriction more so, and is obviously snake oil. This just states it cools the air, which it should, and of course then provides a benefit. I would like to know how much it cools the air though?

The correlation is that they both seem bogus. I do not see a sheet of metal being able to make any difference to the intake air temperature. If it was to keep the air cool in the INTAKE MANIFOLD...AFTER...the throttle body where heat soak can occur, then I would be sold. But the air moves so fast through the CAI piping that I do not see how any gain can be made.

Point made

Zac

Short ram intakes (including the SPT) actually suck hot air from the engine compartment. They are not cold air intakes. The optional little heat shield does help a little bit.

The stock intake sucks air from in front of the car. There's a scoop that goes over the radiator.

When I datalog my car, the intake air temperature is highest when the car is idling. As the car speeds up, the intake air temperature actually drops and starts to approach outside ambient temperature. VTGT just posted a datalog and you can see his IAT drops as his car starts moving.

If you look at datalogs of stock intake box versus any short ram intake, the IAT at high speed is always higher with the short ram intakes.

Another problem with the SPT is that it is metallic and will get hot from being in the engine compartment. Try driving hard and then pull over, pop open the trunk and touch it.

You have the SPT. Just go try those experiments. Datalog and then touch the intake pipe after a couple of WOT runs and tell us if it's hot or not.

This thing will obviously not help the stock intake but I believe some people with metal intakes use it.

Short rams still have a problem in that they're sucking air from the engine compartment instead of outside the car.

Have you logged your IAT (intake air temperature) and compared to ambient?

I believe that thing would help for a few minutes, then the heat shield would just get hott passing it to the intake pipe...

All in all I truely believe Subaru didn't skimp when they considered there intake design, a good drop-in filter will do the trick to give it some very good potential.

Zac

I have the SPT intake, and am happy over stock, but it does get hot. I just ordered that thing, one reason is that it is long enough to go on both my vehicles. But I will see. If I get time, I will do some logs with it.

^ That would be interesting to see. I am thinking about just getting a panel filter, but would like to see the results of your (further) testing. Though I don't know if I am keen on the look of the that apparatus has (the heat shielding device pictured above).

OP, since you've gone ahead and ordered it. It would be nice to seem some before and after comparison IAT logs done at cruising and at WOT. This would confirm if it works.

IMHO, it won't work because the intake air is already hot at the cone filter. However, if your SPT heat shield is adequately isolating the cone filter and allowing the intake to suck cooler air then a steady state heat transfer might show that the intake air is actually cooler with the added insulation.

All you are ordering is a piece of fiberglass insulation with aluminum foil on one side. You can pick that stuff up at hardware stores or through McMaster Carr.

All that is doing is insulating the tube from heat soak.

Well put it on. Doesn't look the greatest on the Subaru due to the mass air flow sensor. Also the curve doesn't help. But I did some before and after runs. Before I had 15 degree hotter on the intake temp then what the car read outside. My computer said the difference between ambient and intake temp was +5 though. After I had 10 degree difference between intake temp and the cars reading and dead even on ambient to intake. So I am definitely happy. Didn't do any runs with the truck. I also closed off the seal between the intake and the engine alot more with a pipe wrap that is sticky on one side, heat resistant foil on the other. Over all, doesn't look as sharp, but has cooler intake temps, and I can always take it off.

100_1841.JPG.c6c1d24842764fec85ac5330dc5173e0.JPG

100_1842.JPG.9fa8c3043286f3554c80a4b6234cf0d2.JPG

100_1843.JPG.ac0ed8c1c68ecd2d9296800ff6ac6790.JPG

100_1844.JPG.a8db84640a637f1af2fd4a392a86cd4a.JPG

100_1845.JPG.52f96ed708b618e0b84f5a39fdebe3d2.JPG

100_1846.thumb.jpg.16dc3ba2b93d8765bef9e8233b9c1d42.jpg

Archived