LegacyGT.com

Porsche 944

My dad and I are most likely going to be buying a 1988 Porsche 944 turbo with only 44,000 original miles! The cars owner is the original owner and owner of a foreign car shop. The cars in amazzingg shape! Anyone have any encounters with one of the cars, or any comments on the car? Here's some pics on the car!

759e_3.jpg.6ec5ec7c6cecf6440160787edfc53b0e.jpg

7eab_3.jpg.b1cc0e28990b8d06f1e9dcb5c1fd9bbf.jpg

776e_3.jpg.e3591f099d5c5beef12ac2bec83a0fee.jpg

Oh BTW, it's a stick and the turbo's have 220hp. The car is extremely quick to get up and push you back in your seat! It's a very solid car with no rattles or anything from the drive that I could tell. The cluth is something to get used, it engages right at the very end, but not a big deal.

Great pics and good luck with your job..

Car looks nice, I am sure it will look and feel nicer after you are done....

Those Porsche 4 cyl inline engines with turbo are really peppy and sweet...

I also had an 89 Turbo, great car, and I also chipped mine with an EPROM (can't remember the company name though, increased the torque curve to a open up at lower RPM"s and a little more HP)...

From the engine specs:

displacement 2479 cc

bore 100.1 mm

stroke 79.0 mm

compression 8.0:1

power 220.1 bhp @ 5800 rpm

hp per litre 88.79 bhp per litre

bhp/weight

torque 178.5 ft lbs @ 3500 rpm

Have fun with yours!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Guest subiecity
i was was gonna buy a 944 and make it a tuner car, it was free it had a blown motor and was in great condition same color as up top, non turbo, only thing sucked was i had no idea it was a 4 cyl motor till i got there, suspension is suppsoed to be really good to on those cars

There is a green one for sale up by me with 62,000 miles. Its an 1988 turbo, took it for a spin and that car is quick, great handeling as well. would have purchased it if i had the 8k he wanted for it. The 944 is a great car and even better with the turbo.

Nice pics, good luck with it, cant go wrong with a german car.

if it is a 944, it has a water cooled inline four. Only the porsche 912 and 914 had flat fours, behind the cabin.

I've wanted to build a custom hybrid of a 944 turbo (951) and a 968, with a 3 liter DOHC turbo engine. 450+ hp four-cylinder sportscar coupe FTW!!!

B-pillar backward 944 angular windows, tail lights, underspoiler, etc... and from the A-pillar forward 968 sleek with 928-like round pop-up headlights...

if it is a 944, it has a water cooled inline four. Only the porsche 912 and 914 had flat fours, behind the cabin.

I've wanted to build a custom hybrid of a 944 turbo (951) and a 968, with a 3 liter DOHC turbo engine. 450+ hp four-cylinder sportscar coupe FTW!!!

B-pillar backward 944 angular windows, tail lights, underspoiler, etc... and from the A-pillar forward 968 sleek with 928-like round pop-up headlights...

ur right its an I4

yeah... and technically other porsches had flat fours besides the 912 and 914... the 550 and 356 models, 718, and various racing models...

Porsche is renowned for consistently making some kick-arse machines, that is for sure.

I still don't get the cayenne, though. An SUV just to say they have one... sure it is the fastests, or nearly, as one would expect from Porsche... but still, a big heavy box???

One could go much more wrong than a 951, though. (internal number for 944 turbo models.)

959.... whew, best Porsche by far!

The 944 Turbo is great. Spirited handling, fun to drive, pretty, and a Porsche. Beware of repair costs, as it gets expensive. The timing chain went out on ours and was a $3k job to fix it. For the right price, go for it. You wont find many in that condition with such low mileage.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

big issue is oil-to-water heat exchanger for the oil cooler. Seals tend to break down, and mix oil into the cooling system, and water into the oil. oil residue in the coolant catch tank, etc... and frothy oil are big tip-offs to that problem.

Vacuum leaks tend to be nasty to try and track down.

timing chain service PROMPTLY at 60k mile intervals. if they break, it is an interference-design engine (different parts occupy the same space at different times, but can collide if the timing chain breaks.) and you will bend valves, break them, or break pistons. That is why it costs at least 3k to fix them.

many people complain of poor instrument lighting. there are kits to fix that. Some special porsche tools are required to work on some of the car's systems, but there are home-grown alternative tools out there to be found, like cam alignment, and other specific things...

transaxle is in the back, not bolted to the engine... Rear suspension is quite complex, but very effective. some parts are common, others are not. the car is 20 years old, afterall.

You may also want to verify that it is a turbo, vs a turbo S. Turbo S cars had slightly different engines, with higher horsepower, and standard M030 sport suspension, etc... some were painted a special rose-pink tinged silver with burgundy plaid interior, but others were painted with the other palette colors. All 89 Turbos were the same spec as the 88 Turbo S, while the 87 and 88 Turbo (non-S) were the same.

• 2 weeks later...
in that link the guy just has the regular 944, not the turbo. And he changed out the engine. Our 944 is orignal and in PERFECT condition besides one minor ding.

:confused:

my car is/was an 88 turbo (951). the pics you posted in your first thread are of an n/a car, not the turbo (you can tell immediately by the front bumper and lack of the rear under-spoiler). Hope you didn't pay $9k for an n/a posing as a turbo!

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Definitely make sure there's a snail in there, it doesn't look like a turbo.

If it is you're in for one hell of a fun car. My buddy had one with a Magnaflow catback and performance chip (guy before him put it in). Before that he had a regular 944 (slow but still fun). Be very prepared for potential regular $1000 plus repair bills. Find a good local Porsche mechanic and make good friends with them. It's not like any other car that you can just take to the dealer for service. Porsche dealers won't touch that car with a 10 foot pole.

That being said, it's an awesome car to drive/autoX. Perfect 50/50 weight distribution FTW!

i was was gonna buy a 944 and make it a tuner car, it was free it had a blown motor and was in great condition same color as up top, non turbo, only thing sucked was i had no idea it was a 4 cyl motor till i got there, suspension is suppsoed to be really good to on those cars

ugh...nevermind.

Does anyone know what tend to go wrong with the '88 model 944 turbo? If so how much are things to repair? I went on ebay and they pages and pages of parts for the car!

It says Porsche but you can buy it for $9,000. That should tell you all you need to know about the reliability of these cars.

Other than leaks, overheating, electrical problems, cracked windshields and dashboards (!), transaxle, unusual complexity, rarity, disdain of other Porsche owners, and the likelihood of accident and corner-cutting on maintenance, they are lovely cars. A friend of mine bought one years ago for $17,000 and spent $10,000 in maintenance in one year. The most anyone I know has spent on a 911 is $7,000.

If you are not wealthy people, you should run away from this deal and don't look back.

If you are committed, or still thinking, go to www.pca.org - Porsche Club of America, an absolutely terrific enthusiast group and not 1/10th as snobby as you might expect. While there are some very wealthy people who drive Porsches, there are also many that are just real enthusiasts.

Stay with a Boxer - preferably one with parts that aren't made of unobtamium!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Commitment, that's a good word for it. I would say other Porsche owners frown upon it, my buddy got a lot of waves from all kinds of Porsche owners, new and old. the PCA is cool, my buddy and I used to Auto-X with the chapter in our area. There were some tools but that's to be expected.

Can't stress enough the amount you'll spend in repairs though.

Archived