LegacyGT.com

g35x awd and the legacy awd

i drive a07 legacy as u can see but its no gt and ive been thinkin about trading in my car for a gt like a 05 or something but i think i would be down grading to a 05 but then again i would be upgrading to a gt and i was also looking at the g35x

I'm pretty sure the G35x is the "good kind" of part-time AWD in that it is RWD until slip, similar to how AWD operates on 911's, etc.

911's use a full time AWD system with something like a 65/35 rear bias if I remember correctly. At least the 997 turbo does.

I believe Road and Track said the G35X is RWD unless slippage occurs then some power is sent to the front, up to maybe 40% on demand. LGT is AWD all the time. Check R/Ts website for the article on comparing AWD near luxury Sedans form about a year or 18 months ago.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

I'm a big fan of Infiniti but I trust Subie AWD to the max in poor road conditions. It's nice knowing you have 50/50 split going into something because then you can at least anticipate potential reactions. I.E. Changing lanes on a slush rutted freeway. You know that your front wheels are delivering power as you power through the ruts.

If you wanted RWD with some foul weather capability then the Gx would be sweet. On the other hand, you just wouldn't know when or how much would kick in to the fronts. When I go to the donut shop in the snow with the Spec.B, I know exactly where the power is being applied when powering around those curves.

The 5EAT AWD is 45/55, and then modulates power accordingly to get you out of the mess you put yourself in. It can power oversteer very nicely at the corner exit. It's all in how you drive it.

If you wanted RWD with some foul weather capability then the Gx would be sweet. On the other hand, you just wouldn't know when or how much would kick in to the fronts. When I go to the donut shop in the snow with the Spec.B, I know exactly where the power is being applied when powering around those curves.

How?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

i drive a07 legacy as u can see but its no gt and ive been thinkin about trading in my car for a gt like a 05 or something but i think i would be down grading to a 05 but then again i would be upgrading to a gt and i was also looking at the g35x

If you're seriously considering this, let me know. I've considered going the opposite direction (trading GT for standard model - i or SE) to reduce my payment and pay off my student loans faster. I know I'd miss the power though, so I'm not sure though...

Go Cardinals!

How?

50/50 split at least intially and nominally. RWD is predictable as well. 100% to the rear wheels. FWD traction is less predictable because steering inputs coupled with throttle application can overcome tractive friction.

If you're seriously considering this, let me know. I've considered going the opposite direction (trading GT for standard model - i or SE) to reduce my payment and pay off my student loans faster. I know I'd miss the power though, so I'm not sure though...

how much are you paying a month

The G35x according to road and track does the following...

"The G35x's center diff is responsible. From 0 to 10 mph, its electromagnetic wet clutch splits the torque 25 percent front/75 percent rear for good grip off the line; thereafter, the car is 100-percent rear drive until rear-wheel slip is sensed. Then, the diff can send as much as 50 percent of the power forward."

Sounds very much like the system in the Subaru 4EAT 2.5i except backwards and NOT a symmetrical layout. Like the Subaru I don't think it goes 100%, more like 90/10 which will allow the transfer of power when needed to be quicker. Also like the Subaru it varies the power based on acceleration so that you don't get any wheel spin. The 4eat 2.5i is programmed to give you zero wheel spin which it should because it is front bias and this is more unpredictable and torque sensitive as explained in the post above so you need those rear wheels to kick in quickly and often to help out (hence the name "Continuous"). The g35x on the other hand will give you enough wheel spin to get the tail end to step out on a corner to give a rear wheel drive effect with more control.

If we want to talk about the GT system then I would say the GT is an AWD car with some RWD dialed in by the system. While the G35x is a RWD car with some AWD dialed in by the system. Programming wise the Subaru is always thinking AWD drive first and will dial in the rear bias when it thinks its safe to do so. The G35x is always thinking RWD and will dial in the all wheel drive bias when it thinks it would be prudent to do so before this idiot driver kills himself :D

The Subaru stick/manual 50/50 is a different story. It just senses slip and reacts to it without computers.

50/50 split at least intially and nominally. RWD is predictable as well. 100% to the rear wheels. FWD traction is less predictable because steering inputs coupled with throttle application can overcome tractive friction.

Really, most sincerely? So the Legacy the OP has must suck in snow, then?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

been thinkin about trading in my car for a gt like a 05 or something but i think i would be down grading to a 05 but then again i would be upgrading to a gt and i was also looking at the g35x

I wouldnt worry about the "downgrade" from an 07 to an 05 if you were getting the GT.

Except for resale purposes and a silly SI drive knob you wont miss anything. And when you put your foot down youll forget about all that :)

G35x would be good too, like others have said, you will mod a LGT, its just a matter of time... ;)

We own both an 05 LGT (my ride) and an 06 G35x (my wife's ride). The G is pricier, more luxurious, and better looking IMHO. However, it is taller than other Gs and seems to have a heavier and more massive feel to it than the LGT. It is not as nimble as the LGT. It also comes only in AT. It may be as quick as a stock LGT, but my stage 2 LGT blows it away. It does well in the snow but without the MT, you don't feel as if you have as much control. When we first got it and I drove it alot, I thought I could actually enjoy it as my DD...for an AT it is actually FUN to drive. But the more I've driven it, the more it pales compared to my LGT (but I'm stage 2 with suspension and brake mods). It also has a somewhat sensitive and somewhat jumpy throttle. The brakes are terrific though and blow away even the SS lines and Bobcat setup I have on my LGT. While the LGT windows roll down rather slowly, the G's windows roll down waaaay too quickly.....hard to stop them in the precise location you want.

My wife is enjoying the G alot and it has done well for her in the snow (even with the poorly rated GY RSAs) but gas mileage is not very good and is probably her only complaint (other than having difficulty getting the gas cap off :redface: ). I don't think she is even getting 20mpg out of it doing a combined city/highway commute.

The Lakeshore Slate exterior combined with the Stone interior is beautiful IMHO. Blows away my SWP/Taupe Limited (though I like that alot too).

Feel free to pm me if you have any other specific questions.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Archived