LegacyGT.com

Schumacher wanted out as early as Bahrein 2006 (1st race of 06)

f1anatic

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=motorSportsNews&storyID=2007-03-13T010104Z_01_L106050_RTRIDST_0_MOTOR-RACING-SCHUMACHER-BOOKS-SPORTS-FEATURE.XML&pageNumber=3&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3

var currentTime = new Date();var tmstmp = ''+currentTime.getYear()+currentTime.getMonth()+currentTime.getDate()+currentTime.getUTCHours()+currentTime.getUTCMinutes()+currentTime.getUTCSeconds()+currentTime.getUTCMilliseconds(); function getSeg() {var dc = document.cookie; var ret = ""; var prefix = "DMSEG="; var begin = dc.indexOf("; " + prefix); var end = -1; var cookieValue = "";try { if(begin > 0) { begin = begin + prefix.length + 2; }else if(dc.indexOf(prefix) == 0) {begin = prefix.length;}if(begin >= 0) {end = dc.indexOf(";", begin);if(end == -1) end = dc.length; // last cookie cookieValue = unescape(dc.substring(begin, end));if(end < begin) return ret;if(cookieValue != null && typeof('cookieValue') == "string" && cookieValue.length > 0) {var valsplit = cookieValue.split("&");if(valsplit != null && valsplit.length > 5){var segsplit = valsplit[5] != null ? valsplit[5].split(",") : null;if(segsplit != null && segsplit.length > 0)for(var i = 0; i < segsplit.length; i++) {ret += "seg1=" + segsplit + ";";} } } } }catch(e) {}return ret;}var seg = getSeg("DMSEG"); http://i.today.reuters.co.uk/images/reuters.gif

http://i.today.reuters.co.uk/images/printerFriendlyIcon.gifPrint this article Close This Window FEATURE-Schumacher fans in withdrawal turn to books

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 AM BST

By Erik Kirschbaum

BERLIN, March 13 (Reuters) - The legions of Michael Schumacher's German fans have been going through a painful withdrawal process since the seven-times world champion retired in October.

Four new books about Schumacher published since their hero hung up his Ferrari crash helmet after a scintillating final drive in Brazil at the end of the 2006 season are making the transition to the post-Schumi era a bit less painful.

While many of the details of his 16-year Formula One career, record-setting seven championships and 91 Grand Prix wins are well known, the books nevertheless offer illuminating insights about Schumacher and his decision to go out as one of the best.

"I kept having to push myself to tests or appointments that I didn't really want to be going to any more," Schumacher reveals with unusual candour in "Michael Schumacher" by Sabine Kehm about his flagging interest in 2006.

The book by Kehm, his press spokeswoman and confidant for eight years, is easily the best of the bunch.

The three others are: "Michael Schumacher - The end of an era" by Karin Sturm; "King Schumi - His Life, His Victories, His Tears" by Helmut Uhl; and "Thanks Schumi! The Michael Schumacher Story" by Willy Knupp.

While pictures and behind-the-scenes images are a central element of all four books Kehm's fascinating narrative is hard to put down.

"I'm not talking about the races or the race weekend work. I'm talking about all the other stuff...the everyday work," Schumacher tells Kehm, explaining in depth his growing fatigue and the origins of his decision to quit last year at 37.

BORING TRAINING

"I always had to go all out in testing. That's the only way to make progress. But going to the limit all the time begins to erode your strength.

"After Bahrain, Malaysia and Australia, I started asking myself how I had managed to keep it up in all the years in the past. I often counted the minutes until I could go home. I don't know if that's the normal wear and tear but tests all year long really wore me down. I was exhausted, more so than in the past."

He said that he realised he "didn't have the motivation any more" for all the preparations needed and bemoaned "training methods that bore you to death".

Schumacher revealed he began leaning towards quitting just before the first 2006 race in Bahrain -- after equalling Ayrton Senna's record of 65 pole positions.

"I always got very emotional when confronted with the history of Ayrton," said Schumacher. "Obviously you don't want to admit that and you try to hide your emotions so you don't show the others you're vulnerable.

"But it happened and I knew we would have a good season, and I had the feeling that now would be a good point to retire. After that it felt more and more like the right decision."

Schumacher said he told Ferrari team manager Jean Todt after Bahrain that he wanted to quit. He said Todt accepted it but told him to think about it for a while. Later, Ferrari said the announcement had to wait until September.

"I personally would have preferred to have announced it sooner, but Ferrari traditionally does that sort of thing at Monza," he said. "I didn't have any problem with that...At least I wouldn't have to keep saying ridiculous things or evade questions."

GRUFF COOLNESS

Schumacher said he was glad he stepped out while journalists and fans were "still asking 'But why now?' rather than 'Why is he still driving? He's too old and too slow'." In the end he was surprised how easy it was to tell the world he was quitting.

Kehm portrays Schumacher as a sensitive and shy man. She said his awkward attempts early in his career to conceal and overcome his aversion to the spotlight with a "gruff coolness" made him appear "pig-headed, aggressive, and unfriendly".

"Every time he's appears in public he has to overcome his inner self," she writes. "He's reserved and never wants to be at the centre of attention. But he also doesn't want anyone to notice his lack of confidence."

Kehm said Schumacher always struggled with fan adulation and recalls how upset he was when a small boy burst into tears as he was about to get an autograph. Kehm said Schumacher was "deeply shaken", stroked the boy's hair quickly and ran back to his trailer to sit down and regain his composure.

"It hurt him when people called him a machine, a robot or a computer even though he would never admit it," she wrote. "He's in essence a sensitive...and introverted man."

The books by Uhl and Knupp are fact-filled tributes for adoring fans. Uhl has come up with some interesting statistics:

Schumacher spent a total of 5.6 years on the road, away from his family, testing, racing and at sponsor events. He drove 361,500 kilometres in Formula One cars in tests and races, burning 252,000 litres of fuel and 15,800 tyres.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Close This Window http://ig.insightgrit.com/dg2.asp?r=860235&t=&acc=A06001&url=http%3A//today.reuters.co.uk/misc/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx%3Ftype%3DmotorSportsNews%26storyID%3D2007-03-13T010104Z_01_L106050_RTRIDST_0_MOTOR-RACING-SCHUMACHER-BOOKS-SPORTS-FEATURE.XML&se=&c=&kw=&l=CPS&rf=http%3A//today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx%3Ftype%3DmotorSportsNews%26storyID%3D2007-03-13T010104Z_01_L106050_RTRIDST_0_MOTOR-RACING-SCHUMACHER-BOOKS-SPORTS-FEATURE.XML%26pageNumber%3D3%26imageid%3D%26cap%3D%26sz%3D13%26WTModLoc%3DNewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3http://statse.webtrendslive.com/dcsncwimc10000kzgoor3wv9x_3f2v/njs.gif?dcsuri=/nojavascript&WT.js=No DM_cat("reuters.co.uk > PrinterFriendly");DM_tag();http://p.reuters.co.uk/J03402/a3/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/noscript.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time changes one's perspective on events. I'll bet several years from now his recollection will be a bad start to the 2006 season and some discouragement, but how can someone disinterested in driving do as well as he did for the balance of the season?

He's left some pretty big shoes to fill, and I don't see anyone capable of doing it, yet.

Agreed, no one will step in and dominate like he did, but certainly the Ferrari machine still has a last gasp left to really show what Kimi can do with a proper team and car. Renault has also shown a pretty solid reliability track record and with a good cosmic match in driver/car/team they could also easily support another long stint of domination.

Either way, there are plenty of possibilities out there and I am more excited for the beginning of this season that I have been for many past.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Certainly going to be wide open to begin with, but i wouldn't be surprised if one team isn't way ahead by half way through the season. Most likely Kimi, and then they'll try to change the rules again. The old fart is already talking about making the points difference between 1st and 2nd much greater.

Interesting stuff. Imagine if he was into all the testing in 2006. It was close as it was with a demotivated Big Schu!

As to the points, isn't it funny that F1 emulated NASCAR with the current points so the Michael wouldn't run away with the championship by going to the 10-8-6-5-4... points system, and now that Schumi is gone, Ecclestone says "we need to emphasize winning"! Although his public rationale is "with only two points betw 1st and 2nd place, no one wants to risk an on track pass," which is true enough.

I have always thought 10-6-4-3-2-1 was the ideal scoring system. I think the outcome of the season wouzld have been different in 06 had that been the scoring system. Not to mention 03 when even with Schumi winning lots of races...he only edged Kimi at the end (and Kimi won like 2-3 races to Michael's 7-8-9)...oh so long ago.

I have always thought 10-6-4-3-2-1 was the ideal scoring system.

I agree, there needs to be more incentive/reward for first place. Although, points for placing further out than 6th place was fun for the 2nd tier teams and their fight for sponsorship money at the end of the season.

I have always thought 10-6-4-3-2-1 was the ideal scoring system. I think the outcome of the season wouzld have been different in 06 had that been the scoring system. Not to mention 03 when even with Schumi winning lots of races...he only edged Kimi at the end (and Kimi won like 2-3 races to Michael's 7-8-9)...oh so long ago.

It would've been a NASCAR travesty if Kimi won it all in 2003, but the FIA and Bernie didn't want a championship over by the 10th race, which is what Schu/Ferrari might've done. I agree the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system is the best compromise, but it they want points to go farther down to 8th, a 12-8-6-5-4... point system would be ok with me. It would be like going back to the 9-6-4-3-2-1 system for relative points for 1st and 2nd, but wouldn't reward a victory as much as 10-6-4-3..., but it would be a fair compromise.

My client is guilty as sin, they have the evidence on video tape, and I have no witnesses to present since he never gave me their names. Unless the State is incompetent, they will win. And I will have seen the first televised F1 practice of 2007 in the USA. It's all good for me!

Not so much.

Massa is quick...and Kimmi better catch up if he is to put his foot where his mouth is. That's becoming something of a consistent gap now between Massa and Kimmi...0-3-0.4 sec.

call me a bad guy..

here's a man with unquestionable talent..total dedication.. total understanding of the rule book. (which gained him several deserved wins) but questionable morals..always shaving the the edge of honesty. So much so it cost him the 06 championship.

Had he NOT done his disgraceful "stall" at Monaco, and the resulting penalty, would have won the the championship.

Personally I thought it was fitting.

IAN

call me a bad guy..

here's a man with unquestionable talent..total dedication.. total understanding of the rule book. (which gained him several deserved wins) but questionable morals..always shaving the the edge of honesty. So much so it cost him the 06 championship.

Had he NOT done his disgraceful "stall" at Monaco, and the resulting penalty, would have won the the championship.

Personally I thought it was fitting.

IAN

Yesterdays practice was the first time I've seen the paint schemes on the new cars. Wow, what an ugly crowd. The Mclaren is okay, last years was better, the Ferrari is probably my favorite of the group. But good lord is the Renault ugly as sin... yellow and brown... well done boys, well done.

Archived