LegacyGT.com

Potential LGT 5-spd buyer

Hey all,

I wrote a post yesterday morning, and was told it would be reviewed by a moderator before posting, but I haven't seen it yet so I am reposting.

I've been reading this forum off and on for a few months, and had some questions...but first....

My wife and I test drove an 07 LGT 5-speed 2 nights ago, and we were very impressed.

The power was intoxicating; I had just driven an 07 WRX 5-spd (literally, right beforehand) and I felt the Legacy was much stronger throughout the power band; specifically in SI-Drive.

My wife, who is great, said to me before our drive, "This knob is probably totally gimicky. It's probably all in your head." Hah! She couldn't stop playing with it, and loved it.

The seats were very comfortable and I felt the leather was of a good quality and feel and combination of soft yet durable to touch.

We're still going to go test drive the GTI (less money, Xenons, better gas mileage, different feel), and maybe a few other things before making a decision. But answers to these questions will really help.

Reliability: Clutch life seems to be on the low-side of normal. My wife and I don't do launches or any real racing, just occasional aggressive back-road driving. Will the stock clutch hold out 60-100k miles? It seems alot of people get 30-50k out of the stock; was this an early model problem? A symptom of bumped up power on this forum?

Other reliability seems very solid.

Road noise: I felt road noise was a little higher than I was expecting for this class of car. Probably a result of the Re92s, but can anyone confirm? It doesn't bother me, but I'm curious.

Engine vibration: The car we drove had 100 miles on it. I've owned the 2.0 liter turbo boxer before, but this engine defintely felt like it was moving around a little. Poor engine mounts? Engine needs to break-in? Design of the car?

Short throw shifter: The car we drove had the STS listed on the window, but I don't think it had it. Our shifter was high; about standard height for a normal car. Throws were moderate in length, not short or long, but felt a little rubbery and also notchy going into the gate. Is the short throw shifter more the height of the STi or Spec.B. shifter? Any real reasons to go STi STS over Cobb double adjustable?

Price: The list price appears to be around 29.5k w/ spoiler and STS. We would purchase towards the end of the year. Would it be possible to get this down to around 26.5k? Am I being unreasonable there?

Thank you for any and all input.

Kind regards,

Joe

Reliability: Clutch life seems to be on the low-side of normal. My wife and I don't do launches or any real racing, just occasional aggressive back-road driving. Will the stock clutch hold out 60-100k miles? It seems alot of people get 30-50k out of the stock; was this an early model problem? A symptom of bumped up power on this forum?

The clutch will last a long time if you don't launch it. 70k easy.

Road noise: I felt road noise was a little higher than I was expecting for this class of car. Probably a result of the Re92s, but can anyone confirm? It doesn't bother me, but I'm curious.

Re92s suck. I through on a pair of Avon M550A/S ($100/each) and it felt like a whole new car. Smooth as butter and the understeer was decreased dramatically.

Engine vibration: The car we drove had 100 miles on it. I've owned the 2.0 liter turbo boxer before, but this engine defintely felt like it was moving around a little. Poor engine mounts? Engine needs to break-in? Design of the car?

Boxers definitely have some rumble/moving. They have STi engine/tranny mounts that will secure the mechanicals to the chassis.

Short throw shifter: The car we drove had the STS listed on the window, but I don't think it had it. Our shifter was high; about standard height for a normal car. Throws were moderate in length, not short or long, but felt a little rubbery and also notchy going into the gate. Is the short throw shifter more the height of the STi or Spec.B. shifter? Any real reasons to go STi STS over Cobb double adjustable?

The STi STS isn't that short. I have a Cobb STS and I love it.

Price: The list price appears to be around 29.5k w/ spoiler and STS. We would purchase towards the end of the year. Would it be possible to get this down to around 26.5k? Am I being unreasonable there?

Almost any dealer will sell you it for invoice - rebates. If your planning to buy at the end of the year, i'm sure they will be a lot of rebates and incentives for you to cash into.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Ok, so - Clutch is fine under normal driving. Just the typical extra wear associated with AWD launching.

Tire noise on brand new re92s can be the culprit for said road noise. I'd still let 'em wear out personally.

As far as engine mounts - In past experiences, putting harder engine mounts on would solidify engine movement but increase cabin vibration. Does this sound true of potential STi engine mounts?

How long have you had the Cobb Double Adjustable. How low do you have it set? Any problems with shifting (i.e. grinding, inability to get into gear occasionally)? Did you replace any bushings at the same time? I would probably prefer Cobb if it's the same cost or less, but i'd be concerned about warranty matters...not because it would actually affect anything, but because some dealers are just a PITA. Moss-Magnuson aside.

When you refer to invoice - rebates, what exactly is a past example price point? I.e. Listed at 28500 and sold for 24500? Etc.

Again, thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

Joe

i'm jealous!!! i dream of a 2005 LGT. sportshift just doesn't suit me.... has it gotten better? there's an annoying lag on my mom's 2005 outback with the auto trans w/ sportshift.

p.s. sorry i'm no help lol. good luck on your new car exploration! i hope you choose subaru!

Ok, so - Clutch is fine under normal driving. Just the typical extra wear associated with AWD launching.

Tire noise on brand new re92s can be the culprit for said road noise. I'd still let 'em wear out personally.

As far as engine mounts - In past experiences, putting harder engine mounts on would solidify engine movement but increase cabin vibration. Does this sound true of potential STi engine mounts?

How long have you had the Cobb Double Adjustable. How low do you have it set? Any problems with shifting (i.e. grinding, inability to get into gear occasionally)? Did you replace any bushings at the same time? I would probably prefer Cobb if it's the same cost or less, but i'd be concerned about warranty matters...not because it would actually affect anything, but because some dealers are just a PITA. Moss-Magnuson aside.

When you refer to invoice - rebates, what exactly is a past example price point? I.e. Listed at 28500 and sold for 24500? Etc.

Again, thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

Joe

Hey, welcome here!

Replace the tires. They really suck. You can sell them for $200 here or at nasioc.com if with low miles, so this will nicely offset better set of tires purchase.

After tires, #2 mod should be better suspension (better struts/springs or coilovers and at least rear sway bar). Stock suspension is poor. Results in mediocre handling. Upgraded suspension transfers handling like it's different car.

Clutch is alright if not abused. There was a number of pressure plate failures reported, but seemed to apply to early 2005 mostly. The part # for clutch changed later on, so they could have improved something. OTOH, there are people with 340+ whp with early build 2005 with stock clutch at 70k miles without problems.

Can't help with current LGT pricing, but discounts are to be had. Since you're in PA, go to Becker Subaru. Ken Irivine there is a great guy.

And you have cool wife. Mine also loves the LGT and also prefers manual transmission. Actually she would not be caught dead in an auto.

Go for LGT. This car is FAAAR better value than anything German on the market.

If you really don't like them, dump them quickly. Re92s never wear out. :(

The benefit outweighs the small increase in vibration.

I've had it for 2-3 months. I love it! Reverse is a little harder to get into, but hopefully synthetic tranny fluid would fix this. I didn't do the bushing. Installing a cobb shifter will void your shifter warranty...but you already replaced that :)

I have mine set at the lowest setting for throw, and the same as stock setting for height. So my throw was decreased 30% with the same height.

As of now, invoice+destination fee is 27,063, and the current rebates is 750.

So 27,063 - 750 = $26,313

Also, pay consumer reports the $8 or whatever and get the list of manufacturer rebates. This will tell you how much they will be making and you can form a good offer.

I wrote a post yesterday morning, and was told it would be reviewed by a moderator before posting, but I haven't seen it yet so I am reposting.

Must of went through...

Archived