LegacyGT.com

215/45/17 vs 225/45/17

TomasTX

I think the 225's just plain look better, in addition to offering more pothole protection. The taller size also should mean better mpg, but nothing I've really been able to notice. Go for it!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Depends what you want. if it's for looks, get the 225.

If you want performance, get a bettter grade of 215. The 215 fits the stock rims better, as a 7" rim isn't optimal for a 225 tire (8" is perfect). The tire composition (sidewall, tread, rubber compound, etc) is more important for better handling than pure width. 215 tires are also lighter in weight, which is also good for performance.

FWIW, my summer wheels are 17x7.5" Rotas, and my wheel/tire combo with 215/45/17 tires weighs 3#s less per corner than the stock setup. the tread width of most 215 tires is about 7.5", which matches my rims perfectly, with a vertical sidewall. And I have been very happy with that combo on the track days I've done.

Ron

Not yet sure...I've read several people talk well about the Kumho SPT's

If you wish to stay in the under-$100 range, here are a few others (based on today's Tire Rack size search):

Yoko ES100

- I love these, and so have others

General Exclaim UHP

Fuzion ZRi

- These are two that I've never had, but both Tire Rack and users on car forums I'm on have liked these a lot.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101

- I have these now for the summer. I took a chance on trying them. After I bought them, the Tire Rack test was not wonderful. They are good on the street, but I have a track day in May which will tell me more.

There are a few other great tires over $100, like the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 (my previous tires) and the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Also the BFG G-Force Sport for $101, but I haven't heard from anyone on those.

Ron

If you wish to stay in the under-$100 range, here are a few others (based on today's Tire Rack size search):

Yoko ES100

- I love these, and so have others

General Exclaim UHP

Fuzion ZRi

- These are two that I've never had, but both Tire Rack and users on car forums I'm on have liked these a lot.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101

- I have these now for the summer. I took a chance on trying them. After I bought them, the Tire Rack test was not wonderful. They are good on the street, but I have a track day in May which will tell me more.

There are a few other great tires over $100, like the Michelin Pilot Exlato PE2 (my previous tires) and the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Also the BFG G-Force Sport for $101, but I haven't heard from anyone on those.

I've had both the ES100's and the G-force sport's on my SRT4. The Yokos's are great in the dry, fair in wet, horrible in ice or snow but very quiet. They wear VERY quick. The BFG's were a better tire all around, were smoother and gripper wet and dry and much better steering feel. I cannot comment on tread wear for the G-Force, they were only on the car for 5000 miles before I traded it. When the car was new, the stock BFG KDW's were so loud you could hear them over the straight pipe exhaust! They sucked in the rain too. So I put the ES 100's on within a week of getting the car.

The fuzions are sourced from Bridgestone, never had them but my RE92 experiences scared me from them. The 92's were not bad tires, just more touring than performance.

I have the Kumhos (ASX's) right now. Not unhappy with them, but I wish I had spent a little more $$ for a step up. With the stock suspension, the Kumho's are satisfactory. My car had a smoother transition from wheel spin on hard launches than the ASX's do. Coilover and sway bar set ups would benefit from a better tire for sure.

PM me if you want a full lowdown review for the ASX's. If yo live in the snow belt, you'll need to consider a 4 season tire.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101

I was looking at these dunlops too, but after seeing the tests, i had second thoughts. i was gonna get the kumho ecsta SPTs anyway.

I was looking at these dunlops too, but after seeing the tests, i had second thoughts. i was gonna get the kumho ecsta SPTs anyway.

Yeah, the comparison test came out "after" I bought them!!

Couple thngs, though. it was compared to some pretty decent tires, so coming in 3rd isn't bad.

The Pilot Exalto PE2 were great tires, and I would have gotten them again if I could have gotten the $100/tire deal I got on the first set. Nonetheless, the Direzzas have a stiffer sidewall than the PE2, so there's a better street feel. The track day will tell all, though.

Ron

Could someone who has switched to 225/45/17 from the stock size tires let me know if the handling is much different? Some have mentioned the 215 are better for handling, which would make sense but is this something that would only be noticable in AutoX and not that noticable in spirited street driving. I was thinking of going to some good allseason 225s for the stockers for the more protection from the curb as well as potholes. Also some brands have a reinforced sidewall (Falken 512), which is something else I would want for 225s on stock rims.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

note...not all 225 are the same "width". I have 225/45/17 RE960's. They are yes taller (we're talking 10mm more overall diameter....5mm height :rolleyes: ). the sectional width is 8.7" on a 7.5 rim. So on a 7" rim it's more like 8.5". Our stock sectional width is 8.6" for the RE92A's on 7" OEM wheel.

Re960's have firm sidewalls so you don't notice the extra little meat on the side of the rim (5mm on each side, that's it people...not much). With a cheaper soft sidewall tire you will notice this more during turn in.

MPG...dunno. But a really heavy tire you will notice mpg loss and slower acceleration.

The little bumps are absorbed better. Taller sidewall helps. But the brand/spec tire will really be the factor.

note...not all 225 are the same "width". I have 225/45/17 RE960's. They are yes taller (we're talking 10mm more overall diameter....5mm height :rolleyes: ). the sectional width is 8.7" on a 7.5 rim. So on a 7" rim it's more like 8.5". Our stock sectional width is 8.6" for the RE92A's on 7" OEM wheel.

Care to translate this for us non-technical folks?

Care to translate this for us non-technical folks?

Sectional Width: Tirerack.....

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

a 7' rim will squeeze the 225 tire inward reducing the sectional width a bit. So a 7.5" rim that measures a 8.7" sectional width on a 225 tire is going to be about 8.5" on a 7" rim. Our stockers (215) are listed at 8.6" on a 7" rim. So all tires are not exactly the same, just like the treadwear rating. The rating is based on that manufaturer's testing. A 200 rated tire from one company may perform as well as a 400 rated tire from another. Look at the RE92A's....160 yet they last 50,000 miles. I had a set of dunlop's on my old car rated at 300+ and I only got about 16-18K out of them.

In those pics - the tires are hankook icebear w300 (winter tires).

I run the very same 225/45/17 W300 Icebears on my stock rims for the winter. The Icebears seem to be narrower than most 225 tires, so the sidewall is still pretty vertical.

Ron

Hmm...i'm still looking around. I want a XL load rating, and I also want an ZR tire. The 225's look tempting but i'm scared that the tire will be too wide, plus the slower acceleration and higher mpg, so i'll stick to the 215.

I had seem some pretty good H's that were good and had a good price, but the speed rating kinda scares me. I don't drive 130 very often (lets say almost never), but if i've been there, I might go back.

I was looking at treadwear too, I used to have some Sumitomo Htr+ and they were the worst tires i've ever owned. Withing 10,000 miles they had all been punctured. The 160 of the RE92 is amazing...I've got 44K and they still have some life left in them.

What a dilemma...lol. I'm taking my LGT to the beach this week..can i get a set of all terrain tires please? :p

Thanks all for posting. Keep the advice comming.

Hmm...i'm still looking around. I want a XL load rating, and I also want an ZR tire. The 225's look tempting but i'm scared that the tire will be too wide, plus the slower acceleration and higher mpg, so i'll stick to the 215.

Dude....you can't tell the difference with a quality tire.

The 225's look tempting but i'm scared that the tire will be too wide, plus the slower acceleration and higher mpg, so i'll stick to the 215.

What a dilemma...lol.

I think you're tilting at windmills here.....the difference between 215mm and 225mm is 0.4".....take out your ruler and look at how small that is versus the approximate 8.5" width of your 215 tire.

As HansGT said, you'll never notice the difference with a quality tire.....plus what he said in his sectional width post.

I switched to 225s and never noticed any difference in mpg or acceleration....just overall better handling and responsiveness over the stockers. The 10mm change in width will be the last thing you'll notice in changing tires. The sidewall stiffness, rubber compound, tread pattern, and all of that stuff will have far, far, far more effect in what you notice behind the wheel.

In other words, comparing the 215mm RE92's versus another brand of tire that's 225mm is comparing apples to oranges......the width ain't gonna be what makes the tires feel or behave different. Just pick the brand/model of tire that fits your needs first and foremost, then even see if it comes in both 215/45 and 225/45. Then you can worry about which size to pick.

Archived