LegacyGT.com

Color match?

After having my new car for three weeks of study, I've noticed that it seems that EVERY body panel has a different color. The silver color is a little different everywhere I look. The bumpers, the doors, the hood, even the lower part of the trunk lid where the license plate goes. You get the drift...:( My last silver '06 Legacy had a consistent color to it. Do they paint each part separately and assemble it at another location? Anybody else notice this about theirs?

Oh, and BTW it doesn't seem to have as high of gloss that the other one did.

Ya, but it's right off the assembly line.

What can they do? Repaint it?

IMHO, I just don't think a body shop can match the quality of the factory job.:(

:icon_conf just about any shop can give you a far superior paint job compared with the factory paint

And for free - because it's a warranty item. One guy on here had a spot on his Spec B hood and they repainted his whole hood (or replaced it - I don't remember).

However, getting the dealers to agree that it needs a repainting will probably take a lot of diplomacy.

getting the dealers to agree that it needs a repainting will probably take a lot of diplomacy.

I may just have to learn to live with it... I don't know if I want the hassle of it. It may just give me a reason to trade it in on a new one...:lol:

The paint actually appears different depending on whether you are looking at the aluminum panels or the plastic bumpers.

Go back to the dealer and look at the other Subaru's on the lot, you'd be amazed how different my bumpers can look from teh other body parts.

My pearl white wgon is especially different in shady daylight conditions- but I know the paint is the same all over.

The paint actually appears different depending on whether you are looking at the aluminum panels or the plastic bumpers.

Go back to the dealer and look at the other Subaru's on the lot, you'd be amazed how different my bumpers can look from teh other body parts.

My pearl white wgon is especially different in shady daylight conditions- but I know the paint is the same all over.

Thanks for the word of encouragement!:)

No problem. THis complaint has been raised by other members here in the past.

A friend of mine, who is a professional body man at Freightliner, bought a Jetta GLI a couple of years ago in charcoal grey and he couldn't believe how much each body panel on his car appeared different depending on what the panel was composed of... his expert opinion was to put it in the spray booth and re-spray the whole car, but then realized it would have come out the same again and would have been a waste of time.

And VW paint is pretty nice, and good quality too... in my opinion.

He has since sold it for a Magnum and hasn't complained about it's paint yet... go figure.

Its gonna be tough to go to the dealer and complain when you dont know what kind of car you bought.

I own a Silver car. Hey wait a minuite now -- I've been set straight... I now own a Legacy Outback. Been settled in another thread.

BTW - I owned a 2000 Jetta, a 2005 Jetta, a 2005 Grand Cherokee, and a 2006 Legacy (it really was a Legacy - look at my avatar) -- all silver (of course) and none of them had any bad color matches. Maybe my car was started on Friday and finished on Monday...

that would explain.:iam:

Archived