LegacyGT.com

Rear Defroster = Horrible Radio Static????

croll326

every time i turn on my rear defroster i get horrible static in the radio and have to turn it off. i assume this is because the antenna is built in to the rear window. has anyone else had this problem? is there a fix?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ theres a TSB out on bad reception you have to go to your dealer and have them order you a antenna ground strap inside of your rear gate.

window tint has nothing to do with it.

and you don't have to get a new rear window.

• 2 weeks later...
so does that mean that they will have to replace the whole rear window on my sedan?

I went to the dealer regarding the static and they informed me that there is an issue with the radio antenna and would have to replace the rear window to resolve the issue (since the antenna is on the glass). Under Warranty of course.

Nemo me impune lacessit

must be nice to have a dealer that will help you out. baierl subaru in pittsburgh, pa seems to try and get out of everything. to me if the radio has bad static when you turn the rear defroster on that is a defect. that SHOULD NOT happen. if anyone finds a link to a TSB for this id love to see it so i can take it to the dealer and make them fix my car.

I went to the dealer regarding the static and they informed me that there is an issue with the radio antenna and would have to replace the rear window to resolve the issue (since the antenna is on the glass). Under Warranty of course.

no thats not how it works.

theres a grounding strap which gets placed between the R defrost harness and antena wire within the hatch.

you don't get a new glass

no thats not how it works.

theres a grounding strap which gets placed between the R defrost harness and antena wire within the hatch.

you don't get a new glass

I asked them about the grounding strap and they told me the tech checked it and that was not the cause of the problem.

My only thought is that they would say it is the rear window is the cause of the problem to charge SOA for the cost of repairing the window and just replace the grounding strap... Sounds a little devious any thoughts?

Nemo me impune lacessit

normally i'm in downtown pgh or oakland, so i'm pretty close to most of the transmitters.

even during the dead of winter when i was using my rear defroster a lot, i never noticed a problem with radio reception.

a couple of days ago i was in cranberry and decided to test this out.

the results were...

defroster on = could only hear static (stereo light/indicator on the hu turns off)

defroster off = radio stations came in perfectly fine

somehow i doubt my case is bad enough to get a dealership to do anything at all

if anyone manages to get a dealership to fix this issue on a sedan, please post the pertinent information.

somehow i doubt my case is bad enough to get a dealership to do anything at all

if anyone manages to get a dealership to fix this issue on a sedan, please post the pertinent information.

how is you case not bad enough??

solution: new rear window.

is there anyway to bypass the antenna in the window and just hide a piece of speaker wire somewhere?????

That's nuts. If it doesn't work make Subaru fix it. BTW, not a problem with mine.....except I do get static on AM when stepping on the brake pedal inside a parking garage helix. I'm not bs'ing you...I figure it's the ABS electronics.

when i get some free time i'll probably take my car in to have this problem addressed, but i just wasn't sure if it was an inherent design flaw or if other people had this same issue.

iirc the area i was in when i tested my defroster is about 25 or 30 miles from the transmitter.

the geography of the region probably played a role in the static as well (the signal quality fluctuated depending on where i was…hills/building probably were blocking+interfering w/ the signal too).

i suspect that the static was caused by the defroster, but the fact that the signal wasn’t perfect couldn’t have helped either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived