LegacyGT.com

07 Aux Input Question

deeslk

Ah, the old Mac vs. PC routine. The prejudice is intense.

<Taken entirely from personal experience. And, in no way, should be taken as an accurate sample of the demographic.>

I've only met a handful of MAC guys. And most of them were good nice guys...until they sensed their platform preference soming into question. I've never seen someone turn rabid for anything like that.

I found the interface frustrating because their are fundamental differences in how things are done in OSX vs Windows. They aren't necessarily better or worse. They're just different. For me, it generated a slightly steeper learning curve than I suspect someone who is learning PCs would experience.

I love my Mac friends. They give me something superficial to argue about.

NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TOPIC!!!

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gitster
Haaa, my personal point here is IM NOT A MAC GUY!!!!! I used PCs for 12 years and just recently purchased my first Mac a month ago. I use BOTH. I just feel sh1tting on Macs is like being anti Japanese cars cause you fought in WWII, and voted for Bush and his father, not knowing that my car was made in America. Ok now im ranting, good day.

I've only met a handful of MAC guys. And most of them were good nice guys...until they sensed their platform preference soming into question. I've never seen someone turn rabid for anything like that.

Sorry to go off topic, but lol!

Same thing happens to me. I work at best Buy and you can alway tell a Mac person, because they think everytime Apple realeses a new product (IE the iPhone) that it will dominate and destory everything on the Market. Infact this one customer told me once the iPhone comes out, AT&T will wipe Verizon, Sprint and T-mobile off the map. But i dont know anyone who is gonna pay 600 dollars for a phone plus a 2 year contract.

Boy has this gone off topic!

I was going to start a new thread but might as well keep it going...

My iPod has for one reason or another has renamed songs!?! For example a bunch of my DMB songs are now labeled as Blind Melon w/song & album name too! Same thing on a few others...very frustrating if I want to find something.

First what the hell caused this?

Second I guess the only thing I can do is go in and rename them correctly and reload the orginal?

Oh 99% of my music is copied off my CD collection I have bought only a few CD's online/iTunes

Frustrating...

Boy has this gone off topic!

I was going to start a new thread but might as well keep it going...

My iPod has for one reason or another has renamed songs!?! For example a bunch of my DMB songs are now labeled as Blind Melon w/song & album name too! Same thing on a few others...very frustrating if I want to find something.

First what the hell caused this?

Second I guess the only thing I can do is go in and rename them correctly and reload the orginal?

Oh 99% of my music is copied off my CD collection I have bought only a few CD's online/iTunes

Frustrating...

iPods act weird sometimes, just go in and re name each..i know it sucks, it took me days to get my library the way i want it. I have a problem when i add some songs, they will not even show up on my iPod, but when i plug it into my PC and look at the library from iTunes the song is on there, but not showing on the iPod. Usually all i do it just make up an album name (which is usually the problem, a missing album name) SO ill just write "Unknown" for the album

I will never use software that renames/retags my music (iTunes, Zune, Creative Mediasource or whatever the hell it is). In my 55gb music collection probably 10% of it is tagged correctly. ID3 tags FTL. I've owned many mp3 players going all the way back to the Diamond Rio (yeah, anybody remember that thing?) Any player that forces me in to using proprietary software to transfer songs and then forces me to tag all my music properly just so I can find it on the player is ridiculous. Give me an mp3 player that I can connect with a standard 5 pin mini USB cable and have it pop up as a removable drive on any OS I prefer and let me copy my music over.

Why is that so hard!?! oh yeah, because we have to have DRM now...

Nobody is going to buy the iPhone because Cingular won't subsidize part of the cost. Unfortunately the iPod is too entrenched to go anywhere and it's too easy to use.

I heart my Archos AV500 BTW :).

</rant>

I will never use software that renames/retags my music (iTunes, Zune, Creative Mediasource or whatever the hell it is). In my 55gb music collection probably 10% of it is tagged correctly. ID3 tags FTL. I've owned many mp3 players going all the way back to the Diamond Rio (yeah, anybody remember that thing?) Any player that forces me in to using proprietary software to transfer songs and then forces me to tag all my music properly just so I can find it on the player is ridiculous. Give me an mp3 player that I can connect with a standard 5 pin mini USB cable and have it pop up as a removable drive on any OS I prefer and let me copy my music over.

Why is that so hard!?! oh yeah, because we have to have DRM now...

I heart my Archos AV500 BTW :).

</rant>

+1 for mp3 player connecting as universal mass storage devices.

+1 for Archos

However I gotta disagree on the tagging. While I don't use it for organization on my PC (careful file naming and complex directory structure prefered), Until recently, I hadn't come across an mp3 player that didn't at least support tags.

To go one step further, without mass tagging software, getting a consistant organization structure would be too cumbersome. I'd be renaming every file by hand, and entering typos all over the place. Even w/ my meager CD collection, I'd go insane.

Besides, one can have files that are properly named and tagged at the same time.

-Jim

Guest Gitster
Itunes doesnt retag unless you tell it to, I keep Itunes on SemiAuto so it doesnt do anything stupid to any device, I control it. Thats how I like it.

Since this thread seems to be about the iPod now and most everyone hates iTunes...check out the below site. The program works AWESOME on my wife's 2nd gen Shuffle and I know for a fact it also works on the 1st gen Shuffles. I haven't tested (and doubt) it will work on the "big" iPods though.

You don't have to install iTunes; all you do is copy music to a folder on your Shuffle and then run this program (that is stored on the Shuffle) and it rebuilds the directory. You aren't tied to just one computer like with iTunes!

http://agoraphobeus.free.fr/iShuffle/index.html

That is like only being able to play CD's that I buy at wal-mart on a CD player I bought at wal-mart.

Up to 5 CD players bought at Wal-mart. And you have to unregister one, before you can use another.

It's not an exact analogy, but it illustrates the issues well enough.

-Jim

Ipod can be used as a mass storage device that appears on the desktop. Apparently all of the ipod haters are to dumb to figure that out. It can also be used to just drag and drop with no automatic loading. Read the manual

Ipod can be used as a mass storage device that appears on the desktop. Apparently all of the ipod haters are to dumb to figure that out. It can also be used to just drag and drop with no automatic loading. Read the manual

I don't own an iPod nor have ever used one with the exception of the Shuffle but I have a question. So the iPod can be used as a mass storage device...you can put all the songs you want on it and transfer to another computer but you cannot play those same songs on the iPod without going through iTunes, correct?

Guest Gitster
No, all you have to do is burn the music to a CD and rip it back to your Comp. That takes the Protection off of the files bought from Itunes. If you use the Ipod as a MSD, then it doesnt show up in the menus, its just being used as a storage device. But you can transfer music from computer to computer this way. You can play the songs with any music player, im pretty sure unless its a protected file. Then you just burn and rip to unprotect. You can choose to import in Itunes under any format you like. Theres nothing in Itunes that prevents you from playing music anywhere, you just gotta know how to use it.

Can anyone independently verify this? I don't own a proper iPod (or the manual), but I'm pretty sure that this isn't strictly true. My understanding is that 'something' needs to update the internal index before the iPod will play anything that has been added to it.

Now, that 'something' doesn't NEED to be iTunes.

-Jim

Guest Gitster
I just did verify it, i've been using it for years to backup my computers while formatting them and re-installing OS's. Its just a hard drive with software on it. Nothing special. The files you put on it as a mass storage device CANNOT be played through the Ipod, it doesnt recognize them. Unless there is a utility that rewrites the Library on the Ipod to play it. But it doesn't matter there is no need to do it this way. I just use it to transfer files, not necessarily music.

I just did verify it, i've been using it for years to backup my computers while formatting them and re-installing OS's. Its just a hard drive with software on it. Nothing special. The files you put on it as a mass storage device CANNOT be played through the Ipod, it doesnt recognize them. Unless there is a utility that rewrites the Library on the Ipod to play it. But it doesn't matter there is no need to do it this way. I just use it to transfer files, not necessarily music.

I also do this. I have about 12gig of stuff stored on there at the moment.

And RE: music downloaded from itunes not being playable on any other mp3 player, this is true, however, it can be solved easy enough by burning them to an audio cd through itunes, and re-ripping them. A pain? perhaps, but then again, most itunes downloads aren't more than 128kb/sec mp3s anyways.

Thats why i typically only download a song here or there from itunes, rather than full albums.

Yes, I know that it functions as a mass storage device. But I wanted to verify that it did NOT play music that was loaded in this way (drag-n-drop thru explorer). Wasn't sure if that was being implied.

The Archos media players do. All you gotta do is dump music into the music folder and your done. Absolutely NO extra software needed.

As for burning CDs to get around DRM, that is not a solution I am willing to accept. The whole point of going digital is to pack away all those CDs perminently. If it works for you, go to it. But, if I want CDs of music, I buy CDs of music.

Don't get me wrong. The iPod (price withstanding) is a fine piece of equipment. No one has yet been able to match the interface, 3rd party support is through the roof, and (without iTunes) it is something I might own if I had a use for it.

:soap_box:

-Jim

Guest Gitster
Well considering I pay $.05 for a cd-r, It takes about 3 seconds of my time to burn and then another 3 seconds to rip it back to my library. The rest of the time i just let it run. I toss the cd-r when im done. IT IS a solution that I have FULLY accepted because it takes zero of my personal time / money. Itunes does it all for me as well. But thats just like my opinion man. Itunes has never given me a problem, it is super easy to add misuc to my library / ipod, whatever. And as for as buying music from Itunes goes, BIT TORRENT FTMFW. Even though I do not endorse illegal activities, F Metallica.

Well considering I pay $.05 for a cd-r, It takes about 3 seconds of my time to burn and then another 3 seconds to rip it back to my library. The rest of the time i just let it run. I toss the cd-r when im done. IT IS a solution that I have FULLY accepted because it takes zero of my personal time / money. Itunes does it all for me as well. But thats just like my opinion man. Itunes has never given me a problem, it is super easy to add misuc to my library / ipod, whatever. And as for as buying music from Itunes goes, BIT TORRENT FTMFW. Even though I do not endorse illegal activities, F Metallica.

I'm missing something here, if you already have the ripped song on your iPod that you got via iTunes why burn it to a CD and then rip from the CD, thus losing more quality during the process. I'm sure I just missed something somewhere in this thread.

I just purchased a Microsoft Zune and am extremely pleased with it. I would have considered an iPod, but sadly they do not support WMA which all 650+ of my cd's are ripped as. The other nice thing about the Zune setup is I can play either purchased songs from Zune Marketplace or downloaded songs from Zune Pass (ie. iTunes) on my Creative Zen Xtra 40GB MP3 Player. Doing so doesn't require any additional steps like burning and ripping, just a simple copy and paste to the Zen as an external hard drive directly via XP. I must say it just doesn't getting any better!

Archived