LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B on Motor Week

Dong Homez

i've never seen a car whose 0-60 times vary as much as this car.

from 5.3 all the way up to 6.5...

Yes, it is odd.

If I were paying a Premium to have a Spec. B, then I'd expect it to have at least 275 hp. I don't think that is a bad number for this car. But then the Legacy has always been underpowered. Just look at mine for instance.

i've never seen a car whose 0-60 times vary as much as this car.

from 5.3 all the way up to 6.5...

not really odd, it just means half the ppl who did the 0-60 test drives dont know how to drive the car.

Ed

^^^ Awsome? Not to me. I saw it on the TV, and the car seemed to bounce off the bump stops on every turn (this is less noticeable on the youtube clip, but still visible). Looked too soft with a very pronounced lean on turn.

^ When that episode came out, I had been driving my car for a while. I had already wanted springs (and installed a better RSB), but seeing the body roll in the slalom sealed the deal for me. I knew I had to get them! :lol:

not really odd, it just means half the ppl who did the 0-60 test drives dont know how to drive the car.

Testing methodology can vary from tester to tester. Add in factors like vehicle-to-vehicle variations, weather, test track, etc., the range of 0-60 times can vary quite a lot.

Normally, I pick one source (e.g., Car and Driver), and compare their times with other cars they have tested.

Anyways: lies, damned lies, statistics, and all that.

^^^ Awsome? Not to me. I saw it on the TV, and the car seemed to bounce off the bump stops on every turn (this is less noticeable on the youtube clip, but still visible). Looked too soft with a very pronounced lean on turn.

You got it. The GT Rev.C Bilsteins are on the softer side, but they would be okay, if not the softish springs they put on them. JDM springs are stiffer.

^ Still, you gotta admit that that Spec.B got around those cones pretty smartly.

This makes me ponder the design idea behind the Legacy. Because it has a lower center of gravity due to the boxer engine, some body roll in a Legacy isn't as crucial a handling factor as it might be in car with a higher COG from a V6 or I6. That comparison test between the MS6 and the Spec.B might illustrate the point. The MS6 was marginally better in a couple of handling criteria but comments about the ride of the MS6 were that it was quite harsh. Maybe too harsh for comfortable daily driving. Then there was the other comparison test between all the AWD sport sedans and the Spec.B posted the fastest times around their test track.

Body roll does not always equate to bad handling. It looked very neutral and very controlable even with the body roll.

Heres another car with seemingly too much body roll but still handles great:

http://www.creativetalent.co.uk/rogerclark/

^ The fastest times have to be considered definitive for all the various reasons and excuses listed in previous posts.

Not in my book. I test for a living. In engineering, constistency is sometimes better than being correct.

If I said that I used my G-Tech to get a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds on my LGT Wagon, would you believe me?

In my line of work, I would compare Motor Week's times with other cars tested the same day on the same track with the same driver.

Not in my book. I test for a living. In engineering, constistency is sometimes better than being correct.

If I said that I used my G-Tech to get a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds on my LGT Wagon, would you believe me?

In my line of work, I would compare Motor Week's times with other cars tested the same day on the same track with the same driver.

Sometimes correct is correct and what is engineering but the application of theory that will endure tests?

You have nothing to lose by posting suspect results and your track record is nil.

I would compare the entire sample size.

I cant comment... im coming from a g-body so I think this car is the best handling vehicle EVER!! Im very happy with my purchase short of power but they are easily modded to my needs..

Great, another old Buick fart.

Howdy brother, can I get a whopwhopwhopwhowpwhopffffffffff.

(inside Buick joke)

It is becoming irritating to hear from the media "if you can ignore the Subaru logo when looking at the price" or "This is a lot of money for a 4 cylindar legacy, but you get a lot..."

I dont think the reviewers are being ignorant, more they have to word their reviews in a way the general ignorant american consumer market can understand because in their minds (take your avg friend or family member who knows nothing about or appreciates cars) 'subaru' and '4 cylinder' arent really attractive selling points for a mid size sedan designed to compete with BMW 3 series.

Ed

I dont think the reviewers are being ignorant, more they have to word their reviews in a way the general ignorant american consumer market can understand because in their minds (take your avg friend or family member who knows nothing about or appreciates cars) 'subaru' and '4 cylinder' arent really attractive selling points for a mid size sedan designed to compete with BMW 3 series.

Ed

Yeah but it sounds like you should be ashamed of driving a Subaru. And Im not.

Great, another old Buick fart.

Howdy brother, can I get a whopwhopwhopwhowpwhopffffffffff.

(inside Buick joke)

that "inside joke" is one of my favorite about the car...

OLD?!?!? im only 22 :cool:

glad to see another buick lover around these parts

Ed

Or that some are willing to launch the car during the test so it's within an inch of its life and others are a little more real world and don't want to destroy the clutch.

Or that some are willing to launch the car during the test so it's within an inch of its life and others are a little more real world and don't want to destroy the clutch.

I would think the former to be the more likely case seeing as how it's not their car so what do they care especially when they are paid to determine maximum capabilities? I would also tend to believe that testers who have preformed hundreds of tests will drive as hard as they can and be pretty good at it too.

Archived