LegacyGT.com

DIY Instructions for Brake Pads?

AJChenMPH

Anyone have DIY instructions for changing the front and rear brake pads? Just trying to get a gauge of how easy it is, since I'll probably be swapping pads in and out for track days (assuming I actually get a LGT...still saving up for one ;) ). Thanks. Andy
Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

Subaru brake pads have always been super-easy to swap. Basically: Remove wheel. Remove the lower of the two bolts that hold the caliper in place. Swing caliper up. Remove old pads. Install new pads. Clamp piston back to clear the pads. Put everthing back and ready to go. [Don't forget to pump brakes before driving down the road.]

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='rkkwan']Subaru brake pads have always been super-easy to swap. Basically: Remove wheel. Remove the lower of the two bolts that hold the caliper in place. Swing caliper up. Remove old pads. Install new pads. Clamp piston back to clear the pads. Put everthing back and ready to go. [Don't forget to pump brakes before driving down the road.][/QUOTE] I've always clamped the pads before removing the calipers.

[quote name='axis008']How do you do that? I don't remember if I learned that in auto shop... :confused: :lol:[/QUOTE] Brake hard from about 60mph to ~10mph about 10 times. Drive around to completely cool off the brakes. Repeat. Again, make sure you cool the brakes down completely before parking the car.

Serioulsy lads, I wouldnt know where to even start, I let the boys at SoAU do all of that tricky stuff for me. Dont want to have to press the peddle and have nothing there if you know what I mean. Some things are just better left to the experts. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']Serioulsy lads, I wouldnt know where to even start, I let the boys at SoAU do all of that tricky stuff for me. Dont want to have to press the peddle and have nothing there if you know what I mean. Some things are just better left to the experts. Adam.[/QUOTE] Like YOUR money. :lol:

[quote name='rkkwan']Brake hard from about 60mph to ~10mph about 10 times. Drive around to completely cool off the brakes. Repeat. Again, make sure you cool the brakes down completely before parking the car.[/QUOTE] Most track pads bed in starting with the 100 mph -> 0 mph about 5 to 10 times. Most autocross and really good street pads bed in starting with the 65 mph -> 10 mph bedding speeds. Keefe
Keefe

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not rice at all! I did it on my WRX too- nothing flashy, just black calipers- looks a hell of a lot better than rudty/dusty calipers. :cool:

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this from the dead...now that I actually have my LGT, I'm much more interested in this!

Any special tools for this? What (or what size socket) is used to remove said bolt in post #2? Are the rears the same setup? (EDIT: at least I found the info for the fronts...14mm bolts...)

And where to get those Carbotech pads Keefe likes so much? Thanks...

Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

Pads: Can buy at www.Brakeswap.com

Changing: A few notes:

- Main Caliper bolts: For the rear, you need an extension I think as it's tucked in deep. I think the socket size for front and rear may be different as well.

- Compressing Caliper:

-- I couldn't get my new pads in without compressing the caliper pistons, so I took my calipers all the way off. You can either have someone hold the caliper, or I made a little "caliper stand" I use to set it on so I don't have to disconnect the brake line (DON'T hang the caliper by the brake line...).

-- I use a wood shim and a large C-clamp to compress the pistons.

- Brake quiet: I use, but not sure it's that critical.

- Bleed valves: I always bleed a little after changing if I'm compressing the caliper. Maybe this is unnecessary, but it only takes a couple minutes. I used small box end wrenches for these (I think 10 mm) and surgical tubing to drain into a bottle. To bleed correctly, you need someone to help you by pressing the brake pedal (unless you get a pressure bleeder bottle contraption...I use one).

- Make sure and bed in the pads.

I find it easiest to compress the caliper before removing any bolts. Pull the caliper outward and you'll compress the piston(s) as the caliper slides outboard.

I find it easiest to compress the caliper before removing any bolts. Pull the caliper outward and you'll compress the piston(s) as the caliper slides outboard.

lemme try to understand - you just grab the caliper, while it's still bolted in place, and pull the back it of towards you (as you face the rotor, etc), and it collapses? No 'relief screws' etc, to adjust first? Neat trick, if I can figure it out. :)

Thanks

darin

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Yes, and it doesn't take all that much force.

You will be pushing fluid back out of the caliper into brake lines, and you may need to watch the level in the brake fluid reservoir. You might want to attach tubing and loosen the bleed screw while you do this, especially if you plan to bleed immediately afterwards. I'm not a big fan of pushing fluid backwards. What kind of crud are you pushing back towards the ABS unit, etc.?

--Lee

• 1 month later...

Archived