LegacyGT.com

Top 15 Cars For Teenagers

SLegacy99

maybe by seeing how it reacts to the emergency turn and brake test. where they drive at a certain speed (usually 50mph) then a obstacle would pop out from either the left or right (controlled by tester off to the side of track) and the driver would then have to brake and steer the car around the obstacle without crashing, skidding, etc.

Sebberry, I agree with what you said about teenagers driving newer, safer cars. A Legacy GT negates most of its safety features when in the hands of an inexperienced driver who has delusions of WRC wins. A 2.5i, however, is a good candidate.

I was in England this past summer and was surprised when I learned that one insurance company (i can't remember the name right now) believed in that policy so firmly that they offered teenagers lower rates if they drove certain new cars that had traction control, airbags, and other safety features. The savings were so immense that it turned out cheaper to insure teenagers under these new cars than in most used cars.

well I have "a job" but I dont get paid for it, I teach 7th grade boys suday school at my church

....I'm just telling this for you guyswho think all teenagers are lazy who don't work, you don't everyones situation, yeah mine be pretty bad compared to alot but you never what someones been through....

My prayers are with you my friend.

lol

thanks if your serious, I'm sitting in ICU right now (Intensive Care Unit) been here for 3 days since my surgery monday. my surgery went OK, they took out all the rest of my tumors, but I lost a liter of blood so I was put in here, and once your in here its hard for them to transfer you to a real floor. Keep me in your prayers. Thanks.

The first thing I started talking about when I woke up was my car, my mom said I can get the 08 Legacy GT if I get all A's, which will be my top priotity now, haha.

(son of mike speaking) I think that an FD RX7 is a fine first car, except for that one time involving massive oversteer...

You're kidding, right? I've owned 2 FD's over my 20 years of driving, and I would never ever say that an FD is a "fine first car". High powered, super small, lightweight, and RWD all spell disaster for inexperienced drivers.

IMO a teen driving a nice Legacy or Outback has very little bearing on the kind of person they are (and are becoming). Regardless of if their parents gave it to them, they had to work for it, or they won it on Wheel of Fortune. What's important is the kind of values they are taught and what they perceive as important morally, ethically and otherwise. They can drive whatever they want if the foundation is there and nothing would change. In the end, it's just a car.

:hide:

It's all relative too. If this forum were restricted to an excessively wealthy area in California where teens mostly drove 70K sports cars and Range Rovers then a LGT would seem like a practical and safe alternative.

It's all relative too. If this forum were restricted to an excessively wealthy area in California where teens mostly drove 70K sports cars and Range Rovers then a LGT would seem like a practical and safe alternative.

Thats exactly like the place I live, kids here have the Porsche Cayman's, brand new Corvette's, then have their own practical cars for themselves. Me getting an 08 Legacy is nothing really for my area. Granted there are poorer kids around here, but majority is not.

I grew up in upper middle class suburbia in Northern California - Orinda for those of you out there. And now live in the same sort of area in Connecticut (Simsbury).

I can recall one kid in school (Miramonte, 80') getting a new porsche, totalling it, then his dad got him a corvette. On the other hand, my dad said: "you want a car? you need to get a job, as cars and insurance are expensive..." I did, and eventually bought a Saab 99LE - then learned how to rebuild a motor. My peer group paid for their own toys, and we all learned how to build motors and do bodywork (including one 2002, a v-8 Vega, and a volvo 240 wagon).

My daughter is going to ride the bus to school. There is no need to drive to school and add to the traffic, greenhouse gases, etc. I think one major reason for teenage misfunction is that many of them get handed everything - which leads to really pissed off 20-somethings, once they get out of school and find that the corporate ladder usually starts at the bottom.

If she gets good grades, she'll be in line to get my 05 GT, as she is 13 now, and has a few years to go. She'll be buying her own gas and contributing to the insurance cost. Meanwhile, I need to wait for the TT H-6 diesel Legacy STI that ought to be out any time ...

However, I will "invest" the $$ to take her up to Lime Rock and go to a high performance / defensive driving school. I'd rather her learn car control in the right way, from a pro, rather than try it out on the street. I think the respect she'll learn at a good driving school will help keep her out of trouble.

I'm going to get a 1979 Volvo DL and store it until I have kids. I don't care if I hit the lottery, I don't care if the other high school kids drive Ferrari's and Aston Martin's. My kid is getting a shitty but safe car. He/She will be lucky that I was kind enough to provide them with one. Oh yeah, and they're going to get one of those 2 button cell phones. They can call me or 911 until they make enough money to get a real phone.

My first car was a '93 beater Saturn that I shared with my sister and I thought it was the shiznit. Not because it was fast or flashy but because it got me out of the damn house. My parents didn't even buy me a cell phone. I had to wait until I was 18 *gasp!*

God damn kids with their spoiling parents, loud music and pacman video games.

I agree with what one poster said previously: Kids can drive whatever they want as long as they are taught the right morals and aren't brought up with the misconception that the world loves to hand out money to anybody. It's true, the car a child drives isn't everything that affects how he or she turns out in this world, but its a good indicator of the lifestyle they live. Still, by personal experiences (and I'm sure if you created a survey, then this would prove true) kids driving new 911's are not the most humble, polite, caring folks.

I think anything beyond an LGT is excessive for a teenager. Heck, even an LGT is beyond what a kid should have. As long as you're still in sync with how things work in the "real world," then drive whatever you want and enjoy what mommy and daddy slaved away to provide you with. If you don't take you own responsibilities seriously, I'm sure it'll catch up with you and one day you'll be driving a rusted '72 Impala.

and beatadrum, I'm glad you're alright and hope you're fully recovered soon.

Thanks, today I spent my 18th birthday recovering lol. I told my parents I dont want any presents, but put the money toward my next car. A GT!! lol woohoo! but the GT wont happen if I dont get all A's which I like because now I have something to work toward instead of giving up like the rest of my senior class has done lol.

I'm going to get a 1979 Volvo DL and store it until I have kids. I don't care if I hit the lottery, I don't care if the other high school kids drive Ferrari's and Aston Martin's. My kid is getting a shitty but safe car.

If you're going to get a old car at least get a reliable one. You and your kids will curse the day you ever bought a 70's Volvo, or probably any other decade for that matter.

If you're going to get a old car at least get a reliable one. You and your kids will curse the day you ever bought a 70's Volvo, or probably any other decade for that matter.

Two of my friends are gaga for 1980s volvos for some reason. I think they are semi-reliable, slow, eyesores. And their RWD so theyre not even useful in anything but dry pavement.

OK, I'm going to try and drag this thread back on-topic. I'm compelled to channel J. Jonah Jameson when I look at the list:

Camry - crap. Corolla - crap. Matrix - megacrap. Why no Scion tC? It's just as safe and reliable as the other Toyotas, way cooler, reasonably frugal with petrol and Goldilocks sporty. 160hp in a 2900lb car is not enough to get in trouble but more than enough to merge onto freeways without undue stress. In case it's not obvious by now my daughter got a tC:)

good thing the WRX is not on there, we all rember Mr. Turbo Spool at 12mph guy :lol:

If you have no clue what I am talking about there was a guy on nasioc that wrecked his WRX BTW if you want to know what I am talking about its in this vid, its a good waste of 15 minutes.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=9AgwgE7wvcs]YouTube - Periodic Review of NASIOC Episode 1[/ame]

Archived