LegacyGT.com

Another knocking engine

It is my second try of half tank gas - 100 RON Shell stuff, and nothing has changed. Unfortunately...damn.

Subaru needs to take another look at your car, diagnose the problem and fix it. Don't settle for anything less.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will almost always be better off with Euro Spec over US when it comes to suspension.

What do You mean ? I'm not going to compare US and EU suspentions by means of performance and quality ( but I have possibility to compare - in family we own 2 outbacks , one is EU 2006 2.5NA, other US 2005 3.0R ). I'm just saying that many parts differs and sometimes not possible to interchange them. Regarding front shock absorbers - both KYB, characteristcs the same , difference is only in tread joint lenght - it is too short on EU schock absorber for US strut mount. For example strut for US has part No.20310AG04A and for EU part No.20310AG040 . The same story with tie rod - different size of tread joint .

and alot of other parts. The question is why these differences made - on special purpose or what ...( it is much more expensive to keep several product lines with such small but substantial difference.

We have done the oil change to Motul 20W60, did not get better. The noise is still there...???

You can kill any subaru engine very quickly with this viscosity (espetially GT).

Even 5W50 not recommended for normal live and mid climat.

I am thinking the same, they are using this Motul in several other turbocharged engines here in Europe

Just to warn You ...

It's up to You to use any oil . But this oil 20W60 is too thick for civil subaru and Your climat. People making big mistakes when using "high tech, outstanding quality-extreme performance-fuel saving-bla-bla-bla " thick oil that is dedicated for racing engines in extreme conditions and very hot weather. Consequence of comercials....

If somebody using this oil on other turbocharged engines - maybe this viscosity is recommended by car maker.

Somewhere between thud/knocking. Rather thud if I have to choose :spin:

If you're using oil at a rapid pace and you have dull thud noise... it is probably some type of piston failure (cracked ring land) or valvetrain issue (cam bearing or valve guide).

Are you down on power?

Nope, power is as usual :). I was thinking of the valves too, if it were the pistons, I would hear it right from startup, I guess. So bump again, I really do not want to open the engine, but I will not have other choice... :((

Is it a "tick", a dull thud... or a knock?

not to hi-jack this thread - but ours is a quite dull tick - definitely not injectors though, and only at 3000-4000 rpms. probably normal and most people don't here it. The 2.5 turbo has a lot of engine noises even when new.

Check this TSB:

TSB No.: 029304 NHTSA No.: 10011775 TSB Date: November 05, 2004 Failing Component:

Engine And Engine Cooling:Engine

Description of Summary:

Modification of timing belt tensioner bracket to prevent knocking noise.

i vote for check out the tensioner issue mentioned buy these other guys who have had similar problems.

also, i assume the german version of the LGT is the same as the USDM one. 91 octane required, right? i learned in my automotive class that when you run an octane higher than recommended you #1) put out more emissions, #2) get worse gas mileage, #3) lose power (temporarily of course, just as long as that's the gas you're burning).

i would stick with the recommended unless you mess with compression ratio or boost or change from a naturally aspirated engine to forced induction. and save some money. haha i've never even seen 99 octane at a gas station.

good luck with your noise, man. and i'm not trying to be a dick, just relaying something i was told by my teacher. :)

Finally I managed to get a camera that records this dull noise, so here it is when it is warm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zIHupQ6G6Y]YouTube - Legacy GT - Warm[/ame]

When it is cold:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYmt4LMA5lE]YouTube - Legacy GT - Cold[/ame]

A larger version is available, if this one is not enough, just tell me and I will upload that to somewhere else... Do you notice the dull clacking/knocking noise?? Any suggestions?

Arumis555, I have looked that TSB you are referring to, but they are talking about "cold engine"...hmm. I have the noise only when warm. Anyway we well have a look at the tensioner. THX!

Ticking is normal, I do hear the deep thunking noise you're talking about. Is it the same RPM as the motor, or 2x the RPM sound when your Rev the motor. That will tell you if it's longblock or short block.

I'm guessing shortblock. :(

I'm confused, or you're confused: short block vs long block applies here how?

I'm confused, or you're confused: short block vs long block applies here how?

Short block = block, crank, rods, and pistons

Long block = block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, valvetrain

2x the RPM would be a shortblock issue (Piston issue, rod bearing, main bearing, etc) ..... since the cam's spin at half the RPM (Cam bearings, valve lifter, bent valve, etc).....

Short block = block, crank, rods, and pistons

Long block = block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, valvetrain

2x the RPM would be a shortblock issue (Piston issue, rod bearing, main bearing, etc) ..... since the cam's spin at half the RPM (Cam bearings, valve lifter, bent valve, etc).....

Oh, I know the terminology, just never ever heard it applied like that. It's a little odd. I wasn't sure what you meant by it.

It is difficult to say where exatly sound comes from .

When I took my old VW Passat 10 years ago with similar sound to workshop in the middle of nowhere , I was surprised that cause for that sound was found in 3 minutes.

70-year old repairmen in that place was using stetoscope to locate the sound :

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/arumis555/stetoscop.jpg

and found bad ball bearing in water pump ( that was true).

Actually I did use a hollow pipe :) and a screwdriver too, it is coming from the left side (left front corner) of the engine. Apart from the valve noise, I can clearly hear the knocking noise there...so I guess it is nothing to do with the timing belt TSB. Unfortunately...

Mccorry, the noise is not twice the rev, it stays with it, follows the rev - all the time :( I did took my car to a local Subaru workshop, they will try to solve the problem, I will have more info on this by the end of the week.

Archived