LegacyGT.com

07 Aux Input Question

deeslk

Not to dog on ya man, but why did you choose WMA? And why 650 CDs worth at that?

While I can appreciate Apple's lossless codec, I am not aware of any advantage WMA has over MP3. At least, none that benefits the consumer.

jim

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold the phone, back this thread up a few posts.

You're actually using physical media to burn CDs from iTunes? If you can't find a program to emulate a CD burner and use that to burn/rip from just use a CD-RW. Why are you polluting our earth with CD-Rs you burn, rip and toss? BTW, what a hassle...

As for having you're entire music collection ripped in WMV, what were you thinking! Oh yeah, you probably used Windows Media Player to rip them all because you were too lazy to download anything else. I suggest re-ripping them from the source or using a good re-encoding package to get them all in to a more universally accepted format (mp3 or flac if they are in the WM lossless format). Might I recommend BonkEnc? I wouldn't consider having my music stored in any format that locks me in to one particular brand/type OS/software/mobile player.

Anyway, that was just a rant. DRM is one of my hot buttons.

As for having you're entire music collection ripped in WMV, what were you thinking! Oh yeah, you probably used Windows Media Player to rip them all because you were too lazy to download anything else. I suggest re-ripping them from the source or using a good re-encoding package to get them all in to a more universally accepted format (mp3 or flac if they are in the WM lossless format). Might I recommend BonkEnc? I wouldn't consider having my music stored in any format that locks me in to one particular brand/type OS/software/mobile player.

Wrong on almost every count. Get your facts straight before you start calling someone lazy; looks to me like you are the lazy one not asking any questions before you spout off.

I use dbPowerAmp using the Dual Pass rip option along with VBR - something that is not available via Windows Media Player. I had first ripped all my cd's as MP3 and then did some substantial comparison testing between WMA Dual Pass VBR and MP3 and found that I could get the same quality as MP3, but with a smaller file size thus allowing me to put more files onto my MP3 Player.

I don't know how WMA could possibly be more accepted. I have 3 different MP3 players that will play them, my DVD player at home will play them, my factory car stereo plays them, my computer at home and at work plays them - even my XM radio plays them.

You may want to do a little bit of research to fill in the gaps.

Not to dog on ya man, but why did you choose WMA? And why 650 CDs worth at that?

While I can appreciate Apple's lossless codec, I am not aware of any advantage WMA has over MP3. At least, none that benefits the consumer.

jim

Thanks for asking, unlike rabydanimal.

Hopefully my reply to rabid answers your question. I actually did this by choice about 3 years ago and the ONLY device I've ever seen that doesn't support WMA is the iPod. Even the Microsoft Zune supports the Apple format. Oh well, after having the Zune for a couple of weeks now I can honestly say it's better than the iPod in several ways IMO; however the iPod still has the lead for accessories and I would suspect it will always be that way.

-jeff

Ok, call me old school. I come from a time when mp3 was the only format accepted on mp3 players (back when they were called mp3 players and weren't fashion accessories). I don't want to use a player produced by the same company that encodes my music. Tomorrow Microsoft can come out with a mandatory update for your Zune that disables the playback of all your WMA music because it doesn't use the latest DRM tech that labels are forcing on them. Or maybe there's an exploit in the way older WMAs are encoded that when played can cause your Zune or Windows to explode? :)

I remember I was using a free trial of the new Napster which uses WMAs exclusively. I use Winamp on my desktop for audio/video playback and all of a sudden one day I couldn't use it any more. Here Microsoft decreed that media players could not play WMA content without upgrading to the latest and greatest DRM'd codec (of course under the guise it would provide better audio quality and smaller downloads!). I had to wait for an update to come out from Winamp to play all the music I had downloaded from Napster. I don't want my music held hostage like that.

Yes that example is with DRM'd WMA music and yes you can get smaller file sizes using WMA with no discernible difference in audio quality. However, I want my music to be in a non-volatile, mature, industry standard format accepted by any device I use. My car stereo does not play WMAs, nor does my DVD player and computers can play any format you have a codec for. I don't want to have to buy in to proprietary technology such as Apple or Microsoft formats.

It's apparent we both know what we are talking about. If you choose WMA, that's good for you. No format is bullet proof but I'd bet most people would agree support for mp3s will never go away. Long after Microsoft and Apple bite the bullet mp3s will still stand like cockroaches after a nuclear blast! I'll stick with my old school ways thanks. Damn kids with their pacman video games, loud music, and their new fangled audio formats.

...the ONLY device I've ever seen that doesn't support WMA is the iPod...

The Turtlebeach Audiotron only supports MP3 and WAV.

And I've got a Panasonic Discman style player that only plays Redbook and MP3. Both of these devices are quite old (circa 2000), but they still work. And, no one has produced a complete replacement for the Audiotron. My Zen NX is the first thing I've bought that supports a newer format. While I have a Zen Vision, I don't use it for music.

I guess what it comes to for me is that I've devices that predate widespread WMA acceptance. Much of my stuff got ripped before Media Player 9 was released. And, while WMA support is indeed widespread, MP3 is the only format that is so well supported, it is a gimick in other devices (TVs, DVD players, and toasters that play MP3s). No one asks whether a device supports MP3 any more because they all do.

I use EAC and LAME to do a three pass VBR MP3 encode. Tag information is pulled from FreeDB.org

Jim

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

I agree that not ALL devices support WMA's. Heck, I have a Diamond Rio that would have no way of playing them, but of course I never use it since it's a joke compared to todays players.

I should mention that not a single song I have ripped from CD's have DRM, so that issue doesn't come into play here - at least for me.

I should specify that I am in no way against MP3. Far from it, many of the songs I have are the defacto std. (MP3); WMA just happens to be my personal preference. The important thing is that all of us are listening to music. At least that's what matter to me the most.

-jeff

Guest Gitster
Hold the phone, back this thread up a few posts.

You're actually using physical media to burn CDs from iTunes? If you can't find a program to emulate a CD burner and use that to burn/rip from just use a CD-RW. Why are you polluting our earth with CD-Rs you burn, rip and toss? BTW, what a hassle...

Are you serious?? Try opening a Protected file purchased from Itunes from another player. Itunes deauthorizes itself, its gold. This argument is never ending. Im happy with my 50GB of UNPROTECTED music, which can be played in ANY player, and converted to ANY format.

Unsubscribe.

Why has this thread degenerated into an iTunes/DRM music file discussion, ppl ought to really start a new thread on this. I dont think ppl who are curious about the aux input want to read about itunes related crap

Guest Gitster
I think the OP was answered in the second post. It was one of the more simple and basic questions of all time. Im not sure how much more into depth we coulda gotten about a headphone jack. Oh sh1t im supposed to be unsubscribed.

Archived