LegacyGT.com

HELP! Engine light on after powerwashing

rockhead

I guess the car was running too good for me. I took advantage of the warm weather yesterday and sprayed some degreaser on and under the engine, then hit it with my powerwasher. It started right back up, but now stutters and pops under load. It idles OK and revs with a little miss, but hardly takes throttle in drive. I tried driving down the block and the engine light came on, steady at first, then it began flashing! This morning the engine seems to run a little better, but the light is still on.

What have I done?

This is dirty for me.......

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32186&d=1171549130

Formula above & then after drying apply CD2 engine detailer.

You should always have a few old toothbrushes handy & quite a few old microfiber rags

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I can't beleive that with distributorless ignitions this kind of nonsense can still happen! I'm off today and going out to pull the plug wires and dry everything out. Hopefully my local Advance will have a code reader and I can figure this out. I really don't feel like swapping out sensors for a week.

OK, here's what I found.

I stuck my head under the hood with the engine running and saw something unusual; steam coming from one of the spark plug wire boots. I shut it down and pulled the plug wires. Would you beleive two of the four spark plug recesses were half-filled with water? I stuffed a rag in them, sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in, then dried with compressed air. I gave the plug boots a spray, too. Buttoned her all up and went for a ride. Seems like everything is back to normal, but the engine light is still on. Hopefully it will reset after a while. I might try to get it reset later today.

I'm going to stick to pressurewashing my deck and patio from now on.

I don't believe CELs reset themselves? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll have to clear it either by disconnecting the battery or I believe Autozone will rent a device for you to clear it. Or, if you know anyone with an AP, they can do it for you.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! :)

Went to my local Advance Auto Parts and took advantage of their free diagnostic tool service. Of course, the counter kid mentioned that it's "illegal" to reset the light, although he "thinks" the tool will do it. ;)

It threw three codes: Misfire Cylinder #1, Misfire Cylinder #3, Misfire Cylinder #4. I cleared them all and the light is out.

While there I bought a neat little refrigerant recharge kit with a built-in pressure guage. I connected it to my DOA A/C and charged it up. The compressor came on the the A/C started working! :cool:

You gotta love it when things start coming together....

Archived