LegacyGT.com

Track Day!! Sat. 3/10 on the Horse Thief Mile at Willow Springs. Who's in?

TheSoCalledJohn

I'm seriously considering doing a track day at Willow Springs brand new track, the Horse Thief Mile. This would be my first time taking the Legacy (or anything for that matter) to the track, but from what I've read this looks to be a pretty kick ass track! Very technical driving, turns between 35 and 70 mph, lots of elevation changes... sounds like ass loads of fun to me!

I think I'm just going to go for Saturday the 10th, but you can run on Sunday too if you want and get a discount for running both days. Here's the link to the event site:

http://speedventures.com/3-10-2007_event.asp

There's also a couple in-car videos of the track here:

http://www.wurthmotorsports.com/Horse_Thief_Mile_Hotlap_videos.asp

Let me know what you think! It would be great to have some more Legacies on the track!

Hopefully I'll see you there!

231304662_HorseThiefMilebig.jpg.e4dd084d4f51f058a46b557d73d0f72c.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on dave...Run it too!! bring the OBXT and strike fear into everyone!!:icon_mrgr

It's on like Donkey Kong!!!

One condition though, you have to rally your leggy at the next rally x race in Glen Helen. :icon_bigg

Maybe Boostjunkie can help me out by lending me some MR coilover's for track testing??? :icon_wink

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Horsethief is supposed to be an even tighter track than Streets of Willow. You guys on the stock turbo will love it. My car won't be as easy to drive now that the powerband has been shifted upward. Speaking of which, I opened it up a couple of times today and it is one hell of a rush :wub:

I'd love to go but it doesn't fall on my "non-kids" weekend pattern. Shoot

can't really see having 3 kids wondering around while I'm focused on track time. just not good parenting. and there's no chance for a trade with my ex 'cause she has hospital rotations on those weekends. darnit!

Wow!!! finally someone else besides myself starting up a track day thread in So Cal :)...

So who's in?? Seriously??? Paul? Merv? Dave? Kevin? anyone else???

This is the only track that I haven't driven on in the So. Cal area, being that it is still relatively new. I do have mixed feelings about driving on this track. It is only about a mile long, thus the straights aren't particularly long to achieve any significant amount of speed. I think driving on this track will be more like driving on a canyon road, and will be much more suitable for lighter, more nimble cars... though I could be wrong...

who can I co-drive??

I would offer my car for a co-drive, but I don't think it'd be much fun for you. Bone stock and an automatic to boot? I think it's a little below you...

Come on guys, who's in?? Mark says he'll go if we get more people. I've decided I'm going no matter what you guys decide, I just think it'll be more fun with some fellow LGTs on the track.

You guys have some kick ass cars!! Come put your throttle where your mouth is! :icon_bigg

I would really like to do this. Snodork (Merv) and Boostjunkie (Paul) should be all over this. I want to ride shotgun in a car or two. I would also like to see how the stage 2 Outback does. The date does conflict with a Rally X race that I may or may not do. I compete in my first Rally X race this weekend and I might get "hooked". So I am up in the air a little.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Wish I could say I'd be there, but until the suspension and brakes are set up right, I'm not hitting the track. It'd be nice to try Horse Thief, as that's about the only SoCal track I haven't done yet, but I'd be asking for trouble, lol. :lol:

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would offer my car for a co-drive, but I don't think it'd be much fun for you. Bone stock and an automatic to boot? I think it's a little below you...

Come on guys, who's in?? Mark says he'll go if we get more people. I've decided I'm going no matter what you guys decide, I just think it'll be more fun with some fellow LGTs on the track.

You guys have some kick ass cars!! Come put your throttle where your mouth is! :icon_bigg

No car is below me.. EVERY car is always above me.. I never think that a car is beyond my capabilities.. Im only able to extract 10% of what the car can really do.. you'll be suprised of what cars are truely capable of..

At Bobby Ore's Stunt driving school, they use stock Ford Focus Automatic sedans to practice on.. if any guy that can control a car to do 360s, 180s, 90s perpendicular parking, 2-wheelin, and whatever else stunt moves, that would be the EPITOMY. So seriously, we, the general public, barely even take 2% advantage of what the car is truly capable of.

Keefe

Wish I could say I'd be there, but until the suspension and brakes are set up right, I'm not hitting the track. It'd be nice to try Horse Thief, as that's about the only SoCal track I haven't done yet, but I'd be asking for trouble, lol. :lol:

dude, you dont need anything other than a set of brake pads at the most. I encourage all my newbie students to have a completely stock car with just better tires than the RE92s and better brake pads just so that the brakes and tires dont over heat through out the day.. I have instructed with a student with RE92s and stock pads and it's fine, you just wont be able to drive all that hard for the entire 20-minutes of track session and you need to dial it back on the aggressive driving around the 10 to 15-minute mark per each session.

It's soo much easier to learn car dynamics on a stock car than a modded one because some people make the mistake putting on parts on their car that makes it harder to control... a good example is power mods but no brake mods.. that just kills the drive of the car.. or worse, a lot of power and no tires.. or a lot of suspension but no tires or alignment or brakes...

Keefe

I've had bad luck with my WRX, and know the way I drive, so the best thing for me to do is to refrain until I get things set up properly.

I baked both front wheel bearings in my WRX with the stock brakes and track pads. Literally I baked the bearing grease into sludge. Two days later, the bearings were squealing like stuck pigs. Granted, this is with RA-1's, so I had grip in abundance, but I'd rather not bake the Spec.B's front bearings as well. Once I replaced the front brakes on my WRX with some TWR 4 pots with 2 piece rotors, I had no further problems. My plans for my car are to get the STi Brembos, then add 2 piece rotors to the front. Toss in some XP10's and I'll be a happy camper who doesn't have to worry about the side effects of driving hard for 20-25 minutes at a stretch.

I'm not too good in scaling back my driving. I've tried at times, but it doesn't seem to work out, lol :lol:

I may be new to the Legacy forums, but I've had a fair bit of track experience, from my old CRX to Formula Ford. I'm still hoping to get to take my father in law's 1970 Boss 302 Trans Am car for a spin, but no invitaiton thus far. He has let me warm up the car for him, but drive? Not yet! :lol:

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've had bad luck with my WRX, and know the way I drive, so the best thing for me to do is to refrain until I get things set up properly.

it's your job to be a better driver by steping up to the next level about mental management. As most racers are aiming to drive at 99.0% of the time to allow them some room for error.. so even if they do overdrive the car, they will only reach 100% rather than trying to drive 100% at all times and when the mistakes does come, game over.

This is very true when it comes to endurance races where you need to really think about the car's ability and work with it.. you dont want to fatigue your car too early.. even if you keep driving the car to the limit, eventually those parts will also fatigue as well.. you are the final variable that dictates how long those parts last.. it's all about overall management of both physical car status and mental driver status. As you may have a lot of track experience, I think your next goal is try working on the mental aspect of the driving and knowing the limit and learn how to hold it at the car's threshold, even if the car is fading in performance, it's your job to continue to work with the car until you have to pit-in. It's the same philosophy to threshold braking, only you have to give yourself "threshold braking to your brain". I think once you master this, you will end up going faster.. you'll start to learn how to go through a turn with less braking but more trail-braking, more entry speed, and so forth.. you will eventually surpass your current state simply by overcoming this mental habit of overdriving the car. You'll start finding out that you are going even faster without over-driving the car because you are learning better ways to manage the car based on your mental own-self control. Start thinking about higher entry speeds by not using the brakes as much.. you'll eventually find new ways to get into the turn with less effort..

Also the GT's brake system is designed way better than the WRX (I agree with you on that as I had a 2002 WRX). The WRX front brakes were just under sized for driving.. but of the past 5000 miles with the GT on track, the stock brakes have been doing just fine, and I run stickier tires than RA-1s ;) You just need to know when to slow down a bit on the braking and elongate the braking when you need to give the brakes some time to relax.. even a car gets tired ;)

Im currently running just XP12s or XP16s up front on my car.. I faded a set of XP10s in 90F+ weather. Rotors are fine, the rotor heat doesnt go higher than 1200F. Just replace the brake fluid and you're good to go. The GT's brakes are damn good for what they are for a stock sized rotor. You're not gaining much from swaping to calipers (as the stock calipers give AMPLE clamping force) and the rotor size from a GT to an STi is that you are barely gaining .5" diameter overall.. it's just simply not worth it and you can just run a set of brake ducts that would be way better.

Keefe

dude, you dont need anything other than a set of brake pads at the most. I encourage all my newbie students to have a completely stock car with just better tires than the RE92s and better brake pads just so that the brakes and tires dont over heat through out the day.. I have instructed with a student with RE92s and stock pads and it's fine, you just wont be able to drive all that hard for the entire 20-minutes of track session and you need to dial it back on the aggressive driving around the 10 to 15-minute mark per each session.

That's good to know! Sounds like the exact setup I have! Totally stock except for Yokahama ES100's and some Hawk HPS pads I ordered. I know the HPS aren't really track pads, so am I going to have to take it easy on them towards the end of the runs?

If any of you guys could give me some pointers I'd really appreaciate it too. What to bring, advice about track days in general, stuff like that. Thanks!

This is my first track day, so I'm stoked to break my racing cherry! :icon_bigg

Archived