LegacyGT.com

How quiet is the Legacy??

how's the quietness in Legacy? I know you guys are saying that this car is really quiet but i wanna know how quiet it is.....is it lexus ls430 quiet? or something less than that? And does 2.5i has the same amount of sound deadening material as GT? Honda puts more deadening material in V6 accord and hardly any in I4 and i'm wondering if subaru is doing the similar thing.... keep motoring people...

[size=2]Not even close to a Lexus 430. The GT wagon is about average compared to other cars in its class. There is noticeable wind and road noise but it is perfectly acceptable to me. The only time I wish it were quieter is when I am listening to classical or jazz at highway speeds.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]edit: I have performance tires that are marginally noisier than the RE92s. The wagon rear cargo cover reduces road noise to small degree. As the car has broken in (13500 kms on the odo), engine noise is more noticeable making it quite easy to rev match and launch.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Tom[/size]

Well, my LGT is VERY quiet. Even with that though, I notice it gets quieter when I close the visor on the sunroof. Yesterday when I had a loaner LLB Outback from my dealer, I noticed that it wasn't as quiet, I could hear everything going on in the back. So, I think the sedan is a bit quieter, but I think that all Legacies are relatively quiet. Anyone have any 2.5i vs GT experience?

Definatley not like the LS but its quiet. Too quiet for its own good in areas like exhuast and engine tone but its wind and road noise are fine.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='Deer Killer']I've unintentionally launched the car many times because I couldn't hear the engine revving to 4000 rpms while listening to music (at normal levels).[/QUOTE] Define normal levels mine is between 13 and 20 depending on the cd

so there's a some road noise and wind noise? i like to listen to quiet musics like classics and in my accord, engine is really quiet but there's so much road noise that it kills the music and i can hardly listen to it.. what would you guys say about the quietness of legacy compared to honda accord(6th gen)?

[quote name='Accord Lover']so there's a some road noise and wind noise? i like to listen to quiet musics like classics and in my accord, engine is really quiet but there's so much road noise that it kills the music and i can hardly listen to it.. what would you guys say about the quietness of legacy compared to honda accord(6th gen)?[/QUOTE] The only wind noise I've heard (again must turn of everything, climate control, radio, women) is when there is a cross-wind.. no noise going straight.

[quote name='Deer Killer']I've unintentionally launched the car many times because I couldn't hear the engine revving to 4000 rpms while listening to music (at normal levels).[/QUOTE] I've had the same experience as Deer Killer. Compared to my previous cars (WRX, Eagle Talons), it is very quiet. But, it all depends on your frame of reference. You should drive one and judge for yourself, because your frame of reference is YOURS and not mine or anyone elses on this board. I've never driven a Lexus or for that matter any of the other cars that you may have driven to which you will compare it. I do believe that car mags have it around 72 db or so at highway speed (60 or 70 mph?) and that it was comparable to the Acura, Audi and Volvo, to which the LGT has been compared. If it is that important to you, I suggest you drive it, and judge for yourself.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='Accord Lover']so there's a some road noise and wind noise? i like to listen to quiet musics like classics and in my accord, engine is really quiet but there's so much road noise that it kills the music and i can hardly listen to it.. what would you guys say about the quietness of legacy compared to honda accord(6th gen)?[/QUOTE] maybe you should test drive the car and see for your self,that would be the best way to judge. for me, some noise but not annoying at all.

the wind noise is less then my MY02 LGT .... but its still there.... the road noise is all tire to me.... maybe when i replace tires it would be better... or possibly some dynomat. I really don't get annoyed at it until > 75 mph though

How quiet, it's perfect, but I'm definitely going to be putting the Cobb turbo-back on there to open it up a bit. Bit too quiet in the exhaust area for my and the other half's impression. It's quiet enough that I can hear that turbo whine when she's under load and accelerating to velocities recommended against by the local authorities. Guess going from a 97 Legacy GT to this it was night and day and I'm more than happy with it. I like some noise for feedback, get to hear what it's doing. Probably also the reason I run around 40 pounds of pressure in my tires (I say around because front are plus, rear are just minus) and it brings in a bit of road noise and stiffens up the car quite a bit, but then again, I'm not going to keep it stock too long. It's plenty quiet for me, but like the others have mostly said, compare for yourself.

We took one (a GT sedan) for a test drive Saturday. I could still hear my wife talking while we were driving, so it is way too quiet for me! :D Lots quieter than my WRX wagon, quieter than our old '97 Accord (I4 LX), but not as quiet as our A6 2.8. One thing I did notice, is that when I went to downshift, I couldn't hear the engine to rev match. That was a surprise!

It's closer to the Lexus than you might think. My grandparents have an 01 and an 04 LS430 and I have driven them back-to-back for comparison. While the LGT isn't as isolated, it's no noisebucket. All the differences between the 430s and my car were in a good way to me - mine's more nimble, more road feedback, and more powah :) I strongly considered a GS430 before getting a Legacy. I do wish I had headlights that turned with the steering wheel. Once you experience it, you wonder why it isn't on every car.

[quote name='John M'] I do wish I had headlights that turned with the steering wheel. Once you experience it, you wonder why it isn't on every car.[/QUOTE] What happens if you start sliding and have to countersteer? :p Now you can't see anything in the direction the car is sliding.

they don't move around THAT much. The beam is still spread pretty good, they just kind of angle in the direction which you go, nothing that dramatic to where you can't see the other side of the car when you turn. They are neat though, but just one more electrical goodie to break.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']Damn my normal audio is between 5-9 otherwise its really loud. On the highway though with the windows open I'll up it to 20 or so.[/QUOTE] My last car was a 95 camry with a sick sound system in it and i miss that boom so i turn it up to get some vibration

[quote name='Accord Lover']so there's a some road noise and wind noise? i like to listen to quiet musics like classics and in my accord, engine is really quiet but there's so much road noise that it kills the music and i can hardly listen to it.. what would you guys say about the quietness of legacy compared to honda accord(6th gen)?[/QUOTE] My 2001 Accord LX V6 was quieter than my 2.5i. Most of the noise is from the engine. I think the road noise is about the same to a little more. Overall it is a quiet car and I never turn the radio up to more than 12.

Archived