LegacyGT.com

Question on brake pad install

lhsa

i'm about to embark on my first brake upgrade by installing hawk hps pads.

i looked at vacation pix and noticed there is some grease you need to put on the back of the pads and channels. i think its called moxycote. is that necessary? can i buy something at pepboys instead?

i'm also considering brake fluid swap, which seems a little daunting for a noob like me doing it by myself. should i get speedbleeders?

with respect to fluid, i see ATE Blue as the fluid of choice here. can i buy that at a local store or only through a performance shop? any pepboys choices worth considering?

TIA

CRC Disc Brake Quiet Squeeze ftw. Any brake quiet should work though. That's something you can get locally and not worry about.

I don't think you can get a "high end" fluid at Pepboys, autozone, etc, but you can get a pretty darn high rated Penzoil(iirc) Synthetic Dot3/DOT4 fluid for pretty cheap.

mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

I used a CRC product, named "synthetic caliper grease", it is just like molycote. It is used to keep the back of the metal shim from squealing against the pistons. There are other ones like Permatex, which will do as well. The "Disk brake Quiet" is more of a elastic dampener, to go between the pad backing plate & metal shim.

Speed bleeder's stink, IMO. There are many one man bleeder's out there, but I only trust the 2 man method myself.

As for quality fluid, Pep Boys and the like have the Valvoline Synpower, or something better would be ATE TYP200 GOLD. You should be able to find it at a foreign auto parts store, not the chains. OR perhaps a good local auto parts store. I have used Wagner DOT4, and like it too. I am a big proponent of brake fluid being in metal containers. And all the better ones generally come only in metal.

When I replaced my brake lines, rotors and pads, I also got a set of Speed

Bleeders. It makes changing fluids etc a one man operation. Works like a charm.

I used a meat syringe to pull as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as

possible. Put in the ATF Blue, got a little plastic bag with a hose that fits over the

nipple and pumped until I saw a steady stream of blue fluid coming out. Since you don't draw air back into the system you can get out turn the valve a 1/4 turn to tighten and go to the next side.

Did all 4 wheels by myself in less than 40 min and I had to pump fluid from the master to each caliper!

While I don't have a GT. I got HPS pads and I was happy.

O.

Archived