LegacyGT.com

Anybody with a cubby install with alternator whine?

gfxdave99

So after trying a few ghetto fixes (like putting a ground loop isolator on the front channels) which helped some but didnt get rid of it.

I currently have a panasonic HU and plan on swapping it out with an alpine soon as I have abandoned all hope on the dual zone JDM project :spin:

I know there are plenty of how-tos on troubleshooting ground loops alt whine but I was wondering if anybody who has a cubby install perhaps had a specific problem/solution related to the LGT in particular.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

So after trying a few ghetto fixes (like putting a ground loop isolator on the front channels) which helped some but didnt get rid of it.

I currently have a panasonic HU and plan on swapping it out with an alpine soon as I have abandoned all hope on the dual zone JDM project :spin:

I know there are plenty of how-tos on troubleshooting ground loops alt whine but I was wondering if anybody who has a cubby install perhaps had a specific problem/solution related to the LGT in particular.

So what didn't you like about the Panasonic? I thought you were pretty pleased with that one. Hmm

Anyway, so are you hearing alternator whine on your aftermarket deck? Is this on something coming in to your Aux-in, or is this on the deck itself (when its playing a cd for example)? I would think it should be better isolated against something like that. Maybe thats why you're ditching the Pani. ??

:)

Go Cardinals!

So what didn't you like about the Panasonic? I thought you were pretty pleased with that one. Hmm

Anyway, so are you hearing alternator whine on your aftermarket deck? Is this on something coming in to your Aux-in, or is this on the deck itself (when its playing a cd for example)? I would think it should be better isolated against something like that. Maybe thats why you're ditching the Pani. ??

:)

Ditiching the panasonic for two reasons, one is i found out that although it has a built in HD radio tuner, it has no support for XM/Sirius an the other is that its just one model behind from being compatible with panasonics cd changer to ipod control. My friend has the newer alpine that has their ipod "full speed" interface and he has a loaded up 30gb ipod and the control is very intuitive, easy to use and fast. As well Alpine has introduced a ai.net to usb adapter. This means in addition to my ipod I can hookup a usb hard drive and use the same interface.

Of course now that I think about it... if I got the usb interface, i could do without my ipod in the car completly. Hmmmmmm

Anyway the whine def sources at the HU, with the RCA's disconnected from the amp and the engine running there is no whine. The ipod only makes it worse. If I hook up the ipod running on battery to the mini jack its no worse then the whine on fm/cd however once i hook up the charger to the ipod i get a 2nd level of whine. It's more noticable at louder volumes.. and i kept thinking well i'll get to it when I upgrade the HU but its really getting on nerves.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

You have a sub don't you? Does the noise increase with RPM's??

Well the noise level doesnt increase per-se but it does vary in pitch as you accelerate...

• 4 weeks later...

I previously had a scoche ground loop isolator that didnt work that great. Today to try and solve my problems I was gonna pick up some at radio shack but the reviews of the radio shack ones raised issues of degrades sound quality and loss of bass response. So I decided to try this one from circuit city and I put one on my front channel to the amp rca's and one between the aux in cable for the ipod on the rca end and....

No more noise.

All the noise in my system is gone. This GLI worked great, there is no degradation of sound and with the volume on my HU all the way up with the ipod paused at WOT there is no more alt noise. And while some people say the radio shack one degraded sound I think my system sounds better because I dont have any background noise interfering with my s/n anymore.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tsunami-50-Watt-Ground-Loop-Isolator-FLGL400/sem/rpsm/oid/91699/catOid/-16463/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
I have a garmin in my cubby along with a 3.5 jack ran to my arm rest aux in. I also ran the power cord to the arm rest cigarette lighter. I have a stock system, and was wondering if I grounding the cigarette lighter to the ebrake or such would help the alternator whine i am getting?

I have a garmin in my cubby along with a 3.5 jack ran to my arm rest aux in. I also ran the power cord to the arm rest cigarette lighter. I have a stock system, and was wondering if I grounding the cigarette lighter to the ebrake or such would help the alternator whine i am getting?

I think adding a ground loop isolator to that line will help.

I think adding a ground loop isolator to that line will help.

I normally would have gone into more detail, but my computer time was limited as I was posting yesterday. I should have gone into more detail by saying that I am using an amplirider(a great unit I found out about from other threads). I tried using the ground loop isolator between the amplirider output and the aux-in board, but i still got the whine. I currently have the amplirider grounded at the ebrake.

Maybe the better question would be should I move the amplirider ground or the cig lighter?

Also, to those interested in this setup or curious to see more...I will be posting pics up soon of my GPS & Ipod install.

Archived