LegacyGT.com

2002 Legacy GT, where do I start?

JayH

Alright, I have a 2002 Legacy GT Limited Sedan, and would like to see what this car can do with some mods. Where do I start?

I have read several threads about AP and think this is popbably what I want to go with. Is Cobb the company to go with, do they make an AP for the '02 Legacy?

The tires I am running with right now are Goodyear tripletreads size 205/55/HR16, I am not really interested in handling performance as long as I can stay safe on these. I don't think the AP can give enough power to be dangerous, I drive like a granny anyway (maybe not after I get some mods).

What are the potential risks to the car with AP? My car is a an everyday driver and I can't afford to blow the engine.

Thanks!!

Hey, congrates on the ride.

No one is currently making a AP for the 00-04 BE/BHs. It doesn't look like anyone will. You can send your ECM out for a reflash to Ispeed, I believe they are the only ones doing it. There are some piggy-back options, perfect power, emanage, Hydra, etc. Probably need to do a search, too much to list here.

You can get good some OK power from exhaust changes.

I had a set of Triple threads and they were very good tires.

Peace,

Greg

Alright, I have a 2002 Legacy GT Limited Sedan, and would like to see what this car can do with some mods. Where do I start?

I have read several threads about AP and think this is popbably what I want to go with. Is Cobb the company to go with, do they make an AP for the '02 Legacy?

The tires I am running with right now are Goodyear tripletreads size 205/55/HR16, I am not really interested in handling performance as long as I can stay safe on these. I don't think the AP can give enough power to be dangerous, I drive like a granny anyway (maybe not after I get some mods).

What are the potential risks to the car with AP? My car is a an everyday driver and I can't afford to blow the engine.

Thanks!!

First, you drive down to your local Subie dealer,

Next you trade the '02 in on an '07 GT,... :spin:

First, you drive down to your local Subie dealer,

Next you trade the '02 in on an '07 GT,... :spin:

Yeah, won't be able to do that for a bit yet. Besides, I like my '02 even if it is a bit wimpy. Guess I'll have to stick to modding my truck.

Thanks for being easy on me guys, I know I must have sounded stupid asking for an AP for my '02. Wishful thinking I guess.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, won't be able to do that for a bit yet. Besides, I like my '02 even if it is a bit wimpy. Guess I'll have to stick to modding my truck.

Thanks for being easy on me guys, I know I must have sounded stupid asking for an AP for my '02. Wishful thinking I guess.

Thanks for the input.

As was said previously, ECU tunes on normally-aspirated engines don't net much gain. You have to add hardware.

Power gains on a turbo are much easier.

Yes, '00-'04 Legacies are pretty weak (no offense) thanks to Subaru not offering more power, but upping the weight. So while us '96-'99 LGT can get by with 165 hp, newer ones not so much. Real simple, go on ebay and find a short ram air intake. Good for 3 -5 horsepower, which is actually a bit more noticeable if you have a 5 speed MT. And it will definately make your car sound faster :-).

Okay, I have a question. Why would a different intake be better than the stock setup that is already drawing air right from the front of the car? Correct my line of thinking here.

I am probably going to get the Weapon-R Secret with the Ram Air intake, if you guys can explain this one to me.

Thanks!

well for one, look at all the twists and turns and air boxes the air has to go through to get to the engine. Add a short ram or cold air intake (pulling from the fender) and the air get's there much faster and less restriction. That's what i think anyways so correct me if i am wrong anyone. still learning myself :)

i got a cobb cold air intake and it added some hp, added some mpg, also sounds nicer too.

well for one, look at all the twists and turns and air boxes the air has to go through to get to the engine. Add a short ram or cold air intake (pulling from the fender) and the air get's there much faster and less restriction. That's what i think anyways so correct me if i am wrong anyone. still learning myself :)

i got a cobb cold air intake and it added some hp, added some mpg, also sounds nicer too.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking actually. The Ram air setups seem to be a much more direct flow. Thanks for the input!

• 2 weeks later...
Where did you find a cobb intake, I have an 01 but couldn't find anything but a weapon R?

I got mine from Cobb's web site before they removed it. You can find it online still though. Check out SubaruParts.com.

You can also just get an Ebay intake and buy a KN cone filter separately. I remember the same person that someone mentioned dynoing the ebay one and it got pretty good gains (read; almost as good as the cobb's) considering it was like $30 :lol:

You can also just get an Ebay intake and buy a KN cone filter separately. I remember the same person that someone mentioned dynoing the ebay one and it got pretty good gains (read; almost as good as the cobb's) considering it was like $30 :lol:

That's nice. Maybe some of us don't want cheap ebay crap for our cars :)

Archived