LegacyGT.com

How quickly does yours start in the cold am?

Rogue

I ask this because it seems mine is a bit sluggish when I first start it up in the morning. Temps are usually 35 to 45 but even as high as 50-ish. Once I turn the key it takes the engine like 3 to 4 revolutions to actually fire, to a point where I'm like "hmm that's kinda odd it takes so long". I had an WRX before this and I don't remember that boxer being so sluggish to start in the am. I may record the actual starting sound and post it if I'm the only one having this issue hehe. Have you guys noticed this?

Yes, our 2005 2.5 GT turbo is a slow-start compared to our 2000 2.5 GT. Engine tight? ECU and temp sensors cycling before fire-up?

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I let the fuel prime (you'll hear the fuel pump working if you pay attention to it when you put the ignition to the 2nd position and here this whining sound from the trunk for like 2 seconds or less); the radio, HVAC, headlights and anything else turned "off", car just fires right up in a .5 sec or less. Keefe
Keefe

For mine, I usually turn the car on to position 2 with the key, wait a few seconds for the pump to kick in and finish, then I turn it over. The Scoob isnt like the Honda I used to have, it used to fire on the first go. The Scoob usually will wind over a few times then kick. Nothing un-normal at all, you could upgrade yr battery that would be a good starting point and King Of Imports has some trick gear if yr interested. Anyway, keep an eye on it and keep us posted. Adam.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Mine starts little slower than my WRX did, especially in the colder weather. I had a real slow start the other day- it was cold and I left the dome light on all night after working on something in the cabin.

Could be the stock battery too. It's got fairly marginal CCAs so any drop in temperature will affect it's performance. Switch to an aftermarket battery with high CCAs and I bet you'll see quicker starts. Ken

Great suggestions guys! I also read that in the drive magazine about making sure all the accessories are turned off before starting the car which I always have done just because it seemed to make sense. But i'll let the fuel pump complete it's cycle before actually putting the spark to it. Nice to know it's not just me hehe god I love this board!

[quote name='kanoswrx']I allways let the fuel prime as well before starting the car, warm or cold. Engine allways starts right up.[/QUOTE] i do the same here. i've never had an issue with the LGT not starting up right away....except when i spun out and stalled the engine....

but... but... if getting into your car and starting it right up takes 4 seconds... and you claim to save time by priming it... witing 5 seconds... then having it crank in .5 secods is NOT saving time!! i do start the fuel pump prime thing.. kind of neat...

Archived