LegacyGT.com

Spied: BMW M3 Sedan

From Car and Driver....

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/031820071110477766.jpg

Spied: 2009 BMW M3 Sedan - Car News

To thrill a larger back-seat audience, the upcoming BMW M3 will be available as a sedan.

BY JARED GALL, PHOTOGRAPHY BY HANS G. LEHMANN/HIDDEN IMAGE

March 2007

BMW stole the spotlight at the Geneva auto show with the introduction of its M3 “concept,” a concept only in name and color. Any new M3 is press-stopping news to the enthusiast community, but this time its all the bigger because word has trickled down of an expanded M3 lineup that will eventually include a lighter-weight coupe, a convertible, a wagon, and a sedan.

Our spies have previously caught the folding-hardtop convertible in action on public roads, and now they bring us these pictures of the sedan, the first four-door M3 in ten years, by the time it shows up. Based on these photos of test mules, we cannot verify the sedan will wear the same front-end styling as was shown on the Geneva concept, but we expect it will be very similar. Notably absent in the rear three-quarter shot is the fender vent from the concept, another detail we expect to see on production versions of this car.

What we do see in the photos is that the M3 sedan will have the same flared wheel openings as the coupe, the same sneering headlights, as well as the same quad-exhaust outlets and the subtle Gurney flap rear spoiler. The spy shots also caught an open sunroof, which suggests the more practical sedan will forgo the extreme weight-saving carbon-fiber roof of the coupe.

With or without that roof, the M3 sedan will retain the heart of the beast, the high-revving 4.0-liter V-8 with approximately 410 hp. With the twin-turbo inline six of the 335i sedan, we’ve recorded 0-to-60-mph sprints in 4.8 seconds, so the M3 sedan will still be capable of that benchmark blast in less than five seconds with a husky pilot bogging the launch and missing a shift.

We expect the M3 coupe to launch this fall, while the convertible will come in about a year’s time and the sedan will join the fold in the fall of 2008. Last time BMW sold an M3 sedan, in 1998, consumers had their choice of two or four doors for the same base price. This time around, we expect the M3 to start at around $55,000. Choices, choices….

A wagon M3..........:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

425-435HP.........6mt:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

If it happends my piggy bank is going to have to be cracked open. Knowing our luck though it will se Euro only:(:(:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

from edmunds.com

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee992c7/cmd.233/enclosure..ee992c8

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee992ca/cmd.233/enclosure..ee992cb

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee992cd/cmd.233/enclosure..ee992ce

would love to own this car.....if i could afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

HA! they must think the only way people can tell they are BMW is by the logo...BMW wheels aren't distinctive...

As for is if an M is worth it...you have never driven an M edition. They always make it worth it...this isn't a Spec B LOL!

Rode in an M6 auto and a M5 stick a few weeks ago and I am still longing for more...

but the 335i is a lot faster than the 330i

Well, I don't htink you forgot that the 335i got what, a 50 to 70 crank hp increase over the 330i? The new M3 has what, 87 more hp than the old M3? Again, I think its way worth it. The 335i > 330 by a good margin, and the new M3 > old M3 by a good margin, at least it seems that way.

nice, though expensive; might as well go for an audi rs4 or something like that at that price point

What's the price point on the new one?

I haven't seen anything concrete yet...

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

Archived