LegacyGT.com

Learning Stick

tophsubie

Oh please... if you rev match the downshifts properly you aren't placing any extra strain on the clutch. You burn more off getting the car moving :rolleyes: At least leave it in the gear you were cruising in until your revs are down to 1,000 or so...

What if someone cuts in front of you and you need to accelerate out of the way but you are not in gear? Or someone is about to hit you from behind? That extra second at 30mph could mean the difference between being hit and avoiding disaster.

Haven't been killed yet.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh please... if you rev match the downshifts properly you aren't placing any extra strain on the clutch. You burn more off getting the car moving :rolleyes: At least leave it in the gear you were cruising in until your revs are down to 1,000 or so...

What if someone cuts in front of you and you need to accelerate out of the way but you are not in gear? Or someone is about to hit you from behind? That extra second at 30mph could mean the difference between being hit and avoiding disaster.

That's how I do it -- and for the same reasons too. Except I'll go you one further: I double-clutch the downshifts. It's a great feeling when the gear shifter slides into gear with no effort or notchiness and the car doesn't jerk at all when you let the clutch out. Ease on the gas and everything is smooth: you have complete control of the car.

Ive got some bad habits too.

For example: I always coast downhills or to stop signs/lights. I never use the engine to brake the car. Dunno why I do it, but I won't ever change.

Yeah, I have that habit as well at stop signs and lights but I keep it in gear for downhills.

I read somewhere that you get better fuel economy by keeping your car in gear on a downhill as opposed to putting it in neutral. I would have thought it'd be the opposite...

I read somewhere that you get better fuel economy by keeping your car in gear on a downhill as opposed to putting it in neutral. I would have thought it'd be the opposite...

that is hard to believe...... while in gear u are revving higher while if in neutral the revs are at idle (below 1k)

higher revs means the engine is using more fuel.

Who said anything about coasting in neutral? I usually coast in gear but I don't down shift to slow the car down.

that is hard to believe...... while in gear u are revving higher while if in neutral the revs are at idle (below 1k)

higher revs means the engine is using more fuel.

The argument with coasting in gear downhill to save gas is based on the idea that fuel injectors don't inject any fuel (or very little?) when you take your foot off the gas. If you leave the car in gear the momentum of the car moving forward is keeping the engine revving so it doesn't need combustion. But if the car is in neutral the engine will need the combustion to maintain the idle. I don't know if this is true or not but there seem to be some truth to it if you pay attention to the instantaneous MPG reading. Leave the car in gear and coast to almost a stop and the reading would say 99.99 all the way. If you put the car in neutral the reading would decrease from 99.99 as you get close to a stop. I think there is thread about this somewhere but don't remember what the conclusion was.

Ive heard this argument before that you get better gas mileage if you coast with the car in gear. I don't because it does slow you down and then you have to accelerate to maintain speed, thus using fuel again.

All I know is that my car has an EPA rating of 21 mpg city and with my coasting I consistently average 23.5-23.8 mpg doing 90% city driving. No complaints here. I guess Im a junior hyper-miler.

Not to brag, ok maybe a little, but I got 30.6 mpg on my last tank. :p This is as calculated at the pump, not what the trip computer says. I usually average around 27-28 mpg with my driving. There are a lot of hills on my commute so I coast in gear a lot, especially if I know there is a stop or red light coming up.

Ive heard this argument before that you get better gas mileage if you coast with the car in gear. I don't because it does slow you down and then you have to accelerate to maintain speed, thus using fuel again.

All I know is that my car has an EPA rating of 21 mpg city and with my coasting I consistently average 23.5-23.8 mpg doing 90% city driving. No complaints here. I guess Im a junior hyper-miler.

In most localities, it is illegal to drive with your car in neutral...

That aside, what if the car is in a higher gear than required? Cars with automatic transmissions do this. In other words, as you coast to a stop, you can keep the car in fifth, fourth, etc (as high as possible but not too high so as to lug/stall the engine as you slow down). This way, there isn't significant engine braking and you're complying with local laws. If you watch the tach closely in an automatic (your average automatic) you'll notice that it waits to shift into second and then first during deceleration as your speed drops below 4-7mph (or thereabouts). You could do that in your car too.

I read somewhere that if try to emulate the shifting pattern of your average automatic transmission (e.g. upshift as early as possible, downshift as late as possible, etc.) you will get better gas mileage.

If you watch the tach closely in an automatic (your average automatic) you'll notice that it waits to shift into second and then first during deceleration as your speed drops below 4-7mph (or thereabouts). You could do that in your car too.

Or I could just get a CVT and be even more efficient than that.

question im on my cell but what is so bad about the manual and the drive by wire?

There's nothing wrong with drive-by-wire (electronic throttle control). What people are complaining about is the default mapping. The throttle tip-in is sluggish -- I would guess this is an attempt to help improve fuel economy.

It's easy to stall the car until you get used to the default mapping -- and it takes some practice to get any decent acceleration off the line due to the delay (I'm not talking launch here).

I understand that you can get the ETC remapped.

congrats on the new ride to be! :)

personally, i have always driven MT, however, with the LGT i wanted something more traffic and multi-tasking friendly so i went with the 5EAT. i've been extremely happy with my LGT thus far and plan to pay it off, keep it, and continue my modding. :D i still enjoy driving a MT, however in traffic and my normal DD, i am happy i decided on the AT. plus, everyone mods MT's, i like having something different (not in your average consumer world, but in the modding/tuner world).

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

did the 05 legacy have drive by wire? I drove a manual wagon back to the dealership only stalled it 3 times but never in the stopped traffic on the highway just one on a small hill and other time was when i could not feel the grab point and the other when trying to back out of a parking space it was not all the way in gear.

Archived