LegacyGT.com

Durable wheels needed

BigT

So I broke one of my stockers about a year ago and took the opportunity to get some aftermarkets rims. Since then I've been through about 4 bent rims. Granted they were cheap, but the NYC potholes are F***ing killing me. For now I guess I'm going back to stockers, but I'm on the prowl for strong wheels. I can't be shelling out $3000 for rims either.

I hear Rotas are known for breaking, so they're out.

I've heard good things about Prodrives

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This happened to my co-worker on his IS300 (in 2000), came with factory low profile tires. After 4 rims and tire, he went down to 16" rim and tires with taller sidewall. Long story short, Lexus gave him 4 brand new factory rims. I guess too many owners complainted about NYC's potholes.

the clearcoat isn't very thick compared to the other colors. You can spray some extra if you want before getting tires mounted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/DSCN3247crop.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/DSCN3693.jpg

Sounds like your problem may be tires and not rims. Find something with a taller sidewall

I went from the OEM 18 summer tires to 215/50-17 for better winter tire selection, the close match to OEM circumference and the taller sidewall. Pot holes in these parts are getting crazy but my winter set up with ContiExtremes seems to be working really well (knock wood).

I would venture to say 205/50/17 would be good too :) Extra 1.25mm sidewall than the 225's, handling would probably suffer a little, but it would add a very slight advantage in comfort and mpg.

Would be good for snow, but you could go with something 225 with a stiff sidewall or even a 235 for a little extra handling.

SSR makes some strong rims as well you may wanna look into them. Another thing you should do is look at weight of tires and rims. if you get something lighter then the stock setup you will improve gas mileage a bit and you may notice a little extra acceleration.

I went from the OEM 18 summer tires to 215/50-17 for better winter tire selection, the close match to OEM circumference and the taller sidewall. Pot holes in these parts are getting crazy but my winter set up with ContiExtremes seems to be working really well (knock wood).

215/50-17??? - That is not what I'd consider a "close match to OEM circumference", at a full inch bigger. Heck, Xenonk doesn't even list that size as an option in his 'sticky'! If it fits it would certainly help protect against pothole damage. Oh, snap! - you've got a specB, don't you?? I don't think 215/50-17's would work on a plebian LGT. I definitely think the car should have come with taller tires from the factory.

I don't recall seeing any problems with the Rotas in the couple of years I've been lurking here, but I'd definitely recommend going to the 225/45-17 tire size and keeping them well-inflated, like maybe 2-3 psi or so over spec.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

If you want a strong wheel look for something forged or spun, and avoid cast. Most Rotas are cast good wheels for the money but spend a little more and get something better IMHO.

you can't use absolutes. Cheap forged wheels are not better than expensive cast ones.

^ Yes. I do have a Spec.B. OEM size is 215/45-18. 215/50-15 is almost a perfect match. Just the tiniest bit smaller than OEM.

215/50-17s should work fine on the LGT but the speedo would be off quite a bit.

Would it clear the standard LGT suspension? AFAIK, the Spec B has a completely different suspension.

Say a 215/50/17 actually fits on a standard LGT, the difference would be off by 3.4%. So when the speedometer is reading 60 mph, the car is traveling at 62.1 mph.

215/50/17 works beautifully with the Spec B, but I have strong doubts about a regular LGT.

Would it clear the standard LGT suspension? AFAIK, the Spec B has a completely different suspension.

Say a 215/50/17 actually fits on a standard LGT, the difference would be off by 3.4%. So when the speedometer is reading 60 mph, the car is traveling at 62.1 mph.

215/50/17 works beautifully with the Spec B, but I have strong doubts about a regular LGT.

The speedometer calibration is a definite issue. The difference in diameter is .6 inches.

Get some steelies, that way you dont have to worry about anyone stealing them either!

Ahem.... NYC has become a relatively safe city in recent years. But, even our best roads are awful. We just have potholes that most members on here can not even imagine. The folks on here with the 19" wheels wouldn't last 2 days here without nuking at least one of them.

Get some steelies, that way you dont have to worry about anyone stealing them either!

If you know where to get them, please let me KNOW. I have searched all over the Inet and have yet to find them!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Ahem.... NYC has become a relatively safe city in recent years. But, even our best roads are awful. We just have potholes that most members on here can not even imagine. The folks on here with the 19" wheels wouldn't last 2 days here without nuking at least one of them.

Not true, it depends on the driver a lot. I think I could probably do 19's but would never be able to relax and drive so the fun would not be there. 18's are acutally a good size in NYC as long as you get some good strong 18's. The grip I get from my 18X8.5's with Kumho MX is just great, I couldn't be happier, but I do need to stay on my toes quite a bit still.

225/40/18s on Prodrive PFF7 18x8, +51 offset.

They're heavy (close to stock alloys + stock 17 inchers in weight), but I go through NE-Ohio 3-season potholes like no tomorrow.

And yes, we only get about a month or two of "no potholes" up here in Cleveland. You can only guaranty that most potholes are filled by late-August/early-September. And with significant snow possible by mid-October and the inescapable snow-plow and surface treatments, well....you can imagine.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived